• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Do your kids go to school the day after Halloween?

Do your kids go to school the day after Halloween?

• If it's a school day and they're not sick, they go

• No; they've been out late or it's a special day so we let them stay home

• They stay out of school for religious reasons

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Everyone is expected to be in school the day after Halloween - however, the teachers are nice enough not to assign any homework on Halloween so the kids are free to trick-or-treat at whatever time is convenient for the family..:goodvibes

Wish someone would have told DDs teachers that. She had double math homework last night. DD got hers done around 4:30, but I talked to her friends DM and she was still working on it at 5:00. They are in the 6th grade.

If she wanted to blow one of her "personal days" that I let her take off during hte year on today she could but she never picks this as one of those days-she prefers to take the days off when I am on vacation from work too. But as far as being out late, we were in by 8:15pm after going trick or treating striaght through from 345 so after 4 1/2 hours of trick or treating we were ready for bed! Her normal bedtime is 10-10:30 so she actually went to bed earlier than normal after all that exercise. Now the question is what in the world am I going to do with about 20 pounds of candy???? I did pack up at least half of it (the things she doesn't like and the taffy like things that stick to teeth)to bring to work for the guys

I went to Catholic school and we never went to school on November 1st. It's All Saints Day (A Catholic Religious Holiday).
Dang, I went to the wrong schools ;) The only thing different was that they had an "All School Mass" that day. I checked the school calendar and they still do it that way too :teeth:

My DD is going to school today :teacher:

My son tried to convince me today was " Senior skip day ":rolleyes1 Needless to say he went to school today!

If I'm not sick or an accident involving my family happened.

I go to school. I am never allowed to skip school for any reasons besides those.
And I wouldn't have it any other way.
I'm going to school today and so is my brother.

Dang, I went to the wrong schools ;) The only thing different was that they had an "All School Mass" that day. I checked the school calendar and they still do it that way too :teeth:

Me too, we never had off on Holy Days except for Christmas break and Good Friday. Our school had Mass before school EVERY day, the only difference on All Saints was that there were a bunch of adults there!
I went to a pretty strict school though, we had homework 4 nights a week in every subject, Halloween was no exception. You had to learn to budget your time, a skill which I've been thankful for all my life. We didn't have parties for holidays and birthdays, just cupcakes or other treats at lunch. The only "goof-off" days were the last day before breaks, we'd get assemblies in the afternoon or movies.

I guess that's why I kind of go :eek: when I see what parents complain about in their kids schools.

Despite their sugar hangovers, my kids are going to school. It is just Halloween, for goodness sake.

After you put up your poll and included the "religious reasons" option, I recalled that tomorrow IS All Saint's Day. So perhaps if the kids go to Catholic school, they do not have school tomorrow.

Our oldest went to a Catholic college and they did not have classes on the Holy Days. :)

i went to school on All Saint's Day when i was in a catholic school :confused3

My co-worker has her kids in Catholic school and they are off today. Our DS5 goes to a Lutheran school and he has school today. He's off Mon-Wed next week due to parent/teacher conferences.

After you put up your poll and included the "religious reasons" option, I recalled that tomorrow IS All Saint's Day. So perhaps if the kids go to Catholic school, they do not have school tomorrow.

Our oldest went to a Catholic college and they did not have classes on the Holy Days. :)

16 years of Catholic school here and DS10 goes to Catholic school and today is a holy day of obligation so we ALWAYS get the day after Halloween off:thumbsup2 but the public schools do go around here.

ETA: I also lived in NY growing up and I always had off too so it is not a PA Catholic school thing

My boys wanted to stay home today, but I sent them all to school. I'm such a mean mom. :teeth:

Our public schools are closed for today and tomorrow. Today we meet with the teachers to discuss the kids and their progress so far. It works out well that it is the day after halloween - although my daughter was up at 7 am and normally I would have a hard time getting her up for school.

If the schools were open they'd def. be at school. I would never keep them home just because it's the day after halloween.

ps - I went to Catholic school and I believe I always had the day off after halloween because of All saints day.

DD14 insists that many of her friends "never" go to school the day after Halloween. I've never heard of such a thing. Is this common?

Editing to clarify: I don't mean a scheduled day for the schools to be closed. I mean that the parents LET the kids take an "unscheduled" day off.

ETA: She'd be in school even if she was the only one there. And she's not giving me a hard time about it. Just for the record.
Your daughter's trying to get away with something. As a teacher, I can assure you that the day after Halloween is NOT an acceptable skip day among most of the students. Absences are about the same as any other school day.

With your added clarification -- I don't know a single person who uses the day after Halloween as a skip day. My DD has never said anything about it and she's 8th grade -- I saw plenty of kids at her bus stop this morning, so apparently their parents haven't heard of it either. :lmao:

I think my 5th grader would have been really mad if he didn't get to go today. Their class is having a fun lunch that they all earned & voted on, where they play games, watch a movie & are allowed to bring in 1 non-caffeine pop to drink.

The only skip day I've heard of is Senior Skip day and I'm not even sure that's a specific day -- usually just something in the spring that Seniors decided "Ok, today would be a good day to skip school" (at least that is how WE did it.)

if my kids aren't sick and they are suppose to be in school they will go to school. I think attendence is very important.

The funny thing about Halloween in school too is we all had to dress up (as SAINTS). We had a little parade of religious characters. I remember my mother making my costumes. I was Mary one year. :laughing:

When we got into High School we dressed in normal Halloween costumes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter