double booking car rental?

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by dizfanz, Aug 20, 2002.

  1. dizfanz

    dizfanz My goal in life is to be as good a person as my do

    Jun 4, 2001
    I have booked National and Dollar for a trip in 4 weeks. Dollar has the better rate. How long can I wait to cancel National without incurring a penalty fee?(Is there a fee if I do not cancel and do not pick up?) I realize I would not want to hold a car up if someone else needed it, but I have never dealt with Dollar and have heard many having a back-up. Is this poor manners?

    Thanks for any input related to this.

  2. beattyfamily

    beattyfamily DIS Cast Member<br><font color="purple">Has Oodles

    Jul 13, 2000
    From what I've seen and read, there is no penalty unless maybe they have your credit card on file; then I wouldn't chance it.

    National's website says they do have a 'no-show' fee... but I don't think the others do. If they don't have your credit card, then they can't charge you anyway...

    I'm holding a reservation for National (my prefered rental company) Full size for 8 days at $205 hoping it will come down. Then I also have a Dollar reservation since the ENTERTAIN code is giving such a good discount. $185 for an Intermediate with a coupon for a free upgrade.

    As my trip gets closer, I'll decide between the 2 but I won't keep both and just skip out on one; I'll cancel it before I leave for my vacation.
  3. denisenh

    denisenh used to have tags

    Jan 25, 2000
    I have often held 2 car rental reservations at a time but it is temporary and I always cancel one well in advance of my trip. I have never held 2 rental reservations upon arrival at the airport and have never had a problem of any kind.
    I would like to believe that car rental problems are very rare but maybe we have just always been lucky.
    I haven't heard many, or any, for that matter, bad things about Dollar. I have used both National and Dollar.
    I am trying Hertz for the first time next week and don't feel the need for a "back up".
    I say take the better deal and cancel the other and then don't worry about it.
    (It is so nice to hear someone worried about poor manners! :) Have a great trip! )

Share This Page