Do you know anyone who identifies as asexual?

Disney1fan2002

<font color=red>Like OMG the TF is SOO psyched to
I know a young man, he is in his mid-20's. He confided in me the other day that he may be asexual. He has known for a long time that he has not felt an attraction to women or men, there is just nothing there. As a teen, he pursued girls only because he thought that was what he was supposed to do. He was OK with that realization, until he was talking to a friend who thinks it could be a hormone imbalance. He talked to me because I work in a hospital, but that is not what I do. He has no insurance, so I figured I would poke around and see if anyone has experience with something like this, before he spends money on Dr visits and testing.

Amoeba are asexual. He's just frigid. Lots of people just aren't interested in sex much. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with him. I guess he can be tested for his hormonal levels.

I have a long time friend who now identifies that way, previously, he just knew he wasn't really into sex, or romantic relationships. His life is totally normal and he has close friendships and family relations, but he is definitely not a physically affectionate person. He has had medical testing done probably 7-8 years ago - all normal; he's just not into it. He's a riot when he hears about the drama of romantic relationships though, and has always been one of the most supportive men I've know to all of his friends experiencing heartache. He's great at coming up with stuff to do to get people's mind off of it.

ETA: My friend only got his hormone levels tested because he was starting to get annoyed/concerned by people asking when he was going to "get out there," etc., etc. He thought maybe his testerone or something was low - but nope. Not for him.

Last edited:

Amoeba are asexual. He's just frigid. Lots of people just aren't interested in sex much. It doesn't mean anything is wrong with him. I guess he can be tested for his hormonal levels.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny? People most definitely can identify as asexual (also aromantic). It's not about being frigid.

OP - perhaps try posting on the "Gay and Lesbian" board? You may get more helpful posts.

I know a couple people who aren’t interested in sexual relationships with others, but I wouldn’t call them “asexual “. I also know a guy who identifies as pansexual.

I don't know any who identify as that, but a couple who I think might be. I would have him get his hormone level checked just to be on the safe side. There is nothing wrong with being Asexual. Not everyone wants a romantic partner, and that is fine.

The answers received on the DIS should have absolutely no bearing on if he goes to the doctor.

And the OP works in a hospital but has no one there or a department to go to, to ask these questions to get professional medical advice from? :confused3

There is nothing wrong with being Asexual. Not everyone wants a romantic partner, and that is fine.

And there's a difference between asexual and aromantic. You can want to date or be in a relationship but not be interested in actual sex, from what I understand. I know of one person on this situation.

I'm not sure there's a reason to have your friend's hormones checked, unless he's worried.

And the OP works in a hospital but has no one there or a department to go to, to ask these questions to get professional medical advice from? :confused3

Perhaps this country's medical system isn't as "up" on sexuality as it should be. (No shade intended.)

A friend of mine is asexual. She is in her late 50s and has never had a boyfriend (or girlfriend) and has no interest in having one. She is a doctor, so has plenty of knowledge and access to experts in the field. She is completely normal and has no issues with her sexuality (or lack thereof.)

Perhaps this country's medical system isn't as "up" on sexuality as it should be. (No shade intended.)

True. On the flip side of things, the OP can suggest to the young man that he get on a bus or train and come to NYC for the next week. I am NOT being flippant. This weekend starts off the week-long WORLD LGBTQ Pride Festival, culminating next weekend at Pier 97 at the Hudson River Park at 59th St. & the West Side Highway.

Even as an asexual, this young man will find probably many, many people who he can talk to, who experience the same thing, about if and whether they've had hormone therapy, psychological therapy, and if any of it helped. Or if he's just "normal" as is. :grouphug:

The NYPD police chief or commissioner, just in the last couple weeks, officially gave an open apology to the LGBTQ community for their narrow-minded & bigoted acts which instigated the Stonewall riot & uprising here in NYC, decades ago, at a gay bar called the Stonewall Inn. He said what the NYPD did back then was so wrong. :thumbsup2

This city is showing up, in full force to celebrate inclusivity and diversity of ALL kinds of people. THIS would be the time & place to come. I LOVE my city! :love:

This young man may find his tribe of acceptance, :grouphug: or find if he needs some therapy - and only IF he feels a need to be different than what he is.

Last edited:
True. On the flip side of things, the OP can suggest to the young man that he get on a bus or train and come to NYC for the next week. I am NOT being flippant. This weekend starts off the week-long WORLD LGBTQ Pride Festival, culminating next weekend at Pier 97 at the Hudson River Park at 59th St. & the West Side Highway.

This is such a great idea and there are Pride festivals happening all over the place! We're going to try to go tomorrow in fact in Nashville. Let him know it's LGBTIQA - the A standing for asexual and the general inclusion of those events is amazing.

This is such a great idea and there are Pride festivals happening all over the place! We're going to try to go tomorrow in fact in Nashville. Let him know it's LGBTIQA - the A standing for asexual and the general inclusion of those events is amazing.

That's great. :thumbsup2 And I think the OP, (thus the young man,) is closer to Nashville. Otherwise, this is a WORLD event. So there are probably celebrations in Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia too, as well as other big cities near the OP.

I have a friend I've known for about 18 years, he's in his late 50's and never dates anyone, though he is, as far as I can tell, straight. He's just not interested in dating and drama. His sister was divorced 3 times, so that may have something to do with it.

I have a 60 year old cousin who has never had a romantic relationship. He has never said why and no one in the family has ever inappropriately asked or cared.

A friend from college just turned 60 and as far as I know he has never had a relationship with anyone. He doesn't discuss it and I've never asked or cared. DW tried prying into his sex life about 15 years ago and I shut her down quickly.

There's also something known as "herbivore" men in places like Japan where similar situations happen, people don't date due to the stress of relationships or lack of drive, etc.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny? People most definitely can identify as asexual (also aromantic). It's not about being frigid.

OP - perhaps try posting on the "Gay and Lesbian" board? You may get more helpful posts.

Not being funny at all. An asexual organism is one that doesn't reproduce via sex. He most certainly can and would reproduce via sex if he wanted to. He just doesn't want to. And again it doesn't mean anything is wrong with him. Lots of people aren't interested in sex. Some temporary, others permanent. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!