Dorm Room Help

Both Bed Bath & Beyond and Linens 'n Things have lists available for free of every possible thing you can thing of for collegiates. My mother's list is frayed after many years of use! :)

Just something to add about the shower caddy - make sure it is not solid at the bottom....it needs to be wire or have holes in the bottom so it will drain and not get disgusting. And again, flip flops to wear in the shower. Hall baths can be kinda yucky even in the nicest of dorms.

If she has a roommate and they give you their contact information before they move in, do call them! I did that every year I had a roommate (or two) and that way we split up who brought the TV, VCR, stereo, answering machine, recliners... etc. We went all out in our dorm rooms and basically had it all, yet we didn't have so much stuff that we didn't fit right in it.

Make sure you get them their own laundry detergent. I cannot even think of how many people didn't remember to bring that or other types of cleaning supplies. A small tool kit really came in handy more than once (hammer, nails, screwdrivers, pliers... the basics). Otherwise I cannot think of anything else that I did that others haven't mentioned.

I just wanted to bump this because I know people are starting to go back to college now.

I don't think I saw extension cords mentioned. My DD's freshman dorm room only had 2 outlets!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Instead of cinder blocks, they make heavy duty plastic lifts that are designed for raising beds. I saw them at the Westpoint Outlet store.

My DD and DS's stick vacs are very popular items from what they tell me. Most kids put down a rug over the tile floors that are in many dorms.

We got our college students cell phones. They also need their own phones for the room.

It's exciting, isn't it? Best of luck to you.:D

Came back to add a fan. My DS's dorms are air-conditioned but DD's are not.

When I went to school the coolest rooms had both of the beds lofted and wall to wall carpet remnant. The whole floor becomes a couch, 2 desks, fridge/micro + entertainment system.

Now I didn't have that but I did go in on the carpet for the whole floor.

It's been a few years (quite a few actually), but everyone would hang one of those dry-erase boards on their dorm room door so that your friends could leave you messages if they came by while you were out.

Also, be careful with extension cords, they are not for permanent use. A power strip with multiple outlets is safer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!