Does it cool down at night?

mickey+minnie91

Mouseketeer
Heading to WDW from California in June. Use the over 100 days here in CA but we get bit of a cool down at night. Does Florida do that or will it just be HOT all day and night?

As a Florida resident for more than 35 years, I can safely say "no"...probably. It's not the heat that's the problem so much as the humidity. If you've been out all day you may feel less hot once the sun goes down but the humidity in June doesn't generally provide a lot of relief from the heat. Having said that, just know that June weather is generally a LOT more pleasant than July and August weather.

As a Florida resident for more than 35 years, I can safely say "no"...probably. It's not the heat that's the problem so much as the humidity. If you've been out all day you may feel less hot once the sun goes down but the humidity in June doesn't generally provide a lot of relief from the heat. Having said that, just know that June weather is generally a LOT more pleasant than July and August weather.

That’s exactly what I’ve heard from my friend who has lived in Lakeland for many years. I was nervous about traveling to WDW from May 3-8, since I normally go in December or January. He laughed and said, “At least you won’t be here in the middle of August!!” - every longtime Floridian I talk with seems to agree with him 😁

We live not too far from you in norcal, and went to WDW in July 2019 (plus May and June trips a few years before that). It does NOT cool down at night like it does here - not even close. However, it does get marginally more comfortable, especially if it rains in the afternoon, which it usually does. We actually had a couple evenings in July 2019 that were downright pleasant (high 70s-low 80s). It's especially much nicer after dark. We did after hours events for that reason. (Back when those were still a thing.)

My tips for heat: tour as early and as late as possible, with a break in the afternoon for a nap and maybe swimming at the resort. Do a lot of table service meals - those help break up the relentless heat because you can sit in AC for awhile. We used necklace fans a lot. I used body glide on my feet to avoid blisters because of all the sweat. Wear the lightest weight clothes you possibly can. I'm a big fan of workout clothes at WDW in the summer.

Also, once it starts getting hot here, try to spend some time outside. I know our heat is dry, but it honestly still helps with preparation. On our first summer trip, we were living in Orange County (CA), and we struggled with the heat a lot more because we weren't used to it. The humidity is really what kills you in FL, and we don't have that here, but at least you can get partially acclimated.

It will be HOT, but you will still have fun!

See, it's all subjective. I'm from Georgia, to me, yes it does cool down at night. Heck, I've had to put on long sleeves at night in the summer after a rain.

Heading to WDW from California in June. Use the over 100 days here in CA but we get bit of a cool down at night. Does Florida do that or will it just be HOT all day and night?
It's less hot at night, but nothing like California. Be prepared to sweat!

I live in the Tampa Bay area and...I mean, it's somewhat cooler in the evenings in June? It's pleasant, but will be humid. But since the sun will be down, the pavement will be cooler too and that helps a lot.

It defenitely will be cooler in the evening than at, say, 2pm.

Now, tonight? is really nice! Windows open here.

We live not too far from you in norcal, and went to WDW in July 2019 (plus May and June trips a few years before that). It does NOT cool down at night like it does here - not even close. However, it does get marginally more comfortable, especially if it rains in the afternoon, which it usually does. We actually had a couple evenings in July 2019 that were downright pleasant (high 70s-low 80s). It's especially much nicer after dark. We did after hours events for that reason. (Back when those were still a thing.)

My tips for heat: tour as early and as late as possible, with a break in the afternoon for a nap and maybe swimming at the resort. Do a lot of table service meals - those help break up the relentless heat because you can sit in AC for awhile. We used necklace fans a lot. I used body glide on my feet to avoid blisters because of all the sweat. Wear the lightest weight clothes you possibly can. I'm a big fan of workout clothes at WDW in the summer.

Also, once it starts getting hot here, try to spend some time outside. I know our heat is dry, but it honestly still helps with preparation. On our first summer trip, we were living in Orange County (CA), and we struggled with the heat a lot more because we weren't used to it. The humidity is really what kills you in FL, and we don't have that here, but at least you can get partially acclimated.

It will be HOT, but you will still have fun!

I am in Nor Cal too! thank you for your response. Its helpful since you have been to both places and understand that it can be 105 during the day here and then need a sweatshirt at night lol
How could you leave the OC?! We would love to move there after we retire

I am in Nor Cal too! thank you for your response. Its helpful since you have been to both places and understand that it can be 105 during the day here and then need a sweatshirt at night lol
How could you leave the OC?! We would love to move there after we retire

I saw your location on your profile which is why I knew we were basically neighbors and knew exactly what you were asking. :)

I think the biggest surprise to us was how hot it is in FL early in the morning. We get those nice cool mornings here because the hottest part of the day is so much later.

I am actually not a huge fan of OC, though I do love to visit. The only thing I miss about living down there is being local APs at Disneyland...though apparently that's a thing of the past now, anyway! I like the culture up here better than SoCal, and until recently it was MUCH less expensive here. It's still less expensive here....just not as much.

We've done June just about every year since 2005 and yes there is a cool down compared to the day. At night the sun not beating down on you makes a difference as far as tolerating the temperature is concerned. But yeah, the humidity is consistent all day long. And then masks make any time of day worse.

We have made the mistake of thinking we could handle WDW heat because DL was 'not that bad' at the same time of year once and only once. I assume the locals just get used to it. Obviously the temps measurably go down at night but it's not the cool down you are asking about.

California June High/Low is 81/58 w/ 65% humidity.
Orlando June is 91/73 w/ 75% humidity.
With effect of humidity, 81 degrees in 65% humidity feels like 83.
91 degrees in 75% humidity feels like 110.
At night, 58 will feel like 58. 73 will feel like 76.

But since the sun will be down, the pavement will be cooler too and that helps a lot.
That’s sorta true, but at night in the summer (and obviously more so in July and August), you can still feel the heat coming back up off the pavement at night. It’s a weird sensation in the dark.

California June High/Low is 81/58 w/ 65% humidity.
Orlando June is 91/73 w/ 75% humidity.
With effect of humidity, 81 degrees in 65% humidity feels like 83.
91 degrees in 75% humidity feels like 110.
At night, 58 will feel like 58. 73 will feel like 76.

This is a great explanation! OP lives in an area of CA that regularly is high 90s/low 100s in the summer, but in my experience 100+ without the humidity still feels more tolerable than a "real feel" of over 100 because of humidity.

This is a great explanation! OP lives in an area of CA that regularly is high 90s/low 100s in the summer, but in my experience 100+ without the humidity still feels more tolerable than a "real feel" of over 100 because of humidity.

As they say in Arizona, “but it’s a dry heat.”

It was hot at night at WDW last November. Didn’t even put on a jacket after sunset - and I am cold natured.

The OP will probably get some fluke weather and everything will be opposite of what we told them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter