Dog training

On training: Check around locally for a good local dog training classes. We took our Pup in but there were dogs of all ages. They also do Dog Day Care and if you are in classes and day care they work on things they are learning in class. Some of the most challenged dogs turned around fast. I'm not talking about the PetSmart or Petco type of classes. Our training didn't ban harnesses but by week 3 they dogs needed to be coming to class without them.

If the dog really doesn't fit in talk with a rescue group, many will work to find a good home. But that is up to you.

Our son was talking about getting a dog, but I know far to well how many left at home with parents. We told him that happened he would be resposible for all food, vet care and any boarding fees. While I probably would have loved the dog, I wanted him to understand the responsibility that comes with them.

If the dog really doesn't fit in talk with a rescue group, many will work to find a good home. But that is up to you.

Our son was talking about getting a dog, but I know far to well how many left at home with parents. We told him that happened he would be resposible for all food, vet care and any boarding fees. While I probably would have loved the dog, I wanted him to understand the responsibility that comes with them.
He's only ever known our home. He's been there since he was 9 weeks old. I adore him and even though he's not the dog we wanted, he is ours. But I agree a rescue group is the way to go for others that absolutely cannot keep their animals. I only wish my stepdaughter understood the responsibility when she ignored us and got him anyway. But there's nothing I can do about that now except to take on the responsibility myself and give him the life he (and all animals) deserves.

please just NO. Head halters of any kind are not good. I know people like them because they get results but they can also really damage a dogs neck especially if they pull hard.
I disagree we have had great success with them and my trainer uses them.

I disagree we have had great success with them and my trainer uses them.
They are quite popular and many trainers use them-and later in life some dogs develop Wobblers syndrome as a result. we all have to do what we feel is best and that is a risk I am unwilling to take.

One thing I have started doing is making sure I am the first one in or out of a door/room. He was always pushing past me to get through the door first which I read is a sign of him thinking he's the pack leader. So I'm trying to establish myself as alpha right now. I tell him to stay and then walk to the door first. So far he's doing great with that!
This is good. I teach the "Wait" command. Dog sits and waits until you say it's ok to go out the door. I like to differentiate between that and Stay, because I might have a dog Stay in a spot for a long time, but with going out the door, the dog knows it's coming and may be more inclined to break the stay in order to dash out the door if something good is out there, lol. You have to remember never to give a command to the dog that you can't or won't follow through on. So if you put a dog in a "Stay", you have to be the one to tell him it's ok to get up, too. Don't let him break the stay or he learns he doesn't have to listen to what you say. Teach these while on a leash so you have control and can bring the dog back right away to re-do it if he doesn't get it right. When he does get it right, praise him. And be consistent with it, including everyone in the family.

The only thing I honestly feel comfortable with right now is a harness. He's very strong and I don't want to do any physical harm because of that. So until we get the training he needs, a harness it is. I'm in no way, shape or form close to being a dog trainer. Some of the other kinds of collars and things look to damaging for someone as inexperienced as me to try and use.
I agree some of them are nasty, and I personally despise Sprenger collars, but a martingale is a very mild correction if used properly. They are just tools to help you gain control of a dog that is stronger than you, but they aren't meant to be substitutes for proper training. An out of control dog is dangerous to everyone, including him or herself. Unfortunately, you may never fully curb your pit bull's urge to pull, but a good trainer will show you how to use the collar so that you and your good boy are both safe and comfortable.

We have a golden retriever and foster dogs for a local rescue. We always use a harness with all the dogs that does up in front, they don't pull with that one like the others. Easy Walk is the brand, they have a martingale type mechanism in the front that helps.

OP he is a cutie!

I suggest day care to first tire him out before you take him obedience class (PetSmart doesn't apply).

Find a local dog trainer. I know some people don't like PetSmart, but I liked their dog training
I think it depends upon the individual trainer you happen to encounter. Ours at PetSmart was great -- really helped us with our "special needs dog" and his unique challenges. One thing she did well: She stopped me from making excuses for him /his disability.

The only thing I honestly feel comfortable with right now is a harness. He's very strong and I don't want to do any physical harm because of that. So until we get the training he needs, a harness it is. I'm in no way, shape or form close to being a dog trainer. Some of the other kinds of collars and things look to damaging for someone as inexperienced as me to try and use.
I'll emphasize again -- look for a no-pull harness, which has the hook in the front /on the dog's chest instead of on his back /between his shoulder blades. The front hook means that when he pulls, he can't help but turn himself back towards you ... and that's not his goal, so he'll stop doing it. His strength won't matter. It's a brilliant design, but it's not what most people use.

We live in a large neighborhood full of dogs, and I see examples every day of dogs that've been trained well ... and dogs that aren't trained at all. Little-dog people can strongarm their dogs into doing what they want, but it shows up most with the big dogs. I see two women walking together almost every morning while I'm leaving for work ... one walks a big white Pitt, and the other walks a Rottie and a Pitt; those three dogs are TRAINED. They obey their women. On the other hand, there's a young couple who own three German Shephards ... the woman walks one, and the man walks two. They have no control over those dogs, who pull the humans down the road /all over the place. Those three Shephards hate my little dog (probably they hate all little dogs), and I won't walk down their street any more out of fear that they'll decide to eat him, and their people will have no way to stop them.

This is good. I teach the "Wait" command. Dog sits and waits until you say it's ok to go out the door.
This "waiting by the door" is huge. You don't want him crowding the door, pushing to go out ... while you're still gathering your things. Dogs get SO EXCITED about going out; this one's hard for them.

I put down a small rug (bought a bath mat at Goodwill and cut it down to about 12x12) by the door where I wanted him to learn to wait. If he sat nicely on the mat, waiting for me to get myself ready, he got a treat ... if he rushed to the door, he was sent back to his mat. We no longer have the mat, but he sits in that spot and waits. This was NOT an easy train item for us, but it was absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
I think it depends upon the individual trainer you happen to encounter. Ours at PetSmart was great -- really helped us with our "special needs dog" and his unique challenges. One thing she did well: She stopped me from making excuses for him /his disability.

Ours was the manager for all the trainers in the district. She really knew her stuff.

I'll emphasize again -- look for a no-pull harness, which has the hook in the front /on the dog's chest instead of on his back /between his shoulder blades. The front hook means that when he pulls, he can't help but turn himself back towards you ... and that's not his goal, so he'll stop doing it. His strength won't matter. It's a brilliant design, but it's not what most people use.
I didn't know they made this kind of harness. It sounds PERFECT! I'll order it asap, thank you!

I didn't know they made this kind of harness. It sounds PERFECT! I'll order it asap, thank you!

Yes, if you decide to go with a harness instead of a collar, use one where the leash clips in the front of their chest. It makes it very awkward for the dog to pull so it helps them figure out that they shouldn't be doing that.

A normal harness that clips on the back encourages the dog to pull and it allows him to use his entire chest and body weight to drag you around. That makes it even more challenging to walk, especially since you're not used to a larger dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter