Does anyone have a picture of the manual wheelchairs they rent at Disney?

Discussion in 'disABILITIES!' started by KarenP64, Jan 5, 2019.

1. KarenP64

KarenP64 Mouseketeer

I wanted to see if you can purchase one somewhere (like Amazon). I rode in one when we were there in 2014, but I don't have any pictures to see what exactly they look like. I realize they would have very rugged wheels to make it easy for someone to push around the park all done. Any assistance/photos would be very helpful! Thank you!

2. RaySharpton

RaySharpton Retired and going to Disney.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/wheelchair-rentals/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

A long time ago before using a scooter and wheelchair and just using a walking cane, I tried using a wheelchair from the parks and it was very, very difficult to roll it by myself.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    cmmc, mamabunny and SimplyTink like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

Lauren in NC and RaySharpton like this.
  5. Staren

Staren Mouseketeer

Having used these chairs myself, I would strongly agree with @RaySharpton. These are not great wheelchairs for pushing yourself. I don't know most wheelchair models by sight, but there are a couple of brands that use very similar generic hospital grade designs. A few that come to mind are Drive Medical, Invacare, and Medline. These kinds of chairs are available on Amazon in the $150 - $250 range. Now, these kinds of chairs will get the job done, but they are not what anyone in the know would consider good wheelchairs for a lot of reasons. That's a lot more involved of a conversation though, and the price jumps pretty quickly. What I would consider an acceptable, but not good chair starts around $600 and it goes up from there.

mamabunny, Groot and RaySharpton like this.
  6. KarenP64

KarenP64 Mouseketeer

Thank you so much, everyone!! That's extremely helpful! Actually, I wasn't going to push it myself; my husband pushed me when we rented them on our 2014 trip. After that trip, I bought one of those low priced wheelchairs to use around town but found they are not good at all for theme parks/zoos, etc. because the front wheel is so small & they don't have that big, cushiony rubber on the wheels like the WDW ones do. Those pictures really helped me see what the difference is! But I haven't seen on Amazon a wheelchair like this with that thick rubber. Anyone know if that is sold anywhere in the $200-ish range online? Thanks again for all the assistance!!

Groot and RaySharpton like this.
  7. RaySharpton

I have no experience with buying a wheelchair except for renting, only one time, a wheelchair at the EPCOT park to use for myself and with no one to push me. But I thought that this information might help you make a decision when searching.

The
    wheelchair shown below has been discontinued. But, I thought the other info might help you.

As I have mentioned before, I have no experience in manual wheelchairs, but here is some info at Spinlife.com.

Groot likes this.
  8. Staren

Staren Mouseketeer

This is the main thing with wheelchair tires. The stock tires on pretty much any wheelchair are junk. You can either go to somewhere like Spinlife or SportAid to buy a chair with your choice of tires, or you can buy a chair and take it to a bike shop. Most of these cheaper chairs are not set up for air filled tires, but solid no flat bike tires can usually be swapped in. Actually got myself through Boy Scouts back in the day with that trick.

mamabunny and Groot like this.
  9. KarenP64

KarenP64 Mouseketeer

Thank you again for all the helpful info!!

10. Groot

Groot Still recovering from the events of Infinity War.

I’d be careful with getting a generic manual chair. From my experience, the ones at Disney, after heavy use, at least one of the rear wheels, or casters, or BOTH tend to go flat pretty quick. Also, with those rear wheels, pushing them up a hill is daunting and the armrests can sometimes impede your ability to self push. I’d recommend getting a manual chair that has armrests that are removable or one that you can have the option of not getting any armrests at all.

If you can, there are some PORTABLE folding powerchairs that can fit inside your car trunk that’ll make getting around easier. (Like the Fold and Go.) But the only thing is, these chairs can weigh as much as 55 lbs. (24.94 kilograms). But luckily, Fold and Go is currently developing a chair lift so that getting the chair in and out of the car much easier. (Another thing, Fold and Go is the ONLY WATERPROOF powerchair on the market.)

Now, I know a powerchair is more expensive, but when all you have to do is push a joystick with 1 finger vs. pushing with your arms, the powerchair is worth it. (Plus some companies have layaway, rent before you buy, and other payment plans so that you can find the chair that’s right for you.)

KarenP64 and RaySharpton like this.
  11. RaySharpton

Can you tell me more about this?

Groot likes this.
  12. Groot

They mentioned this on their Facebook page.

13. RaySharpton

Is it possible that you could find that info about Fold and Go Wheelchairs developing on Facebook? I looked on Facebook and their website and I couldn't find any information about a lift for their wheelchair to lift into a car. I presume to lift into the trunk. That is what I would be interested in buying. Not one of those lifts on the market that look like a construction lift that is bolted into the trunk and not something that attaches to the tailgate hitch. It would be great if they developed one.

14. Staren

Staren Mouseketeer

And I thought we might be able to avoid the power chair vs manual chair debate in this thread. :P I personally avoid power chairs. One more thing to charge. Plus mechanical devices are generally more durable than electrical devices. Plus when they do break, they are generally easier and quicker to fix. Now this is the opinion of someone who can very easily use a manual chair.

If someone was looking for a folding chair for long term use, I would defiantly point them in the direction of the folding ultralights by TiLite, Quickie, Motion Composites, ect. Your quality of life with these chairs compared to hospital grade goes up by magnitudes. However, they are not cheap, and they are made to measure. You are looking at paying out of pocket $1,500+ or dealing with insurance, and waiting for the build time. While I am a proponent of getting a good wheelchair if you need a wheelchair, you do need to take the realities of doing so into consideration.

KarenP64 and RaySharpton like this.
  15. RaySharpton

Hi, Staren. I am not advocating the poster to buy a power chair. I was just responding to the possibility of a lift specifically for my go and fold wheelchair. At 68 years old, I may eventually need help with lifting. Right now I don't own a car and I rarely rent a car. I really do not want to go into my personal medical reasons for not getting a manual wheelchair. If I could, that is the route of a manual chair that I would consider that you mention. Thank you for all of your advice on manual wheelchairs. No offense intended.

KarenP64 likes this.
  16. Staren

Staren Mouseketeer

No offense taken. The introduction to my last post was a bit of a half joke mainly in response to @Groot bringing up one specific power chair brand when up until that point the conversation had been on manual chair options. Being a social worker in the disability field along with living with a disability myself, anything that comes even close to a sales pitch for one option rubs me the wrong way. That's why I'm always careful to offer a few different brands when I talk about a type wheelchair or other mobility device.

mamabunny likes this.
  17. RaySharpton

Thank you, Staren. I am retired and for another couple of years still a Registered Respiratory Therapist. But I really don't think that I will be going back to work even PRN.

And I plead guilty in one of my previous threads bringing up one specific electric wheelchair that I bought recently.

I was just so excited when I used it at WDW and then buying one. So much better than my other mobility scooters.

I'll try and be more careful when posting. Thank you again.

18. Groot

8DCCEE73-DCBD-4B2E-902C-17004B28E800.jpeg

RaySharpton likes this.
  19. mamabunny

mamabunny DIS Veteran

I think the hardest part about the manual wheelchair issue at WDW is the number of folks who think they can just roll up (pun intended) and hop in that chair and self propel all over WDW.

At MK, they get from the rental location to about the Castle Hub before it sinks in that they *might not* be able to do this for very long... And if they do manage to go longer, the next day their arms and shoulders are screaming, and probably feel like limp noodles. Most people have no idea how well conditioned your arms become when you use a chair, and how crucial the difference is between a generic rental and a custom chair, like a TiLite. (disclaimer: our daughter's chair is a TiLite)

RaySharpton likes this.
  20. Groot

Or that one hill in between France and England...

mamabunny likes this.
  21. RaySharpton

Thank you so much, Groot. I am so excited about this. I must be on a different Facebook page because I didn't see any of the info that you posted, but I am very grateful for you taking the time to show it to me. Thank you so much.

Edited to say I found the posts under the Tripod Seat thread.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Groot likes this.