Does Disney employ meteorologists to track the weather in the parks?

geenerbell

Am I caught up with Robo yet?
How do they monitor and track the weather in Florida and else where? Is there an app so we can get the weather updates that the CM's get?

How do they monitor and track the weather in Florida and else where? Is there an app so we can get the weather updates that the CM's get?

Probably not. Most large corporations whose businesses are greatly affected by weather, subscribe to weather services provided by companies like AccuWeather etc.

I don't know what Disney and Uni use, but have had CMs at both tell me when then they expected the rain to arrive or pass...and be pretty accurate. "It's going to start in about eight minutes." I was impressed.

Weather channel has a regular app, but I haven't found it to be all that accurate. It will say that it is bright and sunny 30 minutes after it clouded up and started raining. It will show rain when it ended an hour ago.

well, kaligal, i can do that, too, but only at 4:40 p.m. it's going to rain in orlando! ta-da! ;)

They monitor the weather at the WDW Operations Center. If necessary, they call out warnings/closure announcements to all CMs who have the Nextel/walkies, especially the managers in the theme parks. But no, they don't actually employ a meteorologist.

well, kaligal, i can do that, too, but only at 4:40 p.m. it's going to rain in orlando! ta-da! ;)

Predicting rain to start in the late afternoon in Orlando during the summer?!

You are a genius! Someone call the Guiness people!

;):);):)

At TL Base Operations they have a 32" monitor that displays a real-time weather map. I'm not sure if it is direct from NWS Radar or another source, but it makes it very easy to track storms and lightning.

Predicting rain to start in the late afternoon in Orlando during the summer?!

You are a genius! Someone call the Guiness people!

;):);):)

that is the easy season, but ask them in December :lmao: then they would really be a genius.. I would love to be a meteorologist. They are about the only ones who can constantly be wrong and never get fired.. think about it :rotfl: they have job security ........:lmao:

At TL Base Operations they have a 32" monitor that displays a real-time weather map. I'm not sure if it is direct from NWS Radar or another source, but it makes it very easy to track storms and lightning.

I know most places use some real time weather map, even local pools and baseball fields do too. I want to say it could possibly be the NWS Radar, this way everyone is all in sync with each other.

I don't know what Disney and Uni use, but have had CMs at both tell me when then they expected the rain to arrive or pass...and be pretty accurate. "It's going to start in about eight minutes." I was impressed.

Weather channel has a regular app, but I haven't found it to be all that accurate. It will say that it is bright and sunny 30 minutes after it clouded up and started raining. It will show rain when it ended an hour ago.

Me too! They know exactly when to put those rain ponchos on the counters!! Code Poncho, Code Poncho!

Operation centers monitor weather as part of their standard duties. They simply follow NWS warnings. And will issue weather advisories on a need-to-know basis. For instance, transportation will issue a weather advisory on wind conditions, while Animal Kingdom won't.

If a CM is giving you rain updates it probably means they just got off break and were checking their phone.

A good weather app. for the Orlando area is Fox 35 weather. It even allows you to center it on one of the Disney parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter