Doing an Unhappy Dance -- DH Wants to Pospone a Year

Sweet Pea Reed

Mouseketeer
Joined
Aug 13, 2012
Been planning a 9-day trip with DH in February for more than a year, for our 20th anniversary. 3 weeks from FP reservations, everything else planned, including some special events. DH wants to cancel/postpone because he doesn't want to leave the dog behind.

Our dog Ziggy is 14 and healthy, other than that he doesn't do steps. For a 5 day trip a few weeks ago, we dropped the dog off with my FIL, who watches Ziggy when we go away. But he lives in a bi-level and Ziggy refused to go inside because of the steps. Being that we were 12 hours from departure, we opted to keep Ziggy at home those five days, with my FIL and brother visiting and walking him several times a day, and even an overnight stay. He was happy at home!

For our disney trip, the daughter of our friends has offered to stay at our home while we're gone and take care of Ziggy. She is in her early 20s and still lives at home. Her parents have dogs and she has sat for others before. I'm ready to get things set up and have a few trial runs so Ziggy is familiar with her, but Dh wants to postpone.

I dont want to come off as a bad "doggy mom" but we've left him on vacation plenty of times before. He is healthy, doesn't have incontinence, medical conditions or anything like that. And if we postpone for another year and Ziggy is still here, we'll be in the same boat about not going. I say we should go while he is healthy and we have a house sitter. It's not easy to just pospone and pick up and go to Disney on a whim, as DH thinks. Plus, being so "ready to go" at this point, I'd be crushed now to have to wait another year at least, since we can only go in winter.

Looking for perspective here. WWYD?
 

Sargeant Tibbs

DIS Veteran
Joined
Jan 9, 2015
I have one unhealthy dog (not about to die unhealthy, just has multiple health issues), and one healthy dog that are both 13 years old. We depart for our trip 11/30 and they'll stay at my sister's house.

Sure I'm always slightly nervous leaving them, and their age and health weighs on the back of my mind. But I can't postpone my life and my happiness for the what-ifs. Given their age, anything could happen, it's true, but also if I were not to go, who's to say I'll ever have the opportunity to travel with my family again? Life is tenuous.
 

Farro

What the heck am I always smiling about?
Joined
Jun 19, 2016
Speaking as someone who just lost a 4 year old cat to cancer, anything can happen at any age! Tell your husband not to postpone while waiting for the worst to happen. I think your idea of a house-sitter is a great one. And if as the trip gets closer and something happens, then make the decision at that time. Has your dog been in for a check up lately? I would go in for a check up and blood work. Maybe it will help to relax your husband.

Do you have a good relationship with your vet? We board at our vets. Our other 4 year old cat we will be boarding in May for 11 nights. I'm nervous, but time keeps going and I don't want to miss out on life. :)
 
  • Jimmy Mouse

    My other car is the Monorail
    Joined
    Sep 3, 2017
    We have a 12 year old Dachshund (Dixie Belle) and a 4 year old cat (Goofy) we are boarding them this December, Christmas week. We have boarded them every trip at our vet. Do I worry since Dixie is getting older? yes I do! I love my little girl but we cannot live life with the "what if" mentality. She is healthy and active and we trust our vet. We always joke with our girls that we need to go break Dixie and Goofy out of jail on our way home :)
     

    Sweet Pea Reed

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Aug 13, 2012
    Yes, exactly on the "what-ifs." If I lived like that, I'd never do anything! Ziggy is a rescue, he was rescued 10 years ago and still has some issues going to strange places so I'd definitely want to have him stay home where he is comfortable. Close family members are able to help out and stay, and he loves them. To me, it makes sense.
     

    Buttcracker

    Using the rules to my advantage!
    Joined
    May 16, 2019
    Been planning a 9-day trip with DH in February for more than a year, for our 20th anniversary. 3 weeks from FP reservations, everything else planned, including some special events. DH wants to cancel/postpone because he doesn't want to leave the dog behind.

    Our dog Ziggy is 14 and healthy, other than that he doesn't do steps. For a 5 day trip a few weeks ago, we dropped the dog off with my FIL, who watches Ziggy when we go away. But he lives in a bi-level and Ziggy refused to go inside because of the steps. Being that we were 12 hours from departure, we opted to keep Ziggy at home those five days, with my FIL and brother visiting and walking him several times a day, and even an overnight stay. He was happy at home!

    For our disney trip, the daughter of our friends has offered to stay at our home while we're gone and take care of Ziggy. She is in her early 20s and still lives at home. Her parents have dogs and she has sat for others before. I'm ready to get things set up and have a few trial runs so Ziggy is familiar with her, but Dh wants to postpone.

    I dont want to come off as a bad "doggy mom" but we've left him on vacation plenty of times before. He is healthy, doesn't have incontinence, medical conditions or anything like that. And if we postpone for another year and Ziggy is still here, we'll be in the same boat about not going. I say we should go while he is healthy and we have a house sitter. It's not easy to just pospone and pick up and go to Disney on a whim, as DH thinks. Plus, being so "ready to go" at this point, I'd be crushed now to have to wait another year at least, since we can only go in winter.

    Looking for perspective here. WWYD?
    It's a dog. Leave it at home. Have people come visit it or leave the t.v. on so it doesn't get lonely, get those automatic feeder bowls, and put some newspapers on the floor.

    I'm unclear what a year difference is going to make in the trip. Would waiting a year to go WDW be in hopes that in the next 365 the dog dies so you don't have to deal with it or just learns to climb stairs? Seems to me you have the same problem a year from now....
     
  • Sweet Pea Reed

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Aug 13, 2012
    Well it's all water under the bridge now anyway. DH will not budge. He absolutely refuses to go on vacation and leave the dog behind. And yes, if the dog is alive next year at this time (I hope he is!!!!) I'll be stuck in the same boat, and DH will just tell me to delay it again. He just doesn't understand the time/effort that it takes to plan. And since he's not into Disney very much, it doesn't matter to him when we go or how long we postpone.
     

    georgina

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Apr 21, 2003
    If the same situation comes up in a year, leave him home with the dog and go without him :) . Go with a friend, or go solo.

    DH and I are older, have been married 32 years. He is into scuba and I am not, so we sometimes take separate trips.
     

    Jack_Sparrow_NJ

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Nov 10, 2018
    Speaking as someone who just lost a 4 year old cat to cancer, anything can happen at any age! Tell your husband not to postpone while waiting for the worst to happen. I think your idea of a house-sitter is a great one. And if as the trip gets closer and something happens, then make the decision at that time. Has your dog been in for a check up lately? I would go in for a check up and blood work. Maybe it will help to relax your husband.

    Do you have a good relationship with your vet? We board at our vets. Our other 4 year old cat we will be boarding in May for 11 nights. I'm nervous, but time keeps going and I don't want to miss out on life. :)
    We board our dog and cat with our Vet. It's not cheap but they couldn't be at a better place if something were to happen. It is staffed 24/7 so they are never alone
     
  • Helvetica

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Apr 24, 2018
    Could you possibly take the dog? There are some dog friendly resorts at Disney World now.

     

    Sweet Pea Reed

    Mouseketeer
    Joined
    Aug 13, 2012
    No, there's no way I'd take Ziggy out of his home. I'm sure the hotels are great for that, but Ziggy was a two-time rescue in his early life and has only felt comfortable in our home and at my FILs. Plus, we'd be driving 14 hours, and all of it would be too much for him. I'm so grateful for everyone's sympathy and suggestions. I know I'll get over the disappointment of the postponement, just having the trip called off 8 weeks before departure has thrown me for a loop.
     

    Buttcracker

    Using the rules to my advantage!
    Joined
    May 16, 2019
    Well it's all water under the bridge now anyway. DH will not budge. He absolutely refuses to go on vacation and leave the dog behind. And yes, if the dog is alive next year at this time (I hope he is!!!!) I'll be stuck in the same boat, and DH will just tell me to delay it again. He just doesn't understand the time/effort that it takes to plan. And since he's not into Disney very much, it doesn't matter to him when we go or how long we postpone.
    I'd leave his butt at home with the dog and go. It's 50/50 thing -he got it his way this time-next time you should go solo and send him some Disney Porn....pictures of you from Main Street eating a Dole Whip while wearing some glittery mouse ears.
     

    SaintsManiac

    Adventure is out there.
    Joined
    Dec 9, 2014
    Sorry this happened! I worry every time we leave our cats, so I get both sides. I hate playing the what if game, so we live our lives. You only get one!
     



    Connect

    Disney News and Updates

    Get Daily Email Updates

    THEME PARK MAPS




    DISNEY WORLD TICKETS


    THEME PARK HOURS
    Disney World Rehabs and Closings Disney World Restaurant Menus

    DISNEY WORLD VIDEOS




    Top