Does Disney own 'Avatar'?

Discussion in 'Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music' started by KayMichigan, Jun 26, 2018.

1. KayMichigan

KayMichigan Earning My Ears

Hi, all -

I'm a bit confused as to why Disney has Avatar-themed attractions in their park. As far as I know, Avatar isn't connected to Disney in any way.

Does anyone know how this worked out?

2. StageTek

StageTek It's kind of fun to do the impossible.

Disney does not own Avatar. The rights are owned by Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment.

The short version is Bob Iger and Tom Staggs approached James Cameron with the idea of an "Avatar" based land. An agreement was made giving Lightstorm, Fox and Cameron a licensing fee and a cut of merchandise.

3. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

Yes, it's similar to how they had Star Wars in the parks before they actually owned it. It's just a licensing deal. However, if the Disney acquisition of Fox goes through, then they will own Fox's stake in the movie and any future films in the series. It is probably one of the reasons they want Fox so badly (though not as much as they want the extant Marvel and Star Wars rights that Fox still holds).

4. KayMichigan

KayMichigan Earning My Ears

OK, thanks for the info! That explains it! I suspect one day one company will just own everything. It'll be either Disney or Amazon...