Do you bring a camera?

DisneyMama811

🇨🇦 Disney Dreamin'
just wondering what the general consensus is if people still bring cameras or do you just use your phone? I have a Google Pixel 6 Pro which supposedly has an excellent camera so I'm not sure if I should invest in a separate digital camera or if I'll regret it if I don't

I still bring both on occasion, but I no longer use a full size SLR. Currently I have a Canon G7X MKII, which I can fit into my pocket along with my iPhone. So I try to keep as nimble as possible but do like the extra manual control ability etc. of having a camera in addition to my phone.

For us, the quality of the cameras on the newest phones is amazing, and we don't bother with a separate camera any longer. But I expect many people still feel more comfortable with the additional features of a good quality digital camera.

With how good cell phone cameras have gotten, I haven't really bothered bringing my camera lately.
I just spent two weeks in France and only used my good camera once, in Sainte Chapelle.

It depends a lot on what you plan to do with those pictures and perhaps how often you go to Disney. If you only want postage stamp sized snap shots to post online somewhere, the typical smartphone will be fine for that and a lot smaller to carry around all day. SLR type cameras will yield better quality/resolution if you plan to print poster size photos of your vacation. If this is a once in a life-time Disney trip compared to your annual visits, also makes a difference in how you might value those photos.

Despite the glitzy Apple TV ads, there isn't any smartphone camera that will suddenly make you a professional photographer if you have limited picture taking experience. Photography is mostly about setting/composition/lighting and those are things you learn with experience. How much time do you want to take away from your park time scouting out those 'perfect' photo opportunities?

I wouldn't recommend buying a new camera shortly before your Disney trip and then trying to figure out how to get the best results during your vacation. At least with digital cameras you can simply delete the bad pictures and don't have the added expense associated with film/developing/printing.

It depends a lot on what you plan to do with those pictures and perhaps how often you go to Disney. If you only want postage stamp sized snap shots to post online somewhere, the typical smartphone will be fine for that and a lot smaller to carry around all day. SLR type cameras will yield better quality/resolution if you plan to print poster size photos of your vacation. If this is a once in a life-time Disney trip compared to your annual visits, also makes a difference in how you might value those photos.
I don't agree with the first part we always get real pictures developed from our smartphone pictures and the quality it extremely good. Is is as good as a real digital camera no but good enough that
I wouldn't consider buying a real camera.

I suppose the model of the smartphone makes a difference, we have had google pixel phones for a long time and have recently switched to Iphone so we'll see how that goes.

I don't agree with the first part we always get real pictures developed from our smartphone pictures and the quality it extremely good. Is is as good as a real digital camera no but good enough that
I wouldn't consider buying a real camera.

I suppose the model of the smartphone makes a difference, we have had google pixel phones for a long time and have recently switched to Iphone so we'll see how that goes.
i also disagree with the first part, "postage stamp sized" is an extreme exaggeration, I get 4x6 photos printed all the time from my phone and they're fine...not portrait studio quality but good enough

I always travel with a camera. My smartphone takes good photos, but I am a serious photography hobbyist and I can do things with one of my DSLRs that I just have fun with that.

My pictures are just for memory so I use my phone. We have several cameras that take very good pictures but they're just another item to carry and our focus is to enjoy ourselves versus worrying about pictures.

I was happy to finally stop lugging my camera around, for the vast majority of the pictures I take my phone does an outstanding job and the weight/bulk savings is great!

We use our iPhones these days and the pictures are perfectly fine for us. We did used to bring a camera (can’t really remember the last time we did! :confused:), but are happy not to anymore.

If you have to ask, the phone is probably just fine, and I don't mean that in a mean way you just have to know what you want kver the phone to get the most out of a dedicated camera.

I have an iPhone 13 Pro which has one of the best cameras out there. My digital cameras are in a drawer somewhere and will probably never see the light of day again.

Fine with my cell phone camera, bringing a regular camera is just one more thing to carry around. We leave all the pro photos to the PhotoPass photographers.

We bring our real camera when we're going somewhere "special" and then forget to take it out half the time. Our phone cameras are so good that, unless we're trying to blow up a print to 16x20, there's plenty of resolution on the phone pics.

If you're talking about buying a real camera, I wouldn't. If mine broke tomorrow, I don't know that I'd bother replacing it. But, since we already have it, it comes along and we occasionally remember to pull it out for important pictures.

I have always brought it a camera and my phone, but I find my phone is at the ready all the time and I end up just using my phone. My next trip I will leave the camera home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter