Does Universal have something similar to DAS?

Sora321

Earning My Ears
Hello Everyone!

On my last trip to Disney, I finally decided to sign up for a DAS pass. For many years, I thought I didn't need it, but, as it turns out, it was a huge help. I don't mind sharing the details of why I needed it; maybe hearing why I needed it may help someone else.

Having the DAS to make return times really helped me manage my stress knowing and knowing I could take my time as well. We used it in tandem with Genie+ and it was great.

So, my question is: Does Universal have something similar? My friend and I are planning a Universal day for our trip next year, and I couldn't really find a lot of info on their website. Also, sorry if this isn't the right place to ask; I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the Universal thread.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes they do I think it is call AAP so something like that. I have heard they are harder to get there pass

Universal’s information is a little harder to find.

It’s in this Rider’s Guide on the Universal Orlando website under Attraction Assistance Pass. Applying for it pretty similar to the in person process at Disney - explain briefly what prevents you from waiting in the regular lines. It works fairly similar to how DAS worked at WDW before Genie+. As far as I know, it is still a paper process.
Universal does have a different level of pass with greater access; that one is very difficult to get approved for from everything I’ve seen.

Universal’s information is a little harder to find.

It’s in this Rider’s Guide on the Universal Orlando website under Attraction Assistance Pass. Applying for it pretty similar to the in person process at Disney - explain briefly what prevents you from waiting in the regular lines. It works fairly similar to how DAS worked at WDW before Genie+. As far as I know, it is still a paper process.
Universal does have a different level of pass with greater access; that one is very difficult to get approved for from everything I’ve seen.
DS had the AAP as late as last July and November (and heading there tomorrow so I'll have update). It is more difficult to get than a Disney DAS, they have always had more questions as to why. They have always been more strict with the numbers, not once did they allow an extra person (we used to go annually with an extra person). It is still a paper system SO you have to go to the attraction to get them to write down a time, then return. That can be discouraging if you don't have a runner.

There is the more difficult one to get (GAP) and I think only supervisors or above can approve. DS used to have that years ago when he had an AP and they printed it right on his AP. For the year we didn't have to return to guest relations. But his AP now we have to go each time, but only once. For awhile there they made us do it daily.

I would look into the Express Pass costs for your trip (varies). While you have to pay you avoid the going back and forth to attractions which in itself can be time consuming and stressful. With a smaller group or folks each paying their own way it could be worth it. (Or stay at a Loews resort where it's included).

I keep hearing how hard it is to get this at Universal. My disability is somewhat hidden, but I desperately need it if I am going to do a full day at the park, especially if I will be doing multiple park days around Orlando which I will be this trip. I am really trying to not spend the extra money for staying at Lowes Royal Pacific because I have to pay for my son's college starting in August. But maybe I should just bite the bullet and do it.

We've traveled with a friend that had the paper return card and it worked similar to a DAS.

We stayed once at the HRH and had the express included with our stay (many years ago). I think...if you stay one night you still get two days of Express (check in day and check out) but definitely confirm that. This becomes more worth it if you have several people in the room (we had 4)....and of course if it is a busy time of year. In the future I'd probably do this if I go back to US/IOA if I can afford it.

Thanks, everyone!
These are all helpful responses.

Since we're only planning on one day, we can get the express pass if needed. I'll ask and see what the options are when we get there.

I keep worrying about this. Right now we are booked at Cabana Bay for 2 nights. We are doing a 1 day park hopper and 1 day at Volcano Bay, then heading to Disney World. We have 5 adults (3 between 18 and 21, and then us older parents). Cabana Bay works really well for sleeping for 5.
I was planning of doing the DAS equivalent there, because I cannot stand or sit in a wheelchair for really long periods due to a back condition. I am ambulatory and just looking at me you don't see a disability. However, my pain levels increase throughout the day at theme parks and if I do have to do a lot of standing and such, it is much worse pain and comes on earlier in the day. When I am going multiple days in row, it comes on earlier and earlier and worse with each day.
But looking at me, you would never know. So I am worried they will deny me the disability pass.
We are considering upgrading to the more expensive hotel to get the express passes, but now we are crammed into a smaller space and have to rent a rolling bed for my daughter's friend.
I'm just not sure what to do. I'm really worried, because one day of standing in lines all day could really cause medical conditions that will cascade through my entire trip, making it not much fun.

I keep worrying about this. Right now we are booked at Cabana Bay for 2 nights. We are doing a 1 day park hopper and 1 day at Volcano Bay, then heading to Disney World. We have 5 adults (3 between 18 and 21, and then us older parents). Cabana Bay works really well for sleeping for 5.
I was planning of doing the DAS equivalent there, because I cannot stand or sit in a wheelchair for really long periods due to a back condition. I am ambulatory and just looking at me you don't see a disability. However, my pain levels increase throughout the day at theme parks and if I do have to do a lot of standing and such, it is much worse pain and comes on earlier in the day. When I am going multiple days in row, it comes on earlier and earlier and worse with each day.
But looking at me, you would never know. So I am worried they will deny me the disability pass.
We are considering upgrading to the more expensive hotel to get the express passes, but now we are crammed into a smaller space and have to rent a rolling bed for my daughter's friend.
I'm just not sure what to do. I'm really worried, because one day of standing in lines all day could really cause medical conditions that will cascade through my entire trip, making it not much fun.
In my humble opinion, I think the express pass is better and worth staying in a hotel that has it for one night, even if cramped. We had a disability pass last week at both WDW and Universal. While I was thankful for it at both, it was more difficult to use at Universal-not as convenient. You had to go to the ride to get the pass, which for someone with trouble getting around gets difficult. Sometimes at the ride we would have to wait behind a number of groups also waiting for the staff member to write their pass. You can only hold one at a time, and then if the express line is less than 30 minutes they let you go one through to the Express line. This sounds very nice, but often the majority of the rides were at or more than 30 minutes, or on the app it would say 30 minutes, we would walk there, and it would be 50 minutes. So then you can't do it bc you are holding a pass for another ride that had a 60 minute wait, yet you just walked across the park.

Anyway, I again am grateful that we were able to use it. But express pass is far, far more user friendly and enjoyable, if it is possible to get it.

I agree with the PPer. If being denied the the disability pass would make the parks impossible, book the room with the express passes included. They work better than the disability pass anyway, b/c you never have to leave and come back to a line.

Universal is even more strict than Disney for disability pass approval, and mobility related disorders, even ones not solved by a chair, are not a certain approval.

Used the AAP today. Same paper pass. Present at the ride entrance and they give you a return time. E.T. they let us go right in.

Note that you go through the Express Lane and depending on how crowded it is, you could still have a substantial wait. Despicable Me was 40 minute standby wait. We got our time, left and came back 30 minutes later, enter the line. It was still 33 minutes in that line before we got on the attraction. We actually lost 30 minutes waiting where with Express Pass we would have joined right away and avoided the extra walking to go do something else while we waited.

I don't see how either the DAS or the Universal equivalent is going to help for your condition, as it doesn't shorten the amount of time you are in the parks? You'd still need to walk through the attraction queues, and you'd just have to find some place else to wait, KWIM? You can pace in the queue, or use a rollator so you have a place to sit in the queue, etc. But DAS isn't going to do anything but have you wait outside of the queue (sometimes for a few hours for the big attractions) until it is your turn to go in. If you went into another queue while you were waiting, you'd face the same issues?

I don't see how either the DAS or the Universal equivalent is going to help for your condition, as it doesn't shorten the amount of time you are in the parks? You'd still need to walk through the attraction queues, and you'd just have to find some place else to wait, KWIM? You can pace in the queue, or use a rollator so you have a place to sit in the queue, etc. But DAS isn't going to do anything but have you wait outside of the queue (sometimes for a few hours for the big attractions) until it is your turn to go in. If you went into another queue while you were waiting, you'd face the same issues?
That's how I saw it for the PP. The pass will do nothing, and will actually make it worse, b/c you have to walk to the ride, get your return time, depart, and then come back and still have 1/2 the wait.

It sounds like the PP needs to limit total time in park and hit as many attractions as possible before the health deteriorates. In that case, it's Express Pass or bust, whether it's through the hotels or bought individually, b/c that will give instant entrance to the 1/2 as long waits, thus allowing more rides in a shorter period of time.

Since arriving at a 45 minute wait time, getting a pass to come back 35-45 minutes later and then still having to wait 20-25 minutes once in line (for a technical 1 hour to 1 hour 10 min wait for one ride) is the opposite of what they want to achieve. Few rides will give instant access to express for the Universal disability pass b/c few rides will have posted waits under 30 minutes.

Yeah, this is usually the response I get for people who don't understand my diability.
The way my back condition works is that I have one vertebrae sliding forward over another. This constricts the opening where my nerves exit my spine on that location. One of the things that makes this condition much much worse is if I have lower back tension and muscle spasming in my back. As my muscles spasm, then there is swelling and tightening around the already constricted opening.
Unfortunately, this irritates the nerve which can then cause more tightening and swelling. The more tightening the more I get symptoms of neuropathy in my legs and back which can = increasing pain.
Standing in one position causes muscle spasms. Sitting at a 90 degree angle in a chair does two things, one it also causes muscle spasms and it forces more forward pressure where the vertebrae are moving. Sitting in a wheel chair is worse than standing.
For me, I need to change positions a lot. Standing, sitting, walking to keep the muscles looser. I find walking is the best to keep my lower back loose. I find muscle spasms tend to start around 30 minutes of prolonged standing.
So there is the explanation of my disability.
I live an hour from disneyland and have been managing how to make a day of the parks with this condition for years. DAS is a life saver for me, allowing me to comfortably enjoy the park for longer during the day and needing less recovering the following days.

Used the AAP today. Same paper pass. Present at the ride entrance and they give you a return time. E.T. they let us go right in.

Note that you go through the Express Lane and depending on how crowded it is, you could still have a substantial wait. Despicable Me was 40 minute standby wait. We got our time, left and came back 30 minutes later, enter the line. It was still 33 minutes in that line before we got on the attraction. We actually lost 30 minutes waiting where with Express Pass we would have joined right away and avoided the extra walking to go do something else while we waited.

Thanks for the update!

Looks like express is the way to go; I'll do some research before we go and see what we can get.

Our room at the HRH seemed fairly good size. Is the square footage of the room similar? Perhaps the rollaway won't seem too bad at the deluxe if so.

I use an ECV at Disney but at US/IOA I cannot take it through the lines. Last time I was there I had trouble finding a WC at the attraction entrance to transfer to (and the park employees were clueless). I'd prefer not t go back unless I can find some way to manage the lines without it being a big hassle.... at least having the express pass would offer me the best option they have.

Yeah, this is usually the response I get for people who don't understand my diability.
The way my back condition works is that I have one vertebrae sliding forward over another. This constricts the opening where my nerves exit my spine on that location. One of the things that makes this condition much much worse is if I have lower back tension and muscle spasming in my back. As my muscles spasm, then there is swelling and tightening around the already constricted opening.
Unfortunately, this irritates the nerve which can then cause more tightening and swelling. The more tightening the more I get symptoms of neuropathy in my legs and back which can = increasing pain.
Standing in one position causes muscle spasms. Sitting at a 90 degree angle in a chair does two things, one it also causes muscle spasms and it forces more forward pressure where the vertebrae are moving. Sitting in a wheel chair is worse than standing.
For me, I need to change positions a lot. Standing, sitting, walking to keep the muscles looser. I find walking is the best to keep my lower back loose. I find muscle spasms tend to start around 30 minutes of prolonged standing.
So there is the explanation of my disability.
I live an hour from disneyland and have been managing how to make a day of the parks with this condition for years. DAS is a life saver for me, allowing me to comfortably enjoy the park for longer during the day and needing less recovering the following days.
Where do you sit/stand/walk while you are waiting for your DAS return time?

Often my family may go get in line for something I can't ride and I will wander through the park, the shops, or maybe grab a snack and sit for 15 minutes to eat. All kinds of things. Honestly, Disney should love it, because I do spend a lot of time walking through shops, which makes me spend more.
It also varies on how I'm doing. If I'm having a bad day, I will sometimes go to the health station/nurses station and do 30 min of stretching to try to loosen the back.
Mainly, I need to change things up. Regardless, as the day progresses, my back tightens and by the end of the day there is some pain. The question becomes how much pain. Additionally, more days in a row begins to have a more cumulative effect. On a multi-day trip, I can be struggling by day 4 right off the bat and will definitely be in the nurses station a few times as the day goes on.

Often my family may go get in line for something I can't ride and I will wander through the park, the shops, or maybe grab a snack and sit for 15 minutes to eat. All kinds of things. Honestly, Disney should love it, because I do spend a lot of time walking through shops, which makes me spend more.
It also varies on how I'm doing. If I'm having a bad day, I will sometimes go to the health station/nurses station and do 30 min of stretching to try to loosen the back.
Mainly, I need to change things up. Regardless, as the day progresses, my back tightens and by the end of the day there is some pain. The question becomes how much pain. Additionally, more days in a row begins to have a more cumulative effect. On a multi-day trip, I can be struggling by day 4 right off the bat and will definitely be in the nurses station a few times as the day goes on.
I was just going to edit my response and mention first aid - they are a wonderful resource.

I get it. My daughter has a disability with similar limitations. Everyone usually says, oh it's mobility related, get a wheelchair, which is not helpful at all. Or they assume she can only do a short period of time in the parks and then has to leave, which is just not accurate. In reality, under the right circumstances, she can do a full-ish day without *too* much pain. The DAS is a lifesaver for her condition because she can keep moving around as much as she needs throughout the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter