Does WestJet Always Tease with Dates

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Waiting to book flights end is summer. Expedia show available up to Aug 8 (we need return on 7th) and even shows WestJet flights but they are not actually available for booking. On WestJet site, it shows up to Sept 1 ...then sold out for next days and then available again on Sept 8.

How often does WestJet release next chunk of dates? Anyone know if Expedia's prediction of times and price is accurate? There is a specific flight I'd love to jump on when available for both time and price.

Last edited:
3 years ago we booked a Westjet flight out of a small local airport on Expedia. Flight was also available to book direct with WestJet so i figured it wouldn't be a problem and heck it was cheaper PLUS we earned Airmiles for booking thru the portal. Fast Forward several months to me finding out - via an email from my radio station! - that the flight was no longer even an option. I wouldn't hesitate again to book flights thru Expedia but I will wait until WestJet has completely released their entire schedule!

3 years ago we booked a Westjet flight out of a small local airport on Expedia. Flight was also available to book direct with WestJet so i figured it wouldn't be a problem and heck it was cheaper PLUS we earned Airmiles for booking thru the portal. Fast Forward several months to me finding out - via an email from my radio station! - that the flight was no longer even an option. I wouldn't hesitate again to book flights thru Expedia but I will wait until WestJet has completely released their entire schedule!
Ugh...that's not good to hear. We fly out of Pearson (Toronto).
WestJet seems to release a few dates at once. How far ahead of your date is considered by "released their entire schedule"?

When I book for March break, Westjet always releases their flights for booking around April/May on a rolling basis.

But it’s completely pointless because their flight schedules all change completely when they release their Winter schedule in August. THey are really notorious for this. So I don’t bother booking with them if I need to book in advance anymore.

That's really frustrating. I've been monitoring flight costs from Toronto to Orlando end of summer, and the WestJet pricing showing on Expedia seems pretty decent. If they change it by an hour or so, ok, but if they straight out cancel, that's an issue. And if we wait too long, then prices will/could go up for other airlines too.

When I book for March break, Westjet always releases their flights for booking around April/May on a rolling basis.

But it’s completely pointless because their flight schedules all change completely when they release their Winter schedule in August. THey are really notorious for this. So I don’t bother booking with them if I need to book in advance anymore.
YUP! We tend to go in January and i believe it was mid-summer when they just announced that the once a week flight would be on Wednesday NOT the Tuesday we had paid for AND they weren't starting service until 2 weeks after we wanted to leave!
That's really frustrating. I've been monitoring flight costs from Toronto to Orlando end of summer, and the WestJet pricing showing on Expedia seems pretty decent. If they change it by an hour or so, ok, but if they straight out cancel, that's an issue. And if we wait too long, then prices will/could go up for other airlines too.
We were flying out of K/W orginally because Pearson is a PIA and if we can avoid it, why not?! Their flights out of Pearson do tend to be the same time for the majority of the year -- we like the 7:30 flight out and the 9:30 home and I would imagine you'd be ok but just be aware that they can (and do) change things even after you'd paid for your flights. Side note, Air Canada does the same thing, this isn't WestJet specific

Air Canada has changed their schedules on me but only by an hour or so. I find that their long range schedules are more reliable, at least in terms of their routes. WJ changes their direct flight schedules completely, canceling some routes altogether leaving you with connections that may or may not suit your needs. They did offer to refund it $$ when it happened to us , but by that point the direct prices on the other airlines had risen in price considerably. We sucked it up but now I just stick with Air Canada or Air Transat when booking a year in advance.

Pop and AoA aren't really Value resorts any more. They're Moderates. The only Value resorts now are the All Star resorts.
YUP! We tend to go in January and i believe it was mid-summer when they just announced that the once a week flight would be on Wednesday NOT the Tuesday we had paid for AND they weren't starting service until 2 weeks after we wanted to leave!

We were flying out of K/W orginally because Pearson is a PIA and if we can avoid it, why not?! Their flights out of Pearson do tend to be the same time for the majority of the year -- we like the 7:30 flight out and the 9:30 home and I would imagine you'd be ok but just be aware that they can (and do) change things even after you'd paid for your flights. Side note, Air Canada does the same thing, this isn't WestJet specific
That's horrible..especially when you are talking about cancelling or day change. We are starting with a cruise (and ending with Disney World) so we go day before but would flip if they cancelled.

Air Canada has changed their schedules on me but only by an hour or so. I find that their long range schedules are more reliable, at least in terms of their routes. WJ changes their direct flight schedules completely, canceling some routes altogether leaving you with connections that may or may not suit your needs. They did offer to refund it $$ when it happened to us , but by that point the direct prices on the other airlines had risen in price considerably. We sucked it up but now I just stick with Air Canada or Air Transat when booking a year in advance.
Yeah .. refund doesn't always help if prices overall have risen. Good to know that Air Canada is more reliable. It's quite pricey I think ($2600 for 4 from Toronto to MCO for end of summer).

We're a bit uncomfortable with air transit since they have 1 flight a day (esp when need to catch a cruise(. Did fly them once though and had no issues.

Yeah .. refund doesn't always help if prices overall have risen. Good to know that Air Canada is more reliable. It's quite pricey I think ($2600 for 4 from Toronto to MCO for end of summer).

We're a bit uncomfortable with air transit since they have 1 flight a day (esp when need to catch a cruise(. Did fly them once though and had no issues.
We always fly Air Canada on the way down and AT on the way back - just the way the schedules work out. AT makes me a bit leery too, but we have done it for years and no issues. And I figure if we get stuck in Orlando, oh well!! :laughing:

We always fly Air Canada on the way down and AT on the way back - just the way the schedules work out. AT makes me a bit leery too, but we have done it for years and no issues. And I figure if we get stuck in Orlando, oh well!! :laughing:
Ha ha. That makes sense.
Our trip stretches right before school so our kids wouldn't want to miss first day, but otherwise extra days would be a bonus.

Still waiting for WestJet to release....but....the prices have shot up anyways (or from Expedia's prediction).

Are flight to MCO (from Toronto) always so expensive? We're looking at $2500+ for four of us from Toronto to MCO....and that's the "cheap" price Similar pricing to a close airport such as Tampa .

LOL try working there. I'm there everyday and I think I'm starting to get used to it :P:P

LOL try working there. I'm there everyday and I think I'm starting to get used to it :P:P
hubby used to work in the area and towards the end he hated the commute as much as the job! That was close to 20 years ago and the drive has just getting worse, I don't know how you do it! Just once a week on the greyhound is enough for me!

regarding WestJet pricing, we booked our flights for this coming January in early June (I think) and it was over 1100 for both of us - had no choice, travel agent booked it :mad: ) but right now the same flights come in just over 700. I also have a code that takes 15% off any fare from Perkopolis. Flights are always cheaper Tuesday and Wednesday btw so if you're flexible you can save a hunk of money

hubby used to work in the area and towards the end he hated the commute as much as the job! That was close to 20 years ago and the drive has just getting worse, I don't know how you do it! Just once a week on the greyhound is enough for me!

regarding WestJet pricing, we booked our flights for this coming January in early June (I think) and it was over 1100 for both of us - had no choice, travel agent booked it :mad: ) but right now the same flights come in just over 700. I also have a code that takes 15% off any fare from Perkopolis. Flights are always cheaper Tuesday and Wednesday btw so if you're flexible you can save a hunk of money
Oh come on it's easy. For a 6 am start I wake up at 3 am and desperately try to be out of the house by 4am. I use Ontario 511 to see if the 401 is closed or has accidents then in the car I tune into am570 and am680, got to the drive thru and hope I make it on time. I do the opposite to come back after 12 hours. I walk in the house an hour and a half before I have to hit the sheets. I can have a regular meal or sleep when I retire.
Just kidding it's not that bad. The upside is living in a town of 4000 people, no traffic lights, no noise and a big yard :)

Still waiting for WestJet to release....but....the prices have shot up anyways (or from Expedia's prediction).

Are flight to MCO (from Toronto) always so expensive? We're looking at $2500+ for four of us from Toronto to MCO....and that's the "cheap" price Similar pricing to a close airport such as Tampa .
Wow, that seems high. What dates are you looking at?

We are going to Orlando Aug 22-29th and right now for the four of us it's $2887 round trip non stop from Vancouver and I'm like 'yuck, hope this price comes down'.

Just booked 2 round trip tickets from Pearson, mid January $711 - that includes taxes & fees. First flight out of Pearson on the way down and last flight out on the way home, our preferred flights to give us almost full days on either end of the trip.

Wow, that seems high. What dates are you looking at?

We are going to Orlando Aug 22-29th and right now for the four of us it's $2887 round trip non stop from Vancouver and I'm like 'yuck, hope this price comes down'.
Flying to/from Orlando right after you....leaving Sun Aug 30 and returning Mon Sept 7. That is labor day weekend but still, seems really high. Hoping it's just early and prices will come down....and same for you.
P.S. - Everytime I look, it creeps up. Now it is at $692 each for the 'cheaper' tickets for $2765. Ugh.

Just booked 2 round trip tickets from Pearson, mid January $711 - that includes taxes & fees. First flight out of Pearson on the way down and last flight out on the way home, our preferred flights to give us almost full days on either end of the trip.
Total of $711 or each ticket is $711? That would be non-prime time to go so prices should be better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!