Double scooters

Status
Not open for further replies.

haredi

Earning My Ears
We are planning what will be my father's last trip to Disney in January. He is going blind and needs oxygen, so he cannot drive his own scooter. My mother is also having hip issues and is unsure whether she can walk all day. I know they make double scooters that are front and back. Does anyone know if they rent them at any Orlando scooter rental company?

WDW rules require that a mobility device be single-user. Could someone push Dad in a wheelchair?

I thought that might be the issue. Yes, that was the plan if the double scooter was not an option. We will definitely get our exercise! I was just concerned about later at night when due to his eyesight, he cannot go to the parks. He and my mother will have to fend for themselves at whatever resort we stay at. Thanks for the quick reply!

We are planning what will be my father's last trip to Disney in January. He is going blind and needs oxygen, so he cannot drive his own scooter. My mother is also having hip issues and is unsure whether she can walk all day. I know they make double scooters that are front and back. Does anyone know if they rent them at any Orlando scooter rental company?
I have never heard of any company renting double ECVs.
As lanejudy mentioned, WDW rules require mobility devices to be single rider. They also need to be no more than 36 inches in width and no more than 52 inches in length. Anything bigger than that can’t be accommodated in lines, attractions, buildings or transportation.
The double width ones are likely wider than 36 inches and the ones where the riders are single file are around 78 inches long.
6D09A40F-E2B0-46BB-B993-AA44639B6F3C.jpeg

WDW rules require that a mobility device be single-user. Could someone push Dad in a wheelchair?
That is the rule as written, But DH& I have seen some double ECVs that they have allowed in, so there is obviously some exception that can be made, I just don't know what that is or where the line is. DH also saw one towing what could only be described as a trailer at EPCOT. There were also ones that had infant child seats, stroller attachments and other items that per the written rules shouldn't be allowed.

As I said, I don't know where the lines get drawn, but I suspect calling disability services is the best way to find out what the real answer is.

That is the rule as written, But DH& I have seen some double ECVs that they have allowed in, so there is obviously some exception that can be made, I just don't know what that is or where the line is. DH also saw one towing what could only be described as a trailer at EPCOT. There were also ones that had infant child seats, stroller attachments and other items that per the written rules shouldn't be allowed.

As I said, I don't know where the lines get drawn, but I suspect calling disability services is the best way to find out what the real answer is.
And, seeing one doesn’t necessarily mean an exception was made. It could be someone didn’t know or didn’t notice it.
If they let one in, there Is still the issue of it not fitting in lines or attractions and not being able to fit on transportation.

And, seeing one doesn’t necessarily mean an exception was made. It could be someone didn’t know or didn’t notice it.
If they let one in, there Is still the issue of it not fitting in lines or attractions and not being able to fit on transportation.
If they didn't need transportation, for example if they drive, that isn't an issue. Some won't need it for the line itself. There were enough around to know there are exceptions being made. One even had a sticker or something on it saying it has been checked by Disney and is indeed allowed in the parks, but not on the buses and it was clearly not a fake it if it was, it was the most impressive one I have ever seen. And you are right, they wouldn't fit on attractions, but again this using them might not need it for that, it might just be for distances.

I am not saying that some shoulder or shouldn't be allowed, just that they are. I would estimate having seen about 15 over the 10 days that were distinctly unique. But trying to be difficult, just saying a one of, I would agree, but there were enough that it wasn't a one of, but not enough to say it was super common.

If they didn't need transportation, for example if they drive, that isn't an issue. Some won't need it for the line itself. There were enough around to know there are exceptions being made. One even had a sticker or something on it saying it has been checked by Disney and is indeed allowed in the parks, but not on the buses and it was clearly not a fake it if it was, it was the most impressive one I have ever seen. And you are right, they wouldn't fit on attractions, but again this using them might not need it for that, it might just be for distances.

I am not saying that some shoulder or shouldn't be allowed, just that they are. I would estimate having seen about 15 over the 10 days that were distinctly unique. But trying to be difficult, just saying a one of, I would agree, but there were enough that it wasn't a one of, but not enough to say it was super common.

Right... but let's not set *any* expectations here other than what the official rules say... We don't want to be the reason why someone goes to WDW, and then can't do X thing - even though it's not allowed - but then they blame the good folks on the DISboards for a bad vacation experience, KWIM?

Some of those you saw might have been pixie-dusted. Others might have yelled and screamed until they were allowed through, and others might have had some other (case-by-case basis) allowance. Unless we know 100% sure why the rules are being "broken", we need to err on the side of the official rules & regs that Disney sets out.

(And I'm not busting your chops, or picking on you to be mean - you know I genuinely respect your opinion, and generally we agree on everything! Just don't want someone to misunderstand what you are reporting)

Right... but let's not set *any* expectations here other than what the official rules say... We don't want to be the reason why someone goes to WDW, and then can't do X thing - even though it's not allowed - but then they blame the good folks on the DISboards for a bad vacation experience, KWIM?

Some of those you saw might have been pixie-dusted. Others might have yelled and screamed until they were allowed through, and others might have had some other (case-by-case basis) allowance. Unless we know 100% sure why the rules are being "broken", we need to err on the side of the official rules & regs that Disney sets out.

(And I'm not busting your chops, or picking on you to be mean - you know I genuinely respect your opinion, and generally we agree on everything! Just don't want someone to misunderstand what you are reporting)
Definitely, which is why I suggested that they should call disability services and get a direct real answer from Disney, I just don't have the number handy. At bare minimum if they explain the situation to them, they may be able to make some recommendations that are fully within the rules.

Closing this thread since the OP question was about renting a 2 person ECV, which has been answered

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter