Does an infant need a boarding pass if not occupying a seat?

camtheriot

DIS Veteran
I have only flown once before, and have never flown with children - so I need some help with this one. We are flying Delta and will be holding our 9mo old in my lap (or DH's lap). I purchased the etickets from priceline and there was a place to check off when purchasing tickets that asked if there would be an infant flying in a lap. However, there is nothing on my receipt or itinerary that notes an infant is flying. Will I have any trouble when I get there? Will he need a boarding pass? Should I call Delta directly?

I know I asked about a thousand questions so far, but you all give such good advice!!:thumbsup2 :lovestruc

Thanks to everyone for the invaluable help in planning this trip thus far!!

I would call Delta and have them tell you if anything is needed. The lap child needs to be listed on the manifest.

on our last trip, we made sure that the airline was aware of our lap-sit infant. upon check-in, the airline worker verbally aknowledged our ds and sent us on our way. after waiting in a mile-long line @ security - we were sent back to check-in as the worker failed to actually NOTE this on our boarding passes!! we had to walk all the way back, wait in line @ check-in again, correct her oversight, and then wait at security AGAIN. we were travelling under a tight security week and lines were crazy long. needless to say, we nearly missed our flight - even though we had arrived 3 hours prior to departure. now we know to check and then double check!

on our last trip, we made sure that the airline was aware of our lap-sit infant. upon check-in, the airline worker verbally aknowledged our ds and sent us on our way. after waiting in a mile-long line @ security - we were sent back to check-in as the worker failed to actually NOTE this on our boarding passes!! we had to walk all the way back, wait in line @ check-in again, correct her oversight, and then wait at security AGAIN. we were travelling under a tight security week and lines were crazy long. needless to say, we nearly missed our flight - even though we had arrived 3 hours prior to departure. now we know to check and then double check!

Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely check my boarding pass. However, I plan on checking in online (if that is possible with a lap infant?). Will it be noted on the boarding pass? Will it have his name or just that an infant is riding in my lap?

thanks,

I don't think you will be able to check in online with the lap infant. They will print INFANT on your boarding pass. Same thing happened to us as did mygirl....they did not print INFANT on my wife's ticket...and were turned back at the security line to reprint our boarding pass.

They don't need an actual boarding pass, but they *do* need what is known as a "security document" specifically for each lap child that will allow the child to pass through the security process. This is not technically a BP, but you won't get through security without it. You will have to get it from the airline's ticket counter after you arrive at the airport. It cannot be done via kiosk, you need to speak to a ticket agent.

It is always a good idea to carry a photocopy of a birth certificate when lap-carrying a child. To be eligible to go free of charge, the child MUST NOT have passed his/her 2nd birthday, and airlines will sometimes ask for proof of that. (Well, SWA will *always* ask for proof, even for a tiny infant; it is their policy to treat all lap children equally.)

Thanks again guys! I am much more prepared now because of your great advice. My DH didn't really want to fly because he thought it would be too much of a hassle with kids, so I'm really glad I asked these questions. He would have definitely given me those "I told you so" looks if we had to go to the check in counter TWICE!!:scared1:

CAN'T WAIT TO GO TO DISNEY!!:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!