Dollar vs. National - your thoughts

zulaya

DIS Veteran
I have a Dec 2002 trip coming up, so no real rush, but am contemplating giving Dollar a try this time around, just because their prices on minivans are SO much lower than Nationals for a week.

I like the convenience of being able to just walk to the National lot and pick out my car and check out. Does Dollar do something similar to this, or do they assign you a vehicle? Also, when returning the vehicle, I really like National in being able to drive up, unload and go. Does Dollar do this or is it more complicated and/or time consuming?

This will be my first time renting a minivan so all comments are appreciated

Thanks

Dollar has been very good for us. They have a program called FastLane that got me my keys in 5 mins. while the regular line had 12+ waiting and didn't move while I scooted out. FastLane was free, check out their site. If looking for prices, put FVG or KISS in the promo code box, they're available to all.

Bill From PA

The only downside I am finding by other car rental companies, other than National, is the drop off locations.
At least with National I can drop off the car at S/D.
We are only wanting a car for a few days. So we don't want to return it at MCO or an off-site hotel that we would have to take a taxi from to get back to the parks or resort.

Someone posted on this board that National has eliminated pickups/dropoffs at the Dolphin. You have to go to the car care center near MK and they will shuttle you back to your resort.

Originally posted by Luv2Roam
The only downside I am finding by other car rental companies, other than National, is the drop off locations.
At least with National I can drop off the car at S/D.
We are only wanting a car for a few days. So we don't want to return it at MCO or an off-site hotel that we would have to take a taxi from to get back to the parks or resort.

As DebbieB said, you are no longer able to pick up or drop off National cars at the Dolphin location. I know this from first hand experience (12/2/2001 & 12/8/2001). Even if you book via the website and indicate you want to drop off at the Dolphin location, you will still be directed to the Car Care Center to drop off the car. The courtesy van will give you a ride back to your hotel. National does have a desk in the Dolphin. You can get your paperwork done there (to pick up a car), but then you wait for the National courtesy van to pick you up and take you over to the Car Care Center (near the MK). That is where you actually get the car.

I found the above arrangement not convenient enough to justify paying the premium National charges for minivans. On our next trip, I'm going to go with L&M instead of National. Keeping the van for the entire 9 day trip (February 2002) will be LESS with L&M than what we paid for the 5 days (December 2001) with National.

Glad you mentioned this, because certainly news to me. (Thanks National :rolleyes: )
Any maybe someone can give me guidance.
I think National rates are high. For ONE day we are paying $48. I thought well maybe for $15-$20 more I can get it for 2 -3 days. NO! Two days would be $84.82. Three days $127.23! (cough, cough) For an intermediate? No thanks!
We are staying a week. But I really just want a car to drive around a day, maybe another evening. I don't want to have to return the car after a few days back at MCO.
What other car rental company can I use that has a drop off convenient to WDW? Anyone know of one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter