Do You Find Yourself More Happy or Sad During the Holidays?

I am a generally happy person. This Christmas there is a lot of stress from other things, lots of fear for older relatives, and just general discontent where I am at. I am trying to focus on the fun things with my children and my love for friends and family.

Happy :) September through December is my most favorite time of year and when my anxiety tends to be at its lowest.

Stressed is the overriding emotion. I want so much for the happy Christmas and no matter how much I advance plan or start early, it always seems like a race to the end. I actually enjoy the week after the most when all the work is done.

I love being happy but this year there has been added stress in my life so these past couple of months have been difficult for me to get real excited about Christmas. I am very very happy to be seeing my sons and families and will be very sad to kiss them all goodbye afterwards. I'm not fortunate like many who have their children and grandchildren close by so the time I have with them is special but limited. But I'll take it!! :santa:

I’m having a rough holiday season. My mother passed away suddenly on the day before Thanksgiving 2015 and my father died the day after Thanksgiving this year. On top of that I had to have surgery on my foot which has had me Lazy Boy bound for over a month. Both kids will be out of town. DSIL (Atlanta) is a medical resident and working, DS (Austin) is hosting his in-laws this year and his FIL is someone we just can’t stomach. We’ll go to see DS after the FIL heads back home.

My house is usually in full on Christmas by early December (I never decorate before Thanksgiving.) but this year, nada. I really need to get to it. DD and DSIL are coming 12/20-22 and they’ll expect my usual OTT decor but I’m just not feeling it.

Mostly happy this time of year, ever since I left a job I hated and started working at the school my kids attend--I get two weeks off for Christmas and I love being home with them. We don't do much most of break, but it is nice to be home hanging out with lots of food, maybe go to a movie or two, etc.

The holidays always make me feel lazy and inadequate. I never get things done on time, never do things that other families seem to manage without issue. We never get to baking cookies (so all those ingredients are wasted), shopping isn't done, presents don't get wrapped until Christmas Eve. It seems like everyone else can manage, everyone else does it better than I do. I really am at my most withdrawn during the Christmas season.

Usually I'm more sad. I grew up with my mother and my grandparents. My "real" father was not a part of my life, so Grandpa was my "dad" figure. He passed away on Christmas Eve 1998. It's hitting me very hard this year that he's been gone for 20 years now.

However, I also have a little more joy lately than I have in previous years, now that I have a 3-year-old. DH and I make an effort to do more fun, Christmas-y stuff with him. We went to the mall to see the trees; when we go to the light display, we stop to go on the rides and do the crafts, etc. He just discovered that our elf delivered a letter from Santa in his mailbox - I can't even describe the look of pure joy on his little face when he found it! Having a little one has helped me a bit :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter