Documentation for 16+

yoopertravelers

Mouseketeer
We have a 16 and 17 year old coming with, neither have passports. When I read on the Disney site it says documentation for under 16 is a birth certificate. Will that work for the 16 and 17 year old as well?

Everyone only has to have a BC to board for a closed-loop cruise departing from a U.S. port, and you don't carry that with you into the ports. When you return to the ship they will need to check your KTTW card and a photo ID for adults. IDK if it is 16+ since our kids aren't that age yet.

Birth certificates are fine for all ages. The older teens will most likely need picture ID as well. On our Dream cruise in December, everyone got a cursory glance.

Original or a copy of Birth Certificate?

You don't need your actual original birth certificate, but you do need an official certificate issued by your local vital records agency. Those can be copies made by the agency but generally have some kind of raised seal imprint or other security device. You can't just make your own photocopy and use that, although you may want to take one in case the official copy is lost.

For US citizens on a closed loop cruise (one that begins and ends in the same US port) you need a government-issued birth certificate and, for those 16 and older a government issued picture ID.

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a government issued photo ID. If the child is a newborn and the actual birth certificate has not arrived from the Vital Records Department, we will accept a Hospital issued birth certificate. The United States does not require you to have a passport. (A Consular report of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State or a Certificate of Naturalization is also acceptable.)
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1139/~/documents-needed-to-take-a-cruise

We took a picture ID for our then-16 year olds. Neither one had a driver's license yet so we got them a non-driver's ID issued by the state for $10 each. Their IDs were checked on our cruise last year.

Is it up to the port's discretion whether or not they check the photo I.D.? Usually DCL tells us to take the photo I.D. but I've rarely if ever had to show more than my KTTW card. No doubt as soon as I leave my driver's license in the stateroom safe, that will be the time the port authority wants to see it.

Is it up to the port's discretion whether or not they check the photo I.D.? Usually DCL tells us to take the photo I.D. but I've rarely if ever had to show more than my KTTW card. No doubt as soon as I leave my driver's license in the stateroom safe, that will be the time the port authority wants to see it.

I'm sure it's at the discretion of the port. We've had this happen in St. Martin for sure, and maybe in Nassau and St. Thomas as well. DCL actually used to check photo ID every time you got back on the ship, but it's not necessary now they have photos that come up when you scan your card.

I've never had them check photo ID on Castaway Cay since they started taking security photos on Embarkation, but they do still say they require you have photo ID to get off the ship.

Personally, I can't imagine leaving the ship without some form of official photo identification - just in case something happens and I need to be identified. I don't go anywhere at home without it, so I can't imagine going anywhere abroad without it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter