Does Anthem of the Seas offer Debarkation PCR Tests?

dvcdisney

DIS Veteran
As a Canadian, my family and I are required to have a PCR tests in order to return home. We are all fully vaccinated so we would need a negative test 2 days prior to the cruise but would not be getting an embarkation test (according the current policy on the website).

So I was wondering if Anthem of the Seas (departing from Cape Liberty) offers a PCR test that my family could take for the test requirement to return to Canada.

If so, is there a cost? How do I book it for my family?

Any experience and help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruiseIt's mentioned under the 2-11 group. As long as you are vaccinated they will cover the cost of the test to get back into your home country.

Thanks so much!

I noticed that section about vaccinated guest. It seemed odd it was put under that section so I wanted to make sure.

Is the type of test posted anywhere? Or do they provide whatever is needed? For instance, we would need a PCR test and not the antigen test.

Thanks so much!

I noticed that section about vaccinated guest. It seemed odd it was put under that section so I wanted to make sure.

Is the type of test posted anywhere? Or do they provide whatever is needed? For instance, we would need a PCR test and not the antigen test.
I know that people have gotten PCR tests onboard, so I assume they give whatever your country requires. Which date are you on? We will be on the Thanksgiving Anthem cruise.

We have Anthem booked in Dec and are coming from Ontario. My understanding is you can request a PCR test in order to return to your home country. It is of no charge but you need to arrange it (I assume at guest services)

I know that people have gotten PCR tests onboard, so I assume they give whatever your country requires. Which date are you on? We will be on the Thanksgiving Anthem cruise.

Thanks!

I hope so. They're not very clear on the website.

We're thinking of doing the Christmas one.

Last edited:

We have Anthem booked in Dec and are coming from Ontario. My understanding is you can request a PCR test in order to return to your home country. It is of no charge but you need to arrange it (I assume at guest services)

Thanks! We're also planning a Dec cruise and this is our first cruise in Cape Liberty and I'm starting to get nervous about being able to find a PCR test before flying home.

We've only been to one other RCL cruise so I'm still doing a lot of research. DCL has always been our cruise line of choice but we're seriously considering not going to Florida at this point.

Thanks! We're also planning a Dec cruise and this is our first cruise in Cape Liberty and I'm starting to get nervous about being able to find a PCR test before flying home.

We've only been to one other RCL cruise so I'm still doing a lot of research. DCL has always been our cruise line of choice but we're seriously considering not going to Florida at this point.
I hear you...it's all so nerve racking. What I like about Royal...but it also can make for last minute disappointment is all of their protocols with needing to be vaccinated and an antigen test to be able to board. And if by chance anyone is positive, then they do refund you.

I see from above you are looking at Anthem's Christmas cruise. That's the one we are on. We are nervous, but really would love to get back to cruising and as you say, New Jersey is better than Florida. It's great that Royal provides the PCR test. (I'm pretty sure...although I was trying to find a link that states it for you and can't find anything). Honestly, my main worry is that we test positive at that point...DH and I are thinking of bringing our work laptops just in case that scenario happens (and maybe kids bring school laptops).

It'll be our first time on Anthem but we have been on Royal. Their ships are amazing.

I hear you...it's all so nerve racking. What I like about Royal...but it also can make for last minute disappointment is all of their protocols with needing to be vaccinated and an antigen test to be able to board. And if by chance anyone is positive, then they do refund you.

I see from above you are looking at Anthem's Christmas cruise. That's the one we are on. We are nervous, but really would love to get back to cruising and as you say, New Jersey is better than Florida. It's great that Royal provides the PCR test. (I'm pretty sure...although I was trying to find a link that states it for you and can't find anything). Honestly, my main worry is that we test positive at that point...DH and I are thinking of bringing our work laptops just in case that scenario happens (and maybe kids bring school laptops).

It'll be our first time on Anthem but we have been on Royal. Their ships are amazing.

Thanks for looking for me. I found ones that say they would provide the test, but not the specific test. I sent an email to try and get something in writing.

We're interested in this cruise for several reasons:
- not in Florida at this point
- accepts antigen test (which is less expensive in Canada)
- we can use the antigen test we are doing to go to US since we've decided to just time our flight to arrive the night before the cruise -- which means that if we test positive, we don't go and we can just stay home and not have to find a way to get back home

We only cruised once before with Royal and it was on the Allure. It was fun, but the kids were still younger and preferred the clubs in DCL. They're older now so the activities would be more appealing.

Thanks again! We're cautiously looking forward to it...but, like you, we're still nervous. As with everyone, we've had to cancel a few cruise already and just want to get back to cruising as well. Let's hope we're all still going forward!

We are booked on the Anthem in January. We have sailed her 3 other times and love the ship and the fact we can drive to the cruise port.i hope we can cruise, it has been postponed two times already!

We are booked on the Anthem in January. We have sailed her 3 other times and love the ship and the fact we can drive to the cruise port.i hope we can cruise, it has been postponed two times already!

This would be our first time departing from Cape Liberty. Would love some tips about the port.

Thanks for looking for me. I found ones that say they would provide the test, but not the specific test. I sent an email to try and get something in writing.

We're interested in this cruise for several reasons:
- not in Florida at this point
- accepts antigen test (which is less expensive in Canada)
- we can use the antigen test we are doing to go to US since we've decided to just time our flight to arrive the night before the cruise -- which means that if we test positive, we don't go and we can just stay home and not have to find a way to get back home

We only cruised once before with Royal and it was on the Allure. It was fun, but the kids were still younger and preferred the clubs in DCL. They're older now so the activities would be more appealing.

Thanks again! We're cautiously looking forward to it...but, like you, we're still nervous. As with everyone, we've had to cancel a few cruise already and just want to get back to cruising as well. Let's hope we're all still going forward!
Would love if you could report back if you get a response.
Definitely some pros listed above. We are doing the same....antigen test on the Wed, fly the Thurs, cruise is the Friday. We have booked refundable flight as well just in case things don't work out. (First time ever booking refundable).

Allure is a great ship (although missing the slides and stuff, and some stuff for older kids). From what I hear, not everything is running on Anthem at current time (e.g. no escape room, no rollerblading), but still seems like tons to do. Same...have had a few cruises cancelled...including this one back in March 2020....so very anxious to return. I'm ready to start packing.

Definitely some pros listed above. We are doing the same....antigen test on the Wed, fly the Thurs, cruise is the Friday. We have booked refundable flight as well just in case things don't work out. (First time ever booking refundable).

Allure is a great ship (although missing the slides and stuff, and some stuff for older kids). From what I hear, not everything is running on Anthem at current time (e.g. no escape room, no rollerblading), but still seems like tons to do. Same...have had a few cruises cancelled...including this one back in March 2020....so very anxious to return. I'm ready to start packing.

Absolutely no problem reporting back. I'm a little surprise that I haven't received a response yet.

I do see that it'll be different from Allure. The ships seem to get bigger and offering more and more activities. So we would love to try Anthem.

Anthem has roller skating (old style), bumper cars, basketball, soccer, many video games, etc in the sea plex.
There isn’t much near Cape Liberty, but there are several hotels right by the airport that are short drives to the port. The port is out by itself and has a parking lot and parking garage. We try to get into the garage so our car is somewhat protected from weather while we are gone.

Anthem has roller skating (old style), bumper cars, basketball, soccer, many video games, etc in the sea plex.
There isn’t much near Cape Liberty, but there are several hotels right by the airport that are short drives to the port. The port is out by itself and has a parking lot and parking garage. We try to get into the garage so our car is somewhat protected from weather while we are gone.

Thanks! I think we're looking at a hotel close to the airport. Is there one that you would recommend?

I think we were at a Hilton, but can’t remember if it was a Hampton Inn or not. It was fine and right next to several others.

I still haven't received a reply from RCCL. I've followed up several times.

A friend who is also going on the cruise had called me recently and said that her agent had informed her that they only had Antigen tests according to the RCCL rep she spoke with about a week ago.

I really wish they would respond. Other people had mentioned to me that when they called, they were told that they would be given a PCR test if needed. But this was just speaking with them. Nothing written.

Thanks for the update (or letting me know you are still waiting). Not sure if it helps but I found these two links on Royal's site:
  1. This link states that they do provide a covid test if needed for re-entry for vaccinated guests (doesn't specify the type but I would assume the test that is required - so PCR for us)
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise...see under "sailing from US", "kids 2-11 complimentary tests", and then the second bullet about vaccinated guests (not sure why it is under kids section)
  1. This indicates that they have PCR testing available
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/...f-a-guest-or-crew-member-feels-unwell-onboard

Thanks for the update (or letting me know you are still waiting). Not sure if it helps but I found these two links on Royal's site:
  1. This link states that they do provide a covid test if needed for re-entry for vaccinated guests (doesn't specify the type but I would assume the test that is required - so PCR for us)
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise...see under "sailing from US", "kids 2-11 complimentary tests", and then the second bullet about vaccinated guests (not sure why it is under kids section)
  1. This indicates that they have PCR testing available
https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/...f-a-guest-or-crew-member-feels-unwell-onboard

I also assumed that they wouldn't specifically state that they provide it for return to other countries if it was only Antigen. I understand that some countries to accept it, but Canada (their neighbour) doesn't and I'm sure they're aware of that.

I also did find it seems strange that they put it under the kids section.

By the way, I called again and I was told they would provide what is needed. The rep I was speaking with seemed somewhat confused as why I would ask this. I asked where it was written on the website and he referred me to that same section. So I did mention that I was finding conflicting information. Why are some people and even travel agents being told they only provide Antigen tests.

I did read it as they would provide the tests needed to return to any country. But I would prefer they were specific that these tests are PCR test and perhaps provide details on how to reserve it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter