Do you let Disney take your luggage from the Airport to Resort?

AngieInOH

DIS Veteran
We'll be utilizing Magical Express and was wondering if anyone doesn't use the service of Disney taking their bags from the airport to the Resort. I'm going back and forth on whether I want to use it. I'm pretty sure the last time we went I didn't use it and it worked out well going straight to our room AND having all of our luggage. This trip we're landing at 10:30 am so a room might not be available, having the luggage might be more of a pain than a benefit.

We always let DME handle the checked luggage. We also arrive in the 10:30 to 11:00 am range, and our room is never ready when we arrive at our resort, so it’s most convenient to have the luggage delivered to the room. You don’t need to be there when it arrives and no gratuity is expected for this service. If you take your own bags and check them with bell services until you get into your room, you should expect to tip the bellperson who makes that delivery. We frequently check our carry-on bags upon arrival so we can go to lunch and possibly a park until our oom is ready.

We usually have a change of clothes in our carry on and sunscreen. We let Disney take our checked luggage and drop off our carry ons at the hotel. One time we got our luggage around 10 PM which was a bit late for us, but otherwise this has always been the best part of DME for us.

We'll be utilizing Magical Express and was wondering if anyone doesn't use the service of Disney taking their bags from the airport to the Resort. I'm going back and forth on whether I want to use it. I'm pretty sure the last time we went I didn't use it and it worked out well going straight to our room AND having all of our luggage. This trip we're landing at 10:30 am so a room might not be available, having the luggage might be more of a pain than a benefit.

I used to feel like you (I've been using DME since 4 days after they began in 2005). I was just so afraid things wouldn't go right. After 5-6 years I decided to try it, and since then, in about 8 trips, they've only let me down once. Turns out my luggage was delivered to the wrong room. And it kind of made sense-I'd changed rooms when I checked in, and they delivered my luggage to the room I'd originally been assigned to, which was empty.

Depends what time I am arriving. Before 6 PM, I will let DME get it and bring it to the resort. After, I grab it myself. I have had several times it is delivered quite late after phone calls (like 11:30 PM or later) even after arriving at the resort between 6-7 PM. I may even start pushing my cut off a little earlier. Willing to give one more shot on letting DME get it in the evening hours.

I usually only take a carryon, but did use it once without incident. Mistakes do sometimes happen, luggage gets temporarily misplaced. My last stay at Pop I came back from a day at the parks to find someone else's luggage in my room (same last name, different first name!) It's not really much of a problem to take it on ME yourself; if your room is not ready you would leave it with bell services.

To me letting them handle the luggage is the best part of Magical Express! I mean, you trust the airlines to move your bags thousands of miles, why not trust Disney to move it a few?

I should add, no matter what, I always pack a carry on and have 1 change of clothes in it. Just in case the airline misdirects my bags.

To me letting them handle the luggage is the best part of Magical Express! I mean, you trust the airlines to move your bags thousands of miles, why not trust Disney to move it a few?

I should add, no matter what, I always pack a carry on and have 1 change of clothes in it. Just in case the airline misdirects my bags.
Same here .We have arrived in the late morning so we pack shorts and change in the restroom at our hotel if the room isn't available. Then leave carry-on bags at bell services & go off to lunch

Absolutely.. the less hassle I have the better and I figure if it’s fate for my luggage to go MIA it will go..

I do ensure we all have well packed carryons with change of clothes ( couple for the littles) swimsuits etc everything we would need if it goes astray fir a day or two

We have done it on all 3 trips and only once did the luggage actually make it to our room without me having to go to guest services to hunt it down.

The first time it was delivered to the wrong room. I’m not sure what happened the last time time, but the luggage was delivered within minutes of me notifying guest services.

I would still use the service again if we ever get to go back. The issues weren’t bad enough to ditch it. We still got our luggage.

ETA...just to clarify, both times the luggage wasn’t in our rooms, it was after coming back late from the parks, probably 8 hours or more after our planes landed, so it wasn’t a time issue.

I've used DME many, many times since it started. I've had two instances where it didn't go as planned. One was when I changed my resort reservation, they should have had the info, but didn't. Our bag finally got to our correct resort room about 8 hrs after resort arrival. Second time the bag was delivered to the room next to mine! Other than that, it has been fine. I usually pack a change of clothes and any toiletries I might need in a carry on bag.

Yep. That's one of the top 3 reasons we stay on site and the #1 reason we fly into MCO vs other airports. I go so far as to purposely plan trips that fall within the luggage delivery hours. I have absolutely no need for my bags for hours (a day) after landing so there's no reason whatsoever for me to waste my time getting my bags.

I've used DME 3 times, and only once was the luggage delivery less than stellar. We had landed after 7 and by 1130 the bags still weren't there. So I had them held until the morning. We went in with that plan anyway.

I'm still baffled/impressed by the first time I used it where my luggage beat me to my room...

I've used DME 3 times, and only once was the luggage delivery less than stellar. We had landed after 7 and by 1130 the bags still weren't there. So I had them held until the morning. We went in with that plan anyway.

I'm still baffled/impressed by the first time I used it where my luggage beat me to my room...
It's possible your airline put your bags on an earlier flight. Not probable or anything, just possible. They can do it, especially if you check in pretty early. I know when we use RAC there are several instances of our bags being there when we arrive. We find out when our bags don't come in and we go to the luggage office and they've already got our bags in there. This can only be because our bags came in on an earlier flight.
Some may see that as a security risk, their putting bags on a flight without the matching passenger but it's not as long as the passenger doesn't know it's been done. Passengers just can't ask for their bags to go on a different flight. That is a potential red flag.
Anyway, that would be one reason for the bags to beat you there. If you went straight to the resort of course. If you delayed getting to the resort then it would not be strange for them to beat you there.

It's possible your airline put your bags on an earlier flight. Not probable or anything, just possible. They can do it, especially if you check in pretty early. I know when we use RAC there are several instances of our bags being there when we arrive. We find out when our bags don't come in and we go to the luggage office and they've already got our bags in there. This can only be because our bags came in on an earlier flight.
Some may see that as a security risk, their putting bags on a flight without the matching passenger but it's not as long as the passenger doesn't know it's been done. Passengers just can't ask for their bags to go on a different flight. That is a potential red flag.
Anyway, that would be one reason for the bags to beat you there. If you went straight to the resort of course. If you delayed getting to the resort then it would not be strange for them to beat you there.

It was also probably that it was August of 2010, and by today's standards the crowd level would be like -5...

We don't. On too many non-Disney trips I have had a checked bag go on a little adventure without me. I therefore prefer to retrieve our own luggage from baggage claim and deal with the airline at the airport if there are any issues. We get a porter to help us bring it to DME, and once at our resort since our room is never ready we store our bags with Bell Services and then have them deliver them when we are able to get into our room.

SW

Unless I'm arriving late at night, I ALWAYS let Disney transport my bags. I've never had any issues, and I've used DME countless times (probably close to 20 times). MOST of the time, I arrive when there's still park time left in my day, so I'm generally only taking DME because they make me, and it DOES make sense to get rid of my carry on bag. So, I ditch the carry on bag and hop on a park bus. I don't really unpack on vacation anyway, so I have no need for my suitcase when I arrive at the hotel. I have what I need for the parks in my carry on, and my suitcase is waiting for me when I finish my day.

I'm in the same boat as you - we're going in 11 days and this will be our first time using DME (we've always rented a car before) and I'm trying to decide whether to grab our bags or not! DH wants to have Disney deliver them but I'd rather just have them in my possession and know where they are! We have had issues with missing bags on many other trips (although not at MCO) and the thought of having to deal with that once we're at our hotel hours later sounds super frustrating! We're landing about 11:30am. Are they delivered up to 3 hours after you arrive at your resort (not after you land, correct?) If we get lucky and our room is ready I'll be so annoyed that we don't have our bags! We only have 2 suitcases for the 4 of us so grabbing them is no issue (we do it every other time we fly!) and we have no issue bringing them to our room ourselves. Plus then we need to pack bathing suits, shorts, sandals for everyone in our carry-ons....seems like a lot of extra hassle when we could take 10-15 minutes to grab them ourselves!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter