Does this qualify for a das?

marsha123

Mouseketeer
my daughter has asthma and it's been under control for years but now she is having bad flares with it. Also she has heat intolerance. She is undergoing a lot of testing on June 16th and we would like to go to Disney world next week before her appointment. Do you think we could get a guest assistance card?or should we just plan on another time?

Hi.
I'll try to answer your question the best I can. Truly, there is no way to know until you get to Guest Relations at the park, whether or not your daughter will be given a DAS. It's not out of the question, but all cast members are individuals and it's between you and them to work out. The best you can do, is be prepared to explain why your daughter cannot wait in the regular queue with the other patrons and must wait outside of the line. Now days, that's all the disability pass offers -- a chance to wait, essentially the same amount of time, outside the line instead of in. If you're going to Disney World Florida, it is also my understanding that all or almost all of the queues are shaded and have fans blowing. Unlike Disneyland, where many lines are in direct sun. So hopefully that will be of help to you, even if you don't get the DAS. But certainly try. You don't need to tell them her diagnoses, just the reasons she needs the accommodation. Good luck and have a great time. Best wishes to your daughter during this difficult time. <3

my daughter has asthma and it's been under control for years but now she is having bad flares with it. Also she has heat intolerance. She is undergoing a lot of testing on June 16th and we would like to go to Disney world next week before her appointment. Do you think we could get a guest assistance card?or should we just plan on another time?

What is it about the asthma that prevents her from being able to wait in the standard queue? That's what the CM at guest relations needs to hear. Also, if waiting in an air conditioned, covered queue is something she can't do, you've got to have a good plan of attack for the rest of the trip - there's a lot of outside walking between the attractions, no shade there, very few benches, etc. The queues might be your friend - controlled temps, or at least out of the sun and with huge fans blowing at you. The pace in most queues is slow, calm, and controlled.

Nobody here on the DISboards can guarantee that a DAS (disability access service) will be issued for your daughter. You would need to explain to Guest Relations what it is about a standard queue environment that is hard for your daughter. Most queues at WDW are either indoors with A/C or at least with fans, so you might encounter more heat outside of the queues and there are relatively few benches available. You will need to have plans for keeping her cool when you aren't in queues -- maybe cooling towels, hat with a big brim, misting fan, etc.

Best of luck with her tests and enjoy your vacation!

I would wait until you see the doctor. Maybe, there will be a medicine the doctor will prescribed that will help your daughter.

Also, just in case there may be another issue it's better to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
You can most certainly go to GR and talk to them about your DD needs.

Here is what I would do. I would go in and not say anything about a DAS I would go in and simply say talk about your Childs. disability and what part of Disney will be hard for her, will it be walking that cases problems, will it be the heat, will it be standing. and let the CM at GR knowSince you know your DD best and what you think will be the hardest part of Disney for her and the CM know the parks best and what accommodation they have there then you an come up with the best accommodation for your child. If you go and they suggest something and you find out it is not working then by all means you can go back to GR and talk to them again and let them know why the accmadation is not woking for you and see what they can do.

Have a great trip.

and I would think of this you can do to help your DD at Disney wether or not you do get a DAS as this will make for a much better trip.

Thanks for all the replies.we are probably just postpone the trip till later.
as someone who's Asthma was so bad for 4 or 5 years in my preteen/ teen year I had to spend 90% of my day laying down or I would turn blue, asthma suck big time I hope your DD start to feel better soon I hope that the Dr are able to find the right combo or just the right meds for her, and that she will be able to enjoy Disney soon.

if you still want to go here are a few things ( if her asthma was as bad as mine was there would be no way to go to Disney at all)

since the heat triggers her asthma

get to the park at RD

book FP starting around 10;30-12;30

as soon as you use your last FP see what FP you can find,

use the heat of the day to do indoor things or go back to the hotel to swim, maybe do an ADR lunch if you want to stay in the park

go back to the park if you leave abhor or two before the sun goes down.

things you can bring to help fain with a mister

cooling towel

hat or umbrella ( I like umbrella since they do not trap heat in but be careful of them)

she may do better in a wheel chair to save her energy .

You know your DD if waiting is the best thing then I hope you do not have to wait long to go back

I have asthma and am doing everything I can to be ready for our JULY trip. (Whether is awful but July is the only time my husband can travel.) I'm wearing a hat and bringing a special carrier for bottled water. I planned extra days so we can go slower and sit a lot. But I was worried about lines. Good to hear that they are mostly shady or cooled. That will really help.

As was already mentioned, no one can guarantee whether DAS will be issued or not. DAS is issued at Guest Relations at the Theme Parks and is given based on disability related needs concerning waiting in lines.
If you have not read it, this thread should answer all your questions about DAS at WDW. It is stuck near the top of this board.
ONLY the first post is up to date. The rest of the thread is discussion from just before and just after DAS came into use.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

If you are going to Disneyland instead of WDW, there is a thread stuck near the top of this board discussing DAS at DL.

Thanks for all the replies.we are probably just postpone the trip till later.

Probably a good plan. If you aren't from the south, there is the hotel room to consider as well. Hot humid weather in Florida can make for mold issues. Best request an upper floor. Maybe bring a HEPA air cleaner.

Probably a good plan. If you aren't from the south, there is the hotel room to consider as well. Hot humid weather in Florida can make for mold issues. Best request an upper floor. Maybe bring a HEPA air cleaner.
This is one reason we are looking forward to our stay at YC. DD's asthma is triggered by mold spores and dust mites so we are excited about a room with no carpet! The humidity is something we can't avoid (we are from Mississippi so it's a way of life for us!) but at least we are reducing irritants in our room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter