Do You Go Topless in Front of Your Kids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilsia

DIS Veteran
I have 2 daughters and have always walked around my house naked. They could care less. When I was in HS, we had and exchange student from Spain that I became friends with. She said that it was normal for the whole family to go to the beach and all of the woman, even the teens, to be topless. I think this excessive "modesty" contributes to the over sexualizing of the body. The ridiculousness around woman's breast, especially those who are nursing, only harms woman and society. I have seen heavy men that have bigger boobs then some woman, but they are free to run around topless. Skin is skin. There are plenty of other cultures that are more evolved then ours where the men can control themselves if they see a pair of boobs.

Pink Partridge

Mouseketeer
Here in Oklahoma they recently enacted a law that makes it legal for women to walk around topless in public.
Like, could you go to your child's school topless and wait outside for them to come out at the end of the day?

I have seen men jogging and they stand outside the school all sweaty and gross. They whip their shirts off. Waiting for their kids at the end of the day to walk home. It is not a pleasant sight.

I am a prude. I certainly wouldn't want women standing outside my child's school naked from the waist up.

But both men and women should try their very best to wear shirts in public. It is just common courtesy. The pool and beach are different from other public places.

Now the home gets a bit sketchy. This was not the mother of the children. At the time she was 26. Standing in front of a teenage boy, no shirt or bra. Preaching how it is her right to do so.

If it made the boy feel uncomfortable in his home, perhaps she should rethink her methods of teaching feminism. Obviously, someone went to the mother and spoke of this incident.

• disneychrista

DIS Veteran
    My kids would walk in on me getting dressed all the time when they were younger. So YES they have seen my NAKED. No big deal IMO.

My daughter's father had a girl friend that ran around in skimpy thong bikini's which I found to be inappropriate. But not indecent, register as a sex offender inappropriate.

L&Lfan

DIS Veteran
    I feel left out since I never saw my parents nude until they were in their 80s and needed assistance. It was hard for them as they were both very modest devout Christians. My Dad however, broke the ice when he said to me in so many words, I saw enough of your *** when you were young, I guess it’s fair the tables are turned now.

• ronandannette

I gave myself this tag and I "Like" myself too!
    :blush: I'm practically puritanical so in answer to the question in the thread title: Not just no, heck no!! I don't think my DS (now 23) could remember an instance of ever having seen me naked and I haven't seen him naked since he was 7 or 8. We just don't do that sort of thing.

That said, I don't think everybody else has to feel the same and I wouldn't be ready to push the panic button in this case, on the face of it. The details that have emerged are describing a fairly weird scenario though. I think the father and step-parent were very inappropriate and the mother has an axe to grind. I can see a few different points-of-view about charges.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the actual nudity, it seems self-evident that this is a ridiculous misuse of the sex offender registry laws which are meant to give parents and community members a tool to protect themselves and their children against actual predators. Including cases like this (or public urination, or other non-sexual/non-predatory indecency cases) on the registry can only have one of two outcomes. Either it waters down the registry to the point of uselessness because it can't be taken at face value for its original purpose, or it demonizes people who made an error in judgement that was in no way predatory. Or both.
    ::yes:: I agree with this wholeheartedly!

Last edited:

kyton

Mouseketeer
    Crikey our kids are 14, 12 and 9 - they see both my husband and I naked nearly every day. Even though they all have ensuites, for some reason they all still prefer to shower in our en-suite so they quite often walk into our bathroom whilst one or both of us are dressing. My eldest who is the only girl has more privacy - ie my husband and sons won’t enter her bathroom or our bathroom if she’s in them. The boys however they are fine walking in on either of us or us walking in on them.

Whenever they decide to start using their own bathrooms we will respect their privacy. I still see my mum getting dressed - she’s 72 and I’m 49 - she’s never cared. However I have never seen my father nude at all. I don’t think my husband has seen either of his parents nude.

This step mum has sort of crossed a line but if alcohol was in play then she needs to take a long hard look at herself.

mumto3girls

DIS Veteran
    Do I go topless in front of my kids? No, at least not on purpose. I have all girls and don’t always close my door when changing clothes so they have all probably seen me topless at one time or another. I wouldn’t deliberately change in front of them, but don’t worry if it happens. If I had teenage boys I’d be more careful.

• fizbobunny

Mouseketeer
    Yep, my kids have seen me naked. When we vacation, we’ll end up changing into or out of bathing suits in the hotel room. And other times in our daily lives.

My 12 year old recently moved his tooth brush back in his own bathroom after walking into my room while I was changing. I told him it was my room and Im allowed to be naked in it.
    Recently I was fishing a shirt out the dryer while only wearing a bra when my 16 yo nephew came in the house. My mom had brought him by unannounced to see if my kids wanted to go to the park with them. My mom got a little huffy but I recommended she knock in the future before just letting herself in.

mousefan73

DIS Veteran
    Regardless of how anyone feels about the actual nudity, it seems self-evident that this is a ridiculous misuse of the sex offender registry laws which are meant to give parents and community members a tool to protect themselves and their children against actual predators. Including cases like this (or public urination, or other non-sexual/non-predatory indecency cases) on the registry can only have one of two outcomes. Either it waters down the registry to the point of uselessness because it can't be taken at face value for its original purpose, or it demonizes people who made an error in judgement that was in no way predatory. Or both.
    Agree 100% or like those poor men who were 18-19 and were having sex or babies with their 17/16 year girlfriends... parents got pissed and now they are labled as predators.

kyton

Mouseketeer
    There are locks on most bathroom doors that I've encountered. Or it might be good to teach them to knock on a closed door before entering.
    But that’s the thing - it doesn’t worry us so why would we lock a door? Everyone’s bodies are the same, I’m too old to be worried about what a stranger thinks of my body so why would I care what my kids think of it. If they want to start using their bathrooms then we don’t enter when the door is shut but our bathroom door is always open when either my husband or I are in there.

Pink Partridge

Mouseketeer
    But that’s the thing - it doesn’t worry us so why would we lock a door? Everyone’s bodies are the same, I’m too old to be worried about what a stranger thinks of my body so why would I care what my kids think of it. If they want to start using their bathrooms then we don’t enter when the door is shut but our bathroom door is always open when either my husband or I are in there.
    But that is the thing, there are some news outlets saying that one of the children was embarrassed. And that is when the 26 year old step mother refused to put on her bra and shirt. She started preaching to the boy that she can show her breasts to him. She dismissed his feelings.

Then, according to the prosecution, she started to encourage their father to show the children/ teenager his *****.

This sounds like lewd behavior to me.

At the very least, the woman forcing her bare breasts on her embarrassed step kids has mental issues.

Pink Partridge

Mouseketeer
    Here is another story where they sort of gloss over the weird step mom saying she wouldn't put her shirt on until the dad exposed himself.

I would not be comfortable with this woman having access to my children.

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
    Because learning how to respect a person's privacy is a good thing to learn. Sure, you don't have a problem with it. But what about if they have a roommate? Or a significant other who isn't as "understanding" as you and your spouse?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates