Do you ever pay full price for concierge?

hayesfamof4

Mouseketeer
So, we were going to attempt to upgrade to concierge on our April 27th cruise. There were 4 rooms left... now it's down to 1. It's a 5 night and would cost $3,000 more to upgrade. We upgraded last October on the 4 night for concierge and had a huge 1 bedroom suite. It was amazing. We paid $700 to upgrade. I am debating the upgrade now since it doesn't look like we will get a room at the port. For those who do concierge - do you do it full price or only if you can get an upgrade at the port? We are in a 4A room right now. How do you go back to that after a 1 bedroom suite? :confused3

We have upgraded and paid in full. However, on the classic ships, I don't think the difference is quite as noticeable (no lounge, sun deck, etc). I'd just try to get an upgrade at port by getting there early. Regardless, Cat 4A is still a great room.

Thank you!! I will stick with the 4A and attempt an upgrade at the port. That 3,000 would pay for another cruise this fall. :)

So, we were going to attempt to upgrade to concierge on our April 27th cruise. There were 4 rooms left... now it's down to 1. It's a 5 night and would cost $3,000 more to upgrade. We upgraded last October on the 4 night for concierge and had a huge 1 bedroom suite. It was amazing. We paid $700 to upgrade. I am debating the upgrade now since it doesn't look like we will get a room at the port. For those who do concierge - do you do it full price or only if you can get an upgrade at the port? We are in a 4A room right now. How do you go back to that after a 1 bedroom suite? :confused3

It is all about Disney's grand plan to assimilate you into its world. By having you upgrade at the port, you are much more apt to pay full freight next time around. For example, on our first stay at the Grand Floridian, we were upgraded to a concierge building for no cost whatsoever. Well, next time we went to Disney, my wife said we HAD TO stay in a concierge room if we stayed at the Grand Floridian. Thanks, Disney. Please take even more of my money. Disney cruises are based on the same thought. If you get a concierge cabin for a nominal port upgrade charge, you might be more tempted to book one on the front end next time. At least that is what I think is going on. Although, I admit frustration must set in if you do pay a full fare and then discover multiple people were able to upgrade for that same nominal charge.

Not really advice, just comments, I guess.

DWF

disneywonderfun said:
It is all about Disney's grand plan to assimilate you into its world. By having you upgrade at the port, you are much more apt to pay full freight next time around. For example, on our first stay at the Grand Floridian, we were upgraded to a concierge building for no cost whatsoever. Well, next time we went to Disney, my wife said we HAD TO stay in a concierge room if we stayed at the Grand Floridian. Thanks, Disney. Please take even more of my money. Disney cruises are based on the same thought. If you get a concierge cabin for a nominal port upgrade charge, you might be more tempted to book one on the front end next time. At least that is what I think is going on. Although, I admit frustration must set in if you do pay a full fare and then discover multiple people were able to upgrade for that same nominal charge.

Not really advice, just comments, I guess.

DWF

ITA. I think this is why the majority (not all) of VGT bookings get Cat 4s, or even how on some cruises, inside folks got ocean view or even verandah rooms. I too am in that camp - verandah cabin ONLY (albeit I would take a Cat 8A on deck 5 of the new ships).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We've done it both ways on the Dream, last year sailing in October there were a # of cabins open so we rolled the dice & upgraded at the port ($680). When we booked our January 2nd cruise while on board in October, there were no concierge cabins available, we booked a 4A & waitlisted for concierge which we got at full price. We've already booked New Years Eve this year at full price. We're looking to upgrade at the port in October, if we sail, there are quite a few cabins open, at this time. Full disclosure: our Concierge cabins were the standard cabin not a 1 bedroom, so the difference betweeen a 4A & concierge was nowhere close to $3,000 :scared1: which made it more a bit easier on the wallet. :worship:

I think your strategy of trying for an upgrade at port might pay off.

disneywonderfun said:
Although, I admit frustration must set in if you do pay a full fare and then discover multiple people were able to upgrade for that same nominal charge.

I see the price difference as the cheaper port upgrade also losing the privilege of the 120-day booking window advantage. Yes, you are still put at the top of the wait list for sold out things (like a CC cabana), but if no one cancels...

When we upgraded to concierge in October, we got a cabana (apparently concierge holds some back from what I was told). I ended up with a cabana this time (for our April cruise) but we're going to cross our fingers for an upgrade. If not, it's no biggie, since we won't even drink nearly $3,000 in alcohol to justify paying full price for the upgrade now. We cruise twice a year so if this lucks out, usually we can get the upgrade in the fall :yay:

I'm sure this is the plan with upgrades....and once you've done concierge, you don't want to go back.

True that on the cruise, you lose the 120 day window if you upgrade at the port....but the onboard concierge will get you whatever he/he can.

I see the price difference as the cheaper port upgrade also losing the privilege of the 120-day booking window advantage. Yes, you are still put at the top of the wait list for sold out things (like a CC cabana), but if no one cancels...

Do you lose all your booking activities *like the cabana* if you upgrade at the port??

That's an amazing price to upgrade to concierge. Last time we upgraded from an inside 11B to a verandah cat 4 we paid $500. Overpriced, and only about a 25% discount from what I'd been tracking but we did it anyway.

Do you lose all your booking activities *like the cabana* if you upgrade at the port??

I think what the PP was saying is that you may save money by upgrading to concierge at the port but you do not get the perks that you would have gotten had you paid full price. If you book concierge to begin with you get the benefit of booking excursions/cabanas/dining at 120 days out if you upgrade at the port you didn't get that benefit. You do not lose anything that you already booked you just didn't get all the perks of paying full price for concierge.

I think what the PP was saying is that you may save money by upgrading to concierge at the port but you do not get the perks that you would have gotten had you paid full price. If you book concierge to begin with you get the benefit of booking excursions/cabanas/dining at 120 days out if you upgrade at the port you didn't get that benefit. You do not lose anything that you already booked you just didn't get all the perks of paying full price for concierge.

Got it! Thank you!

Yes. I have. But I need a two bedroom suite OR two connecting rooms. So I can't wait for a port upgrade. Wish I could but I am the sucker who always pays full price. Has to be one off us, right? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter