Do you think it’s rude?

Yea its def pretty rude. I get that it's kids but idk I paid more money than the kids did to be on this vacation lol. I'm not going to go out of my way to say anything to the parent who does it because then you're seen as a monster who values herself over a strangers kid. I'm currently preggo now so I'll have to try to work out a kid way in a few years to have my children see the show.

This is a tough one for me. I always thought it was rude, but I had also never taken a child to Disney. We were there in November and only ran into this problem once, while watching a Frozen holiday wish. We were crammed in like sardines and even though my husband was holding my daughter, she couldn't see and was whining about it. After a few minutes, the whining turned to crying so my husband lifted her up to his shoulders. I instantly said no that's rude! He said what are you talking about, there are bunch of people doing it (which there was) and would I rather have her throwing a fit in this crowd? I didn't really know what to say, so she stayed on his shoulders. Of course, that ruined it for me because then all I could think about was if the people behind were pissed, which they probably were. How happy would they have been if she was throwing a tantrum though? It was way too packed to try and push the stroller through the crowd to get out at that point. I don't know! Just my thoughts!

Wasn't such a big issue before projections were part of the castle show. I agree with the above poster that I don't think most people are intentionally doing it. My husband started to put our 3 year old on his shoulder one time during wishes and I started yelling at him about blocking- he hadn't even considered about blocking the view, and he is one who grumbles about people being clueless. Needles to say, he hasn't done it in years since!

Honestly, I am think I am more annoyed by cell phone recording of the fireworks at night. Really? Do people go home and re-watch fireworks show on their phones? If I want to watch it, I find one of the professional recording on youtube!

Cell phone recording is probably so they can Brag on bragbook (Facebook). People like to brag on bragbook all the time. Lol

Super rude. Three other acceptable options.
1. Move to the back of the crowd
2. Show up early enough to get a spot in front
3. Hold your kid up to your head level. It burns after about 5 minutes, but at least you aren't cutting others off.

Anything else implies to everybody else that you and your kid are more important than they are.

This is a tough one for me. I always thought it was rude, but I had also never taken a child to Disney. We were there in November and only ran into this problem once, while watching a Frozen holiday wish. We were crammed in like sardines and even though my husband was holding my daughter, she couldn't see and was whining about it. After a few minutes, the whining turned to crying so my husband lifted her up to his shoulders. I instantly said no that's rude! He said what are you talking about, there are bunch of people doing it (which there was) and would I rather have her throwing a fit in this crowd? I didn't really know what to say, so she stayed on his shoulders. Of course, that ruined it for me because then all I could think about was if the people behind were pissed, which they probably were. How happy would they have been if she was throwing a tantrum though? It was way too packed to try and push the stroller through the crowd to get out at that point. I don't know! Just my thoughts!
There are a lot of things I see differently now that I have a child! I thought about that when pp said it was rude but added she is currently pregnant. Was wondering if she’d change her mind. It’s not that my child is more important than anyone, but with the example you gave, I don’t know what else I would have done. If I were obviously blocking someone’s view I would try to move.

There are a lot of things I see differently now that I have a child! I thought about that when pp said it was rude but added she is currently pregnant. Was wondering if she’d change her mind. It’s not that my child is more important than anyone, but with the example you gave, I don’t know what else I would have done. If I were obviously blocking someone’s view I would try to move.

Anytime my child is a disturbance to others, I remove her from the situation but there was no way that we would have been able to get through that crowd at that point. I think people would have also been irritated with us if we were shoving our way through the crowd with a screaming 4yo while they're trying to watch the show, so damned if you do and damned if you don't!

How do you feel about it when people put children on their shoulders for shows? I’m just wondering what other parents think and why this seems to happen. I have three kids and have never done that as a curtousy to everyone who would like to enjoy the show as much as I do. Always just held them on my hips so they’re at normal eye level like everyone else. Is it just me who feels it’s unnessesary for kids to be two feet higher than everyone else?

Yes, rude, end of story. Only exception would be if you are at the way back and not blocking anyone’s view.

Yes, rude, end of story. Only exception would be if you are at the way back and not blocking anyone’s view.

My husband has done this with our DGD when she was little. He is tall so he can usually see over most people's heads, but my DGD was a tiny peanut. (SHe still is!) Anyway, he sometimes stood behind the crowd and lifter her to his shoulders. No one behind him to disturb, and the little one could see.

I don't like it when folks hoist little one up in front of me, but I don't get upset. I do get upset when grown ups toss adults on their shoulders.. How rude is that????

Definitely rude! It's telling everyone behind them that their kids view is more important than yours. Same with school performances. If I stand then no one behind me can see. It's just being considerate of others around to not hold someone up to block their view.

I do think it is rude, and we didn't do it unless at the back of the crowd. However, when the parent is 5'4" and the kid is 36" tall...I don't see how that blocks your view anymore than a 6' guy standing in front of you. Is it rude for tall people to stand somewhere other than the back of the crowd?

You know what would be awesome, is if everyone sat down and nobody stood. Then everyone, including the little ones, get a clear view of the stage/street

I understand the rationale behind that, but logistically, it wouldn't work for many reasons. People take up more physical space sitting than they do standing and it's crowded as it is. It's also a safety hazard if there were any emergency and people needed to leave quickly. Plus just the madhouse rush that always occurs right after the fireworks are over could leave people getting trampled. There are also many people that can get up and down from the ground so easily.

I do think it is rude, and we didn't do it unless at the back of the crowd. However, when the parent is 5'4" and the kid is 36" tall...I don't see how that blocks your view anymore than a 6' guy standing in front of you. Is it rude for tall people to stand somewhere other than the back of the crowd?
I agree. Here’s how I see it. Most likely a person would only do this b/c their kid can’t see. And if you are behind them, you presumably got there after them. I am 5’3. I often can’t see b/c the person in front of me is taller than me. So if you want a good spot where no one will be blocking your view, get there earlier or book a dessert party or something. It doesn’t matter to me if the person is 5’10 or 5’10 with a kid on his shoulders, I still can’t see.

Depends.
We do it when walking, and sometimes for parades/shows. We don’t like waiting to be in the front so we go to the back and do this.

Last time we did it we showed up 5 minutes before the parade and stood behind the crowd. Frankly for my family that’s better then either getting there 2 hours early or pushing to the front because I feel like she deserves to be in the front even if we didn’t wait.

Yeah. Love the people with big iPads filming the shows. Lol. So annoying and there never going to watch it

My sentiments exactly. A shoulder kid directly in front of me doesn’t bother me in the least but an iPad in my face is another story. And as you said, they will NEVER watch that video when they go home. A previous poster mentioned people putting adults on their shoulders. A couple of times I’ve seen what appeared to be guys hoisting their girlfriends up to get a better view. Not just at WDW. That’s different than a little kid and completely unnecessary.

I'll tell you what the difference is in your scenario -
If we are there to watch the fireworks/parade, we are not going to deliberately stand behind tall people because, being petite, we know I can't see.
We'll get behind shorter people. But, if people, at the last moment, hoist a child on their shoulders, you have NO way to plan for that. Does that make the situation clearer? Of course, taller people have the same rights as anyone, but they don't suddenly 'grow' when the fireworks start!

LOL as a parent I do this every time. It is hard enough for an adult to move to a better viewing spot but when you have child it is impossible. I find I am usually near other parents doing the same thing. For me it's about my child's enjoyment, if you are sans kids and unobstructed viewing angles are a must then book one of the many special viewing opportunities Disney offers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter