Do you ever worry about this as someone with a disability

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
are you ever worried that technology we'll advance so much that you won't understand it as it is I don't understand twitter and that's were most people communicate

I do fairly well with technology, but it is a learning curve and I'm not up with all the popular social media! Some new technology is a great help for those with disabilities. I suppose it all depends on your challenges whether technology is helpful or confusing.

For the most part it is helpful and I am lucky to have dh but he 1 not every one is as lucky as I am and 2 he won't live forever nobody does

For me, technology is a great help. It lets me do all kind of things I couldn't before (like art, I'm making and selling digital pieces that I could never have done with traditional media). But... It's different for everybody. And technolongy definitely gets more confusing as you get older. My dad is nearly 90, and he did okay when he was still working and they introduced computers, but he's completely mystified by the internet, no matter how I explain it.

I feel like I'm on a privileged perch, but I don't worry about not keeping up with technology. Well, not that much, anyway.
You don't understand Twitter? That's okay. My first post on here ended up in a Zombie Thread Alert. I'm just clumsy with the social niceties of chat boards. :D

Technology makes my life much easier. No need for pad and pencil. No need to speech read. Ability to have clear communication.

No I don’t worry about technology passing me by. I’m very old (in my 70s) and disabled. But I wrote computer operating systems 50+ years ago.

I may not know everything, but I can figure out most things if i try.

I feel some sort of technology passes everyone by. I’ve never totally understood the point of Twitter. Anyways who uses Twitter these days, it’s all moved to Snapchat, but wait Snapchat is losing users, but I have no idea where they’ve going. Just find some 7 year old to help you, cause 7 is the new 12.

It is funny, but I just turned 60 and I LOVE Twitter. I do not use Snapchat or Instagram much at all. Almost never.

I have found that Twitter is what you make of it. Start by following celebrities you like, some are fairly active and very good at Twitter. Throw in local politicians, people you know (although on Twitter I really do not follow people i know). Follow upcoming movie accounts, whatever. As you use it, you will see people comment on the accounts that you are following, and if they are clever, funny, etc. then click to follow them too. There are many official and unofficial Disney accounts to follow of course. News is quick on twitter, too, so follow local and main news outlets. Even add the news hosts themselves.

I admit I follow lots of political stuff on Twitter, because I do not bring politics into my Facebook world. (I use FB only here and there anyway.)

Twitter grows for you as you add more stuff. There is so much content that everyone's is different. I follow a couple of dogs top, lol! And Bodega Cats kills me....LOL.

Like @PatMcDuck, I have heavily curated my Twitter feed. Because I am a news junkie, my Twitter feed skews toward news outlets of all types, including not just politics, but world news, tech news, and I follow a few Disney related folks as well ;)

I don't post on Twitter much - it's not required that you post to use it. I just have always liked that I can get quick "bites" of information, and (typically) by clicking or watching a video clip I can get more info if I want. If not, I go on.

I also use "Tweetbot" (a paid app) because it smooths out a lot of the annoying aspects of Twitters default experience for me. I also have it set to update across all my devices, so I can pick up any device, and my feed is always current, which I like.

I no longer have an Instagram presence; Facebook purchased Insta, and with that, we have begun to see the same invasive techniques being used by Instagram that Facebook has used. With Facebook, you are NOT their customer, you are their product. They are interested only in the data they can gather from you, including what you look at, who you associate with and message with, and how many ways they can monetize your personal data (and everyone else's) to their benefit.

Facebook is a for-profit company, and as such I expect them to monetize some aspect of their product to generate revenue. But there is a difference between serving ads that generate revenue, and selling out their users personal information and data for use by the highest bidder - for who knows what purpose. (And remember, who knows what happens to your data *after* that... Theoretically, once sold by Facebook, it goes into the wild and could be used by *anyone* *anywhere* for *anything* and you no longer have control over this data about you)

I have never had a Facebook account; neither has my husband or our daughter. We always felt like it was just a bit creepy, and never joined. As a result, we have missed out on a few things, but now we are glad that we never signed up in light of the way that Facebook handles it's user data.

That's just me. I have used Snapchat, and Pinterest and other social media platforms, and in most cases I find that they just aren't right for me. Just like soft drinks - some folks like Pepsi, some folks like Coca-Cola, and some folks are only about the Dr. Pepper. :) Don't feel like you have to use Twitter to be "with it" - if it isn't something you care for, then that's totally cool :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!