Donut Dangling in the Pirates of the Caribbean Cobwebs? - POPE DONUT! - Little Known Disney Trivia

minnieralyks

Mysteries & Magic, Visions Fantastic
I don't think many people know about this glazed donut that's dangling in the Pirates of the Caribbean cobwebs. It's after the skeleton shipwreck, right across from the skeleton Captain's quarters, at the "bar" with the overturned tables. It's been there and I've noticed it for years now, but I just now got around to taking a picture of it. A Cast Member placed it there, I don't know the real story behind it, just the fake/rumor one that I found while researching, but have been curious since I remembered to take a picture of it on our last trip. It's definitely a donut. Definitely not thrown there by a guest since it's been there for so long.

CONFIRMED: It's the Pope Donut! Thanks for confirming, @V.I.N.C.E.N.T.
pope.jpg

Here is the picture that I took (enhanced because it's hard to see):IMG_0601 (2).JPG

I also found it on a Youtube video that you can see at 4:18.

Last edited:
I'm glad that I could give everyone a good laugh! lol

I just wonder the story behind it and why it's there. Some sort of CM inside joke? A tribute to Walt Disney? It must mean something! ;)

Its the Pope Donut! Walt saved a donut for Owen Pope when he missed opening day. He hung it from a branch on a tree and staff left it there. When the tree had to be chopped down, they moved it. Saved an image someone posted from an article written about it in the 60's.

pope.jpg
D5jlepp.jpg
[/IMG]

Awesome. A piece of Disney trivia i did not know. This made my day! I will have to snap a picture when I visit on November 9th.

Its the Pope Donut! Walt saved a donut for Owen Pope when he missed opening day. He hung it from a branch on a tree and staff left it there. When the tree had to be chopped down, they moved it. Saved an image someone posted from an article written about it in the 60's.

View attachment 203504
D5jlepp.jpg
[/IMG]

I saw that but didn't know if it was legit or not (thought it was part of the rumor story that I read while researching). I thought they changed the words from the Pope House to the Pope Donut. I didn't read through the whole article until now but it looks like it is. Thanks for confirming the story!

I'll add the news article to the OP.

Last edited:
What a strange story! How did a donut hang on a tree for weeks? Wouldn't it have fallen apart or birds have eaten it or something?
I love this kind of stuff but this one seems a little off :magnify: Will keep an eye out for it though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter