• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Do you tip the Schwan man?

cdrn1

<font color=royalblue>what I wouldn't give to have
I have just started using the Schwan delivery service and I'm not sure if I am supposed to tip or not. The people that I polled at work said they don't, but my sis says she and all her friends do. I don't want to stiff him, but the food is pretty pricey and I don't want to pay more if it's not a tipped job. What do you folks do?

I have ordered maybe 2 times from the Schwans man and never tipped before....now I am wondering if I ripped him off!!!!! I see him in the summer and he is very friendly to us and doesn't act upset.

I would tip him to leave us alone! I have said nicely, that we just don't have the freezer space, and I will call him, but to no avail!!!!!!!!

meandtheguys2 said:
I would tip him to leave us alone! I have said nicely, that we just don't have the freezer space, and I will call him, but to no avail!!!!!!!!

:rotfl2:
I know what you mean... they definitely get commission. I've never tipped them.

I don't currently have the Schwanns man coming to our house, but I use to and I never even thought of tipping him. This is his job and I'm pretty sure they make pretty OK money. I have never thought of it as a tippable job -but what do I know??

DH drove for Schwan's many (like 16) years ago. He was not tipped, and the drivers made 10% commission. I don't know if that has changed since then.

No, you don't tip them, they are paid pretty well and it is against company policy for them to accept tips.

Dan Murphy said:
What is a Schwan man??? :confused3

Schwan's is a home food delivery company, among other things. They specialize in ice cream but have a grocery store selection of other food on their route trucks. It is a privately owned Minnesota company that started out with one guy and a truck and has grown into a multi-billion dollar company. One of America's rags to riches stories, really.

Anyway, they have these yellow trucks and they bring food right to your door. It is a wonderful service and most of their food is great. Their ice cream is outstanding!

I don't tip him, but the one we used to have had some smokin' hot legs.

I wouldn't tip the Schwann's man, I feel that would be along the lines of tipping UPS or FEDEX. I may get flammed for this, but I just am so tired of how out of control tipping has gotten. There are tip jars popping up everywhere it seems. I can understand tipping for folks who get paid under minimum wage who rely on tips for their livelihood, but so many others are expecting tips these days, I just think it is insane. But my tipping vent aside, a tip is a gratuity, if you feel the man's service deserves a tip I would say tip him, but personally, I feel it is his job, he is getting paid decently for it, therefore, (in my opinion), no tip is necessary.

Why bother? it's a different guy every week.

We don't tip our schwans man

but at Christmas time we do get him a card with a little something

of course we do that because he is a great guy who provides excellant service
we have had schwans guys in the past that we did not do this for

It is still Shwans in the US?
It changed to GoodLife foods up here in Alberta. Still the same stuff though, ice cream, frozen foods. They have the best chicken breasts. And great ice cream. And we love those Push-ems, the malt chocolate flavor-mmmmmmmm.
Good food, worth the price.

No, I don't tip the Schwan's man. I know he is a salesman but he is very pushy. I really only need to order like once a month and he still comes around every two weeks. Sometimes when I ignore the doorbell he will stop by later in the day. He is a pain sometimes!!

Albertan mom said:
It is still Shwans in the US?
It changed to GoodLife foods up here in Alberta. Still the same stuff though, ice cream, frozen foods. They have the best chicken breasts. And great ice cream. And we love those Push-ems, the malt chocolate flavor-mmmmmmmm.
Good food, worth the price.

Yes, it is still Schwan's. Marvin Schwan is the man that started the company so that is where the name comes from. I guess I didn't know that they operated under a different name in Canada. I wonder if they sold off the Canadian portion of the company to someone else.

tiggerlover said:
I wouldn't tip the Schwann's man, I feel that would be along the lines of tipping UPS or FEDEX. I may get flammed for this, but I just am so tired of how out of control tipping has gotten. There are tip jars popping up everywhere it seems. I can understand tipping for folks who get paid under minimum wage who rely on tips for their livelihood, but so many others are expecting tips these days, I just think it is insane. But my tipping vent aside, a tip is a gratuity, if you feel the man's service deserves a tip I would say tip him, but personally, I feel it is his job, he is getting paid decently for it, therefore, (in my opinion), no tip is necessary.

ITA..now you got me thinking :rolleyes: do I have to tip the post man? :rotfl:

The Schwan's route men make in the $50,000 range give or take some for cost of living adjustments through out the country. They do not need, nor are they suppose to take, tips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter