Do you know anyone who has had Covid twice?

From the same article you linked...

The true accuracy of tests for COVID-19 is uncertain
Unfortunately, it’s not clear exactly how accurate any of these tests are. There are several reasons for this:

• We don’t have precise measures of accuracy for these tests — just some commonly quoted figures for false negatives or false positives, such as those reported above. False negative testsprovide false reassurance, and could lead to delayed treatment and relaxed restrictions despite being contagious. False positives, which are much less likely, can cause unwarranted anxiety and require people to quarantine unnecessarily.
  • How carefully a specimen is collected and stored may affect accuracy.
  • Because these tests are available by EUA, the usual rigorous testing and vetting has not yet happened, and accuracy results have not been widely published.
  • A large and growing number of laboratories and companies offer these tests, so accuracy may vary.
  • All of these tests are new because the virus is new. Without a long track record, assessments of accuracy can only be approximate.
  • We don’t have a definitive “gold standard” test with which to compare them.
This doesn't contradict me.

I make allowances for false positives which result from suspect testing. If I were to shake one of those magic 8 balls I had when I was a kid and ask if I'm infected I would get a false positive from that too and no-one would be surprised, it's all about the integrity of the test.

From the second one: "revealed there was a contamination at BioReference’s New Jersey laboratory"

From the third one:
"All of those tests were later determined to be false positives, most likely “caused by an isolated contamination during test preparation in the New Jersey laboratory.”

**Penn State one is curious, wondering if there is some kind of contamination, not sure who handles these & if there is any control.

Last one:
"The UA said in a news release Sunday that the false positives were the result of an instrumentation error. The student-athletes were retested at the behest of Dr. Stephen Paul, Arizona Athletics’ director of medical services."

Look, no-one should be out for a bad test so I agree with that, but it's not the process of testing that is the issue. Seems plain to me that, assuming these teams are using high grade brands because they deeply care about their players the answer is easy. Devote more resources to the process & have a team Dr. administer in a sterile environment to prevent contamination. If they are this messy collecting specimens they are endangering many lives and to those who prefer numbers, many many millions of dollars because if the tests are getting contaminated so too can be the players and the coaches, the staff. It's not ok but better to act with restraint than ignoring the issue.

My uncle. Nearly died from it early in the first wave, on a vent for weeks, at one point they were talking about letting him go. He pulled through finally, was released with a trach and an oxygen tank, and his wife immediately took him to an indoor restaurant! They didn't use a bit of caution all year, and he was reinfected in February of this year. Much milder case, but severe lasting psychiatric symptoms. And now she won't take him to the long haul clinic 15 min from their house, because it couldn't possibly be from that.

My uncle. Nearly died from it early in the first wave, on a vent for weeks, at one point they were talking about letting him go. He pulled through finally, was released with a trach and an oxygen tank, and his wife immediately took him to an indoor restaurant! They didn't use a bit of caution all year, and he was reinfected in February of this year. Much milder case, but severe lasting psychiatric symptoms. And now she won't take him to the long haul clinic 15 min from their house, because it couldn't possibly be from that.

I read that 1 in 4 people who were diagnosed with COVID go on to have cognitive issues. Scary stuff. I'm sorry about your uncle.

Good friend of ours has had Covid twice. First time was last April got it probably from grand daughter who came home from college and immediately went around visiting relatives. Grand daughter then tested positive and so did most of the family shortly after. Friend of ours had mild symptoms. Then in December got it again and it hit her much harder although was able to stay at home, so far she has not regained her sense of smell or taste. This last time she thinks she got it from her sister who was out and about and poo poo's masks. Sister also tested positive and only had mild symptoms.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter