Doorway to Dream event mobbed

You're invited to join Disney Vacation Club on November 20th at Roosevelt Field® for a
special celebration to kick off the holidays. Drop by with your family and come mingle
with your fellow Members as we celebrate with Disney and
Cameron Macintosh's Broadway musical Mary Poppins.

Create memories that will last a lifetime by performing a show-stopping
number in a high-energy workshop−as a Disney Teaching Artist takes you
through the unique tongue-ticklinglyrics and bodybending choreography of
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from Mary Poppins.

Plus, don't forget to pick up your family's Disney Vacation Club Member
exclusive holiday ornament for 2011.* You can also check in with your
Vacation Club Guide for exciting Member news and promotions.

Let the festivities begin!

Member Mix-n-Mingle

November 20, 2011
11:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m..

Disney Doorway to Dreams
Roosevelt Field
Nordstrom Wing, Upper Level

For more information, please call 516-535-3220

We can't wait to wish you Happy Holidays!

*Ornaments are available only to Members and while supplies last. Limit one ornament per Member household.

Limit 6 Guests per Member ID.

THIS PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL IS BEING USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING SALES OF TIMESHARE INTERESTS.

Not an offer where registration or other legal requirements for timeshare solicitation have not been met.
General Product, State, & Country Disclosures

This is a promotional email. If you do not want to receive future commercial emails at this email address from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. (1390 Celebration Boulevard, Celebration, Florida 34747), or other Disney entities that advertise or promote Disney Vacation Club products or services,click here

©Disney

They really shouldn't market it as a member mix-n-mingle when its really an "open to the public marketing event".

We drove the hour to Woodfield mall.. saw the 1.5 hour line and signed up to get the ornament mailed. Total waste of a drive. As a "new member", I didn't expect it to be what it was - that is - not a "member mixer".

Obviously you've never been to the Magic Kingdom on Easter or Christmas week.

There is only so much Disney can do to manage guest expectations when demand is so much greater than anticipated.

This. People are complaining about the lines and waits for this FREE event, but have you ever waited twice the posted time for a ride in WDW? And that's after spending $100's of dollars in admission costs for your family. Have you ever made ADR's at a restaurant, but still had to wait 45 minutes for a table? And that's when you are paying for the food.

It was a FREE event people. The stores are sales centers, they are not designed to handle that much traffic in a single day. The CMs at the stores don't have the same crowd control training as those at WDW. Even so, they managed to throw a wonderful, FREE event. I'd love to see any other store in either mall try to pull something like this off. Most of these cast members are Disney freaks, so I'm sure that some of them are on this board. It must be disheartening to work so hard, only to come on here and read such harsh criticism. So to the CMs at both locations, I want to say a BIG thank you! Job well done!

This. People are complaining about the lines and waits for this FREE event, but have you ever waited twice the posted time for a ride in WDW? And that's after spending $100's of dollars in admission costs for your family. Have you ever made ADR's at a restaurant, but still had to wait 45 minutes for a table? And that's when you are paying for the food.

It was a FREE event people. The stores are sales centers, they are not designed to handle that much traffic in a single day. The CMs at the stores don't have the same crowd control training as those at WDW. Even so, they managed to throw a wonderful, FREE event. I'd love to see any other store in either mall try to pull something like this off. Most of these cast members are Disney freaks, so I'm sure that some of them are on this board. It must be disheartening to work so hard, only to come on here and read such harsh criticism. So to the CMs at both locations, I want to say a BIG thank you! Job well done!

Quoted myself, heh!

Actually, do you remember a few years ago when Justin Bieber came to Roosevelt field? I forget which store hosted that event, but do you remember the mini riot that occurred? The broken glass doors, and how the police were called in? And how he eventually cancelled his appearance because his manager was afraid for his safety? Now THAT was a fiasco.

Ahh. Here's it is:
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/entertainment/celebrity_news/091120-justin-bieber-event-madness-long-island

well said:thumbsup2

Again I am prefacing this with... My kids and I had a great time....

Free or not..... It was billed as a Merry Mixer not a "Stand in a long liner" but we took it upon ourselves to mix with the people in line...

And I was quite amused at how long it took them to tell me the price for a small add on at BCV... you would think after 3 hours they would know the answer without having to pass me off to 3 different people and double check on the computer...

Oh and as we were leaving I was handed a card to call them if I wanted points and my reply was..." Well shouldn't I call my Guide when I want more points?" And her eyes popped out of the sockets... :lmao:

here is our email for the Long Island Event

ours stated

Member Mix-n-Mingle not a merry mixer.

You're invited to join Disney Vacation Club on November 20th at Roosevelt Field® for a
special celebration to kick off the holidays. Drop by with your family and come mingle
with your fellow Members as we celebrate with Disney and
Cameron Macintosh's Broadway musical Mary Poppins.

Create memories that will last a lifetime by performing a show-stopping
number in a high-energy workshop−as a Disney Teaching Artist takes you
through the unique tongue-ticklinglyrics and bodybending choreography of
"Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" from Mary Poppins.

Plus, don't forget to pick up your family's Disney Vacation Club Member
exclusive holiday ornament for 2011.* You can also check in with your
Vacation Club Guide for exciting Member news and promotions.

Let the festivities begin!

Member Mix-n-Mingle

November 20, 2011
11:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m..

Disney Doorway to Dreams
Roosevelt Field
Nordstrom Wing, Upper Level

For more information, please call 516-535-3220

We can't wait to wish you Happy Holidays!

*Ornaments are available only to Members and while supplies last. Limit one ornament per Member household.

Limit 6 Guests per Member ID.

THIS PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL IS BEING USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING SALES OF TIMESHARE INTERESTS.

Not an offer where registration or other legal requirements for timeshare solicitation have not been met.
General Product, State, & Country Disclosures

This is a promotional email. If you do not want to receive future commercial emails at this email address from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. (1390 Celebration Boulevard, Celebration, Florida 34747), or other Disney entities that advertise or promote Disney Vacation Club products or services,click here

I walked into the store today (Tuesday) and asked if I could get my ornament since I wasn't able to make it on Sunday. They checked their computer, saw that I didn't get one, and gave me not only the 2011 but also a 2010 since they knew I missed last year's (that database is SCARY). No sales pitch at all. They took me into a room, we sat down and talked about my upcoming trip in December, and that was it. No sales pressure, just a really great visit that psyched me up for my trip!

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0642.jpg

I walked into the store today (Tuesday) and asked if I could get my ornament since I wasn't able to make it on Sunday. They checked their computer, saw that I didn't get one, and gave me not only the 2011 but also a 2010 since they knew I missed last year's (that database is SCARY). No sales pitch at all. They took me into a room, we sat down and talked about my upcoming trip in December, and that was it. No sales pressure, just a really great visit that psyched me up for my trip!

IMAG0641.jpg

IMAG0642.jpg

If they took you into the "other" room, they gave you a complete body scan, DNA analysis, and a financial analysis. Apparently you didn't score high enough on their people score so the let you leave without buying another contract. :lmao:

:earsboy: Bill

I have always found the DTD office in IL to be extremely nice and giving. Never once in all my attendance at events have I felt pressured to add on. I love my ornament and it was nice to see Minnie. Just wished it could have been spread over 2 days with RSVP time slots to avoid the 2 hour wait. I would not wait 2 hours for an attraction at WDW either. This is the reason I
plan my trips in low season and
use touring techniques to avoid
this. We took my 1 1/2 and 4 year
old grandchildren. Felt this was
little to long for the little ones. Yes
I am grateful and yes I would like
to come back next year. Just
hoping that with planning the wait time will be reduced.

I had a very diff experience than most people bc I stopped by after work just hoping to say hi to my guide and maybe meet some dis members. I didn't get there till after 5:00 so I had no wait at all.
Everyone working there was AMAZING! Even though the lines were crazy all day and they had to keep that Disney smile on their face, the cast members were all very friendly and smiley and accommodating. The snacks were yummy, free crumbs cupcakes are worth a wait in my book lol. The presentation included the incentives there was no super secret sale you had to sit down to discuss... :confused3
I was at the mall the day Bieber was supposed to be there. THAT was insanity.

People showed up for a free ornament, free snacks, and news about special pricing. I give all the cast members a lot of credit for putting up with what sounds like a pretty cranky crowd while working a 12 hour day. So, Long Island DTD staff, if you are reading this, thank you.

(I understand being cranky after a 3 hour wait, I just don't understand a lot of the complaints about a FREE event.)

(I understand being cranky after a 3 hour wait, I just don't understand a lot of the complaints about a FREE event.)

I think the biggest complaints have been about the wait. In the invitation they refer to it as a "mix & mingle." "Stop by" led me to believe I could do just that. Stop by, Say hi to my guide. Meet some other DVCer's, have a snack, pick up the ornament. The whole idea we would have to stand in line for several hours never even occurred to me. So when I saw the long lines, I went home. Fortunately, I live less than 15 minutes from DtD at Woodfield, and I stopped by to see my guide tonight. But I do feel badly for people who drove significant distances to attend and felt compelled to stay as to not disappoint their kids. And I can understand them being disappointed to the point that they might even seem ungrateful.

My guide and I spoke at length about how such an event could be improved next year; it would be great if they could call it something like a "holiday open house" and host it for an entire weekend. And maybe just offer character appearances for a designated time period within that weekend; those who deem that important can time their visit accordingly and anticipate a wait. The CM's are certainly aware of the overwhelming popularity of these events and I'm certain they'll find ways to make it better going forward.

I, for one, am grateful that I live so close and can get a Disney fix just about anytime I want to. And that my guide is such a genuinely nice guy who really appreciates me as a customer, whether I'm planning to add on or not. Those of us in the New York and Chicago regions have an opportunity to get that seemingly coveted ornament that most others don't. Not even the folks who live nearby or are visiting WDW this holiday season - they have to spring for a park admission. We don't.

If they took you into the "other" room, they gave you a complete body scan, DNA analysis, and a financial analysis. Apparently you didn't score high enough on their people score so the let you leave without buying another contract. :lmao:

:earsboy: Bill

He asked about my upcoming trip and I told him that I go once a year for five days, same week. I casually slipped in that I barely use the points that I have and wind up rolling them over every year, so that started off the "I"m not here to buy" tone. I said that I could never use all 205 points in December and he said, "No Mike, you actually have 214 points." So yes, they did check while I they were stalling me in the front room. I guess if I walked in there with only 100 points or so, they would have tried to bump me up. Good ol' 214... haven't let me down yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!