Do you unpack your suitcase and use the drawers, closet, etc? with poll

Do you unpack and use the closet and drawers?

• Yes, we unpack our suitcases and use the drawers and closet

Votes: 494 69.3%
  • No we do not unpack, we live out of our suitcase

Votes: 89 12.5%
  • We don't use drawers, only use the closet for some items, the rest stays in the luggage

Votes: 116 16.3%
  • We don't use the closet, but we use the drawers.

Votes: 14 2.0%

• Total voters
I unpack simply because I don’t like living out of a suitcase. It feels like I’m still traveling rather than having arrived at a destination.

I have to admit, though, that I’m confused by the comments suggesting that keeping your clothes in a suitcase makes it easier to pack back up at the end of a trip. I just put all of my dirty clothes in a laundry bag each night and at the end of the stay I put the bag in my suitcase. Literally takes me five seconds to pack my clothes at trip’s end.

Yeah I am a bit confused too. Is the dirty laundry staying in the suitcase the whole time? I am assuming it doesn't. So then by leaving everything in the suitcase aren't you just slowly unpacking your suitcase a day at a time as you wear things and then re-packing it all back up dirty at then end, versus unpacking it all in the beginning and re-packing it all back up dirty at the end?

In my case, my wife likes to use the drawers and keep a laundry bag, not to mention she tends to overpack. All of her laundry inevitably ends up in my suitcase at the end of the trip, because of her being a shopaholic when it comes to souvenirs for our nieces and nephews. This has prompted me to organize my laundry in the recent years, just to fit double. Trying to stuff all of the laundry and Disney bags full of loot into suitcases in prior years has led to many a quarrel, LOL.

On top of that, we're always skating the thin line weight wise at airline check-in on the way back, which is always fun.

In my case, my wife likes to use the drawers and keep a laundry bag, not to mention she tends to overpack. All of her laundry inevitably ends up in my suitcase at the end of the trip, because of her being a shopaholic when it comes to souvenirs for our nieces and nephews. This has prompted me to organize my laundry in the recent years, just to fit double. Trying to stuff all of the laundry and Disney bags full of loot into suitcases in prior years has led to many a quarrel, LOL.

On top of that, we're always skating the thin line weight wise at airline check-in on the way back, which is always fun.

We wash our clothes before we leave and then repack everything :scared: Sounds tedious, but when we get home all we have to do is put everything away! Makes life a lot easier.

I press my outfits and hang them in the closet.
I pack the socks, etc..in water-resistant cubes and place the cubes inside the drawers (after wiping them down with Clorox wipes).
I use a top drawer to store my watch, purse, knick-knacks and magic bands when not in use.
Yes! Housekeeping loves me because nothing is ever placed on the surfaces. I put all my toiletries away when I leave the room in the morning.
No! I have not been diagnosed with OCD yet! :love2:

I pack anything getting hung up in dress bags, and hang them in the closet. The folded clothes stay in the large ziploc bags in the drawers. We do this just in case of bed bugs.

We use packing cubes, but we still unpack everything and most of our suitcases fit inside each other, and then we stick them by the head of the bed and use it as a nightstand. This way, we do not have to bother with them until we pack up, because we really dislike having the suitcases out during our trip. We also bring a couple of closet organizers as well to help with the lack of drawer space and we have a laundry bag for the dirty clothes. No way DW or I will spend any of our vacation time doing laundry.

I always just live out of my suitcase. In hotels/rentals, I just have a thing about putting my clothes in drawers not knowing who used them and for what before I was there. Although, if I would clean them out, I would probably use them. But that's not the only reason, if I'm visiting family and staying in a spare room where I know it's clean, I still live out of the suitcase. While using drawers would be easy, I find it just as easy to leave it all in the suitcase.

If I'm traveling when its cold, I do hang my jacket/hoodie up in the closet.

If we are staying 3 days or less somewhere, then I tend to live out of the suitcase. Anything longer than that (and we never do WDW for less than a week due to the distance to travel) we always unpack and organize our clothes for easier mornings with the kiddo. That said, I do inspect the drawers for any crud or critters, and lysol/clorox wipe them if they look dusty or gamey.

I voted for only using the closet, we hang up most of our shirts (adults) and leave everything else in our suitcases. We do use the drawers, but only for dirty clothes. I tend to do this everywhere, not just at Disney.

I am shocked to see so many use the drawers! I will be honest to say I never unpack because I am worried about bedbugs. We keep our suitcases zipped, off the beds, and dont leave any clothes laying around. It does complicate things and waste time but I am too petrified of bedbugs.

I am shocked to see so many use the drawers! I will be honest to say I never unpack because I am worried about bedbugs. We keep our suitcases zipped, off the beds, and
dont leave any clothes laying around. It does complicate things and waste time but I am too petrified of bedbugs.
You do realize that if they are in the room, none of those things are going to prevent you from bringing them home. Unless you only go in your room naked, your clothes are still in contact with them.

I am shocked to see so many use the drawers! I will be honest to say I never unpack because I am worried about bedbugs. We keep our suitcases zipped, off the beds, and dont leave any clothes laying around. It does complicate things and waste time but I am too petrified of bedbugs.
I am very aware/paranoid of bedbugs and I use the drawers. We throughly check our room before we unpack. Even so, there are no guarantees. Bedbugs can hitchhike home with you, no matter how vigilant you think you are at a hotel. The key is to be careful bringing items back into your home. We unpack, shake out, vacuum out our luggage before we bring it in the house and packing cubes/clothing go immediately into the drier on high heat.

I much prefer unpacking. I never used to, but during my first solo trip my room was ready super early and I wasn't quite yet ready to head to the parks yet, so I unpacked. Ever since then I always do. DH never does and has no desire to. It drives me crazy because I would much rather he unpack and we hide his suitcase, but I guess it leave more room for my stuff lol.

You do realize that if they are in the room, none of those things are going to prevent you from bringing them home. Unless you only go in your room naked, your clothes are still in contact with them.

I would imagine the odds of a live one getting into your home to infest your bed, etc, would increase with the more bedbugs you possibly bring home. So I always equate clothing in the drawers to increasing the odds of bedbugs having a place to hide. I don't keep clothing or suitcases on the bed or under the bed for this reason. When I stayed at the GF last April, someone had them in their room. I heard the person talking in Gasparilla's. I saw the bedbug dog on property. But even prior to that, I check any hotel I go to before I bring my items in. For me, I just feel it's a bigger gamble to take to use drawers (especially under the bed). I wish I wasn't put off by it because it would make my trip much easier not having to go in and out of my luggage so much. This thread has been an eye opener for me. I am relieved to hear people do this and clearly taking home bed bugs happens little in comparison to the amount of people unpacking daily.

I am very aware/paranoid of bedbugs and I use the drawers. We throughly check our room before we unpack. Even so, there are no guarantees. Bedbugs can hitchhike home with you, no matter how vigilant you think you are at a hotel. The key is to be careful bringing items back into your home. We unpack, shake out, vacuum out our luggage before we bring it in the house and packing cubes/clothing go immediately into the drier on high heat.

I don't have packing cubes but WILL be getting them before our next trip for sure. Can most of them actually go into a hot dryer too?

If I stay for more then 2 nights I unpack. I prefer to hang up my shirts and pants. I use the drawers as well. I really don't like living out of a suitcase.

All our clean clothes are in big ziploc bags (one full outfit per bag) so I don’t mind placing them in the drawers and in the morning no fighting with the kids on what clothes to wear, they simply pick a ziploc that includes everything they need for the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter