Does anyone have pics of main street closure?

jlnten17

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Going to be there in 2 weeks and curious how bad foot traffic will be and if we will still be able to get to all shops/attractions on Main Street.

I saw a few photos from yesterday and it didn't look like they've started doing anything yet. While DLR does like to do things in a surprising way, I can't image they would block access to the shops and restaurants on Main Street during construction. My guess is that traffic won't be any worse than during the parades/fireworks when you can't walk down the middle of Main Street, but the sidewalks and shops/restaurants are open.

I saw a few photos from yesterday and it didn't look like they've started doing anything yet. While DLR does like to do things in a surprising way, I can't image they would block access to the shops and restaurants on Main Street during construction. My guess is that traffic won't be any worse than during the parades/fireworks when you can't walk down the middle of Main Street, but the sidewalks and shops/restaurants are open.
Thanks! Will just keep checking blogs etc for pics then. We are WDW vets but this is only our 2nd trip to DL and the first was years ago. Not going to let the construction dampen our trip but want to be prepared since we like to bring our sit and stand stroller for 2 and 5 year old but could bring a smaller one and make the 5 year old walk if we had too. Flying so can’t really bring both

I'm hoping they'll just block off one section at a time. The tracks cover quite a bit of area. Walls everywhere wouldn't be fun to look at.

I'm hoping they'll just block off one section at a time. The tracks cover quite a bit of area. Walls everywhere wouldn't be fun to look at.
That would be nice. My biggest concern is getting to something on the opposite side of the street without walking all the way around a wall that runs the length of Main Street

That would be nice. My biggest concern is getting to something on the opposite side of the street without walking all the way around a wall that runs the length of Main Street
I didn't think about that. If you were on one side, you would have to go alllll the way down to either the castle or the main street train station to get to the other side. Not good.

not looking forward to this.....really worried it will take away the magical feeling....

Last time they did rail work on and around main street, they built walls that were only 3-4' tall on either side of the tracks with a roof...so it was just like a long box going down the middle of main street with cut outs to walk between. They were just big enough to cover the tracks and you could tell they moved them at night to actually do the work so they did not wall off all the work area needed full time. Other than navigating around them, it did not block the visuals at all. Would fully expect to see the same thing for this refurb again and would not worry one bit.

The description from ParkHopper1 sounds wonderful - if that is all they do then that will be no disruption whatsoever. I would think that fire regulations would have some say in how they handle a main traffic artery of the park as well. It would be nice to still be able to see the castle from the end of the street.

The description from ParkHopper1 sounds wonderful - if that is all they do then that will be no disruption whatsoever. I would think that fire regulations would have some say in how they handle a main traffic artery of the park as well. It would be nice to still be able to see the castle from the end of the street.
This is a good point! Hoping we can at least cut through one or 2 places to get from side to side. Yes it doesn’t “look” perfect but I’ve been to WDW enough times to not let that bother me. There’s always a crane in front of the castle or a cover up for paint etc

Last time they did rail work on and around main street, they built walls that were only 3-4' tall on either side of the tracks with a roof...so it was just like a long box going down the middle of main street with cut outs to walk between. They were just big enough to cover the tracks and you could tell they moved them at night to actually do the work so they did not wall off all the work area needed full time. Other than navigating around them, it did not block the visuals at all. Would fully expect to see the same thing for this refurb again and would not worry one bit.

Im hoping so & would hope we can walk from one side to the other without walking right around.....were coming along way to visit Disney.....

Yes it would be that extra special if we could see the castle from the end of the street.

This is what I was hoping for. I think they realize how important that first visual is when you walk in the parks.

That looks awful to be honest - is there a date for when this is supposed to be completed?

I am hoping because this is the hub it has to be that high and disruptive and that by the time they are actually working down the main street they can make it less ugly.

Today. Gotta be honest, it doesn't look great.
I had been hopeful it would be a bit less intrusive. Will be interested to see if they reopen that area as they continue moving it towards the front of the park.
And Thank You for posting!

So, is the full hub blocked off? Can you walk through the castle?

We will be there on the 21st. Here’s to hoping the hub will be done by then...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter