Dollar - Economy Cars?

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
Has anyone rented an "Economy Car" at Dollar? It says it would be a Daewoo Lanos or similar. What did you get?

We are now thinking about renting a car for our next trip (something small). We'll be arriving late at night, would we get a lot of pressure to upgrade (we would not want to upgrade unless it was free).

Thanks! ;)

I rented an economy car from Dollar and was given a free upgrade to a PT Cruiser and I only paid 133.00 dollars for 7 days.

I did not see any really small cars on the lot. In fact the lot was absolutely FULL of P.T. Cruisers and that seemed to be what most people recieved. The counter person will try to get you to upgrade for "only 9 dollars a day more." don't do it! You may wind up with a free upgrade anyway when you get to the lot.

There wasn't a daewoo lanos in sight anywhere.

Hope this helps you.

Rooth

P.S. We arrived really late too and I think you are alot more likely to get a free upgrade since most of the economy cars will be gone. Decline the offer at the counter and you will probably get a pleasant surprise when you get to the lot!

Thanks for the reply! We would love a PT Cruiser! ;) (but, not at a "small additional daily charge" LOL)

We were initially assigned a Dodge Neon, but we were also given a free upgrade to a brand new PT Cruiser. We only paid $85 for 7 days, and that was over the July 4th holiday. We were very excited and pleased with Dollar.

Please be sure you can work with the compact if you get it. There is no guarantee of an upgrade and if it is not a busy season you might just get the compact.

Originally posted by CarolA
Please be sure you can work with the compact if you get it. There is no guarantee of an upgrade and if it is not a busy season you might just get the compact.

Yes, all we need is an economy car (3 people, and 3 carryons). And, we would book the economy, 1 class under compact (Daewoo Lanos is economy, Dodge Neon is compact).

If we would happen to get an upgrade, that would just be an extra perk. :)

That will work. I have been at airports several times and seen people who booked a small car thinking it would work. (Once my coworkers and I stopped and watched a family have WW III over this. Mom, Dad, 3 kids and what looked like the contents of their house were trying to fit into a compact. Mom was screaming at Dad "I TOLD YOU WE WOULD NOT GET UPGRADED YOU CHEAP XXXXQ!!!" Dad was screaming back "I AM NOT PAYING MONEY TO UPGRADE! We had to leave to catch our plane so we missed the final outcome, but my bet is on Mom!)

It sounds like you can put some of your luggage in the back seat if you have to. Should work. Be prepared for some "hard sell" for a paid upgrade. I was told (by Alamo) the car I reserved didn't have enough power to accelerate onto the highway LOL. Late at night you might get a compact.
BTW if you want to pay for an upgrade be aggressive. Offer $10/day extra for a convertible. I just tell them (whatever car I reserved) is what I drive at home and I'm happy with it.

Two years ago we got a Neon, last March a Daewoo. Both were fine for us, so I'd resist the upgrade sales pitch. I've had the experience of being offered a great rate to upgrade, refused it, then being told I'd get the upgrade for free because they were out of economy cars. They knew that when they offered to upgrade me for a few bucks more hoping I'd pay them extra for something they were going to have to give me for nothing.

Bill From PA

Had 2 one day rentals from Dollar, one on 8/8, one on 8/15. My ressie also said Daewoo Lanos (I didn't knwo what it was, but figured I'd take whhtever they gave me). Ended up in a Neon both times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter