Do you use a camper oven?

amyg1

Mouseketeer
We have been looking at trailers and saw that a lot of them have ovens. I am struggling to understand why that is a good use of space. Stovetop, sure. Grill, yeah! Even a microwave.. But I am struggling to come up with a reason I would want an oven while camping. What would you cook in an oven while camping?

We have been looking at trailers and saw that a lot of them have ovens. I am struggling to understand why that is a good use of space. Stovetop, sure. Grill, yeah! Even a microwave.. But I am struggling to come up with a reason I would want an oven while camping. What would you cook in an oven while camping?
We use ours...for storing pots and pans. Otherwise never used. Temp is very difficult to control, but not impossible. In our first TT my wife did bake 2 cakes (small) in it and it worked, but took some patience in the process. We just typically stick to things that can be done on stove top, griddle, or grill

My 5th wheels and TT's all had an oven and a microwave. I would occasionally use the oven. The microwave was a daily thing. The coach has a convection microwave and I use it a lot for the convection side. It also has a combo function that microwaves and convection heat at the same time. That works really well defrosting and quick baking things.

I would definitely go for a convection/microwave if it is an option.

j

A lot of retired people live in their RV. It isn't necessarily camping, they stay in an RV Park and live in their RV for months on end. My parents did it for 5 years, they used their oven to cook all the things you'd cook in your oven at home.

We use ours all the time, mostly for stuff like fries, pizza, biscuits, dips, reheating things. I have not used it for hard core backing like making a lasagna, pot roast or a roasted chicken or anything like that.

Ok, so maybe my question is how do you fit stuff in the fridge that you'd put in the oven?

We use ours...for storing pots and pans. Otherwise never used. Temp is very difficult to control, but not impossible.

Our first camper had a small propane powered oven. Had to bend down and reach WAY in the back to light it and while the dial indicated a variety of available temperatures, the flame on the gas pipe in the oven only had two levels: low and high.

They're generally pretty useless. Some trailer rental companies in the past have either disabled the oven (because one-time users don't know how to finesse the temperature and complain) or removed them completely.

If you can upgrade the microwave to one that includes a convection option, that's the way I would go and ditch the propane oven (you would still need/use a propane 2 or 3 burner stove top though. My oven was part of a stove top/oven combo).

Bama Ed

I use mine sometimes, cookies ( from the dough roll, biscuits, sometimes stuffed peppers. Lol. It works, as others said, not really good on temp control. But that can be fixed by adding a pizza stone in the bottom, it will help regulate the temps. As to the why, cookies are good , especially fresh baked. And if its raining out it gives you a reason to own it. Its good at keeping food warm at rallies, when cooking for a lot of people. Tbh, this longer trip i will take the air fryer. I will see how it does.

Ok, so maybe my question is how do you fit stuff in the fridge that you'd put in the oven?
Carefully? :worship:

We have a residential side by side, but the freezer is narrow. We still manage to get frozen pizzas and way too much other stuff.

j

I do have the larger 18 cubic norcold. The freezer is deep enough for a frozen pizza without issue and keeps it frozen just fine. I love this big fridge! it allows us to easily take enough food for a family of 4 to eat for 8-10 days.

We user ours occasionally, mostly at holidays or if we are bringing something to a potluck. If it's just the 2 of us, it rarely gets used. We ended up getting a neat little combination air fryer, convection oven, etc. that we use most often.

We have a fifth wheel and use ours sometimes. We have a convection microwave and use it most of the time. Some pizza's won't fit in the microwave so we have to use the oven for those. As far as the fridge, we have a larger RV fridge (not residential) and the freezer has plenty of room for just about anything we would take on a 10 day camping trip.

We do tend to use the grill more than anything. We have a small gas grill (not one of the fancy ones) that we use. We use the stove top a lot too.

I have the smaller fridge in my TT. Much bigger then the one in the pop up. And when packed corectly can fit food for at least a week if not longer. Last disney trip was like 17 days, we only ate out a handfull of times and never ran out of food. Freeze stuff and defrost as the trip goes on. Just dont think your going to make a 30 lb turkey! They have enough room, you may just need to ajust some cooking habits.

I have the smaller fridge in my TT. Much bigger then the one in the pop up. And when packed corectly can fit food for at least a week if not longer. Last disney trip was like 17 days, we only ate out a handfull of times and never ran out of food. Freeze stuff and defrost as the trip goes on. Just dont think your going to make a 30 lb turkey! They have enough room, you may just need to ajust some cooking habits.

speaking of turkey..we have to take one along to thaw out on the trip home, we get home 2 days before Thanksgiving

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter