Does anyone 'train' for WDW? (not races)

NightAngelX

Would rather be at WDW
Just wondering if anyone 'trained' at all to prepare for their WDW trips. In general I am planning to lose weight before my next trip. But on my last (first) trip I was so sore after the first day I had to leave before closing and was basically just moving on excitement but in pain the rest of my trip. I am hoping just losing weight helps me do better, but I just wondered if anyone had certain exercises or 'training' before they go. I mean I can walk but there is no way to recreate being on my feet and walking all day (I have a desk job).

Thanks in advance for any replies! :goodvibes

We did. Not really for ourselves, more for our kids. Every afternoon during the summer I would take the kids for a walk when it was really hot and sticky out. I also put DS#2 in his stroller and he learned to take naps in it. We also walked again every night when DH was home. So when we were down there, the kids were used to walking a lot and used to doing it in the heat. Maybe not what you are really looking for in an answer, but yes my family did train for our first trip to disney

My first trip to WDW my legs and feet were so sore after the frist few days I vowed that before i ever went back I would start walking 3 months before we went. I got up to 3 miles a day. It made a huge difference the next visit. Well worth the time spent getting in shape for WDW.
That time spent walking turned into jog/walk/jog now I am in training for a half marathon at DL.
I too work at a desk job. I have found that the walking relieved alot of work stress.

Yep, and I try to recommend it to people when they ask me about planning.! About 3-4 months out we start walking and try to build up to 4 miles of straight walking. Even though we stop and rest at WDW the 4 miles built up a good endurance.
We average 8-12 miles a day at WDW, but I know when pjlla and I were there together she and her DD hit over 17 one day.

Sent from my iPhone using DISboards

I should have! I always said I was going to, but I never followed through. Kind of how I was with anything fitness related! I am ready now...if I only had a trip coming up!

Thanks all! 4 miles a day seems doable and is the exact type of tip I was looking for.

Right now its bitterly cold here in Iowa but I still walk my dog at least a block for the past few months. I could walk further but DH cannot (he has severe arthritis and uses an ECV at Disney world). I need to start continuing my walk after I walk him back home but its usually so cold I don't want to. :)

We are hoping to go in December next so walking in the heat isn't an issue. Actually I'd much rather walk in heat than cold. I hate the cold. I have no idea why i live in Iowa. :rotfl:

Thanks for all the feedback. It gives me a concrete fitness goal to work towards. :cool1:

We googled how far from our house to Disney World...
As a family we walked and biked our neighborhood and bike trails 'down there' by the time we went. It was over 1100 miles that as a family in 3 months we completed. Good quality time spent doing it together....we were in great shape (working to get back into that shape now) and landed us in Women's Day! :):lmao::):lmao:

zoo2tycoon said:
As a family we walked and biked our neighborhood and bike trails 'down there' by the time we went. It was over 1100 miles that as a family in 3 months we completed. Good quality time spent doing it together....we were in great shape (working to get back into that shape now) and landed us in Women's Day! :):lmao::):lmao:

Such a good idea! I'm stealing it. We just got back from Disney and no one ( but my 18 mont old) had any trouble with keeping up with the walking. I know my kids would love to see how far "we went". It can keep us excited for Disney til our next trip.

That is awesome!!! I LOVE this idea! So cool! :thumbsup2

1288 miles for me...I wonder if I can do it....

For our very first trip, we made the kids do lots of walking before. They were (and are) very athletic, but we think the walking helped a lot!

Somewhere nearby on here is the "Walk to Disney" thread. That is fun! Before our trip to DLR I googled how far it was and then set out to "get there" before I got there! Lots of motivation. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter