Do we want to do the Yachtsman?

sukhakuli

<font color=darkorchid>I guess I'm funny like that
I'm a bit stuck with what to do with the last remaining credits we have.

We have a split stay.

First leg from Nov 22-27 I have booked:
CP breakfast
Sci Fi dinner
Brown Derby Fantasmic package
San Angel Inn dinner

I think that uses all my credits for that section.

Second section, from Nov 27-Dec 5 I have booked:

California Grill for 2 (date night, I think we're paying OOP just to make this all easier)
Akershus breakfast
Coral Reef dinner
Hoop Dee Doo
Ohana dinner

So I should have 3 credits left, if we pay OOP for CG. We are planning on a dinner at Tony's one night, so that leaves us 2. We have nothing planned for the day of the MVMCP, or the day dh and I are going on our date night (we'll be at AK), or our last full day at the park (We'll be at Epcot). We are all steak people, and love a good steak, but now I'm waffling about using 2 credits for it.

I'm debating about booking Le Chef de France for the Epcot day, and maybe Liberty Tree for the MVMCP? Or another Monorail resort restaurant? Any thoughts? Should we do Yachtsman and pay OOP for another meal or 2?

We were not impressed with Yachtsman. The food was average and certainly not worth 2 credits. If you want a good signature dining experience, try Flying Fish.

We actually like Yachtsman more than CG or Flying Fish. Steaks are large enough to share easily. I would use 2 credits and oop for some salads or soup.

agree that Yachtsman did not impress - we had their signature steaks and blah...have had better steak at Outback many times (and we don't actually think Outback is all that good, either.) Would go for Flying Fish (on the Boardwalk) or Citrico's (Grand Floridian)

Let me start by saying I LOVE steak. For me the Yachtsman has the best steak at all of the steak houses. We usually do 2 dinners at Yachtsman and a lunch at LeCeliers. Shulas is really good too and has a better selection of cuts but is much more expensive. It all comes down to the cut and the way its cooked.

We had terrible service and meh steaks at Yachtsman. Do NOT go later in the evening if you decide to go. Our ADR was an hour before their posted closing time, but because we were the last of the night, they rushed us through, and were closing up all around us and the few other later groups (lights off everywhere but the section where we all were, turning up chairs, running the vacuum). The kitchen was closed and dark not 5 minutes after they brought our steaks. We didn't dare to order dessert! :lmao:

The bread was good, the rest, not so much.

ETA: You mentioned you're dining at Tony's earlier in the trip. I honestly enjoyed Tony's NY strip more than the one I had at Yachtsman. I'm sure the one at Yachtsman was better quality (prime? or close to it?), and maybe I'm just not a fan of dry-aged meat, but Tony's strip was very flavorful and tender enough for my liking. Not that I would recommend Tony's as the best steakhouse on property or anything (far from it!), but just as a point of comparison. Best steakhouse is probably Shula's. But in your situation, I would not pay OOP for some other TS meal to save that credit for Yachtsman.

I think Yachtsman is one of the top 3 signatures, and I've been to all of them recently. I will say the steaks there are not our favorite Disney dishes ever, but the onion rolls with garlic, the appetizers, other entrees, desserts and service have been wonderful.

I'm gonna watch this thread. I have a dinner booked there while we are at F&W. I saw a few tips on here that having a beautiful dinner is well worth the $$, rather than paying for a big event where you stand at cocktail tables and get nibbles to eat. Same amount of money, not nearly the experience you would want.

I love the cheap ($10) seminars being offered and think we'll do a couple of those rather than spring for the super expensive events. Still going to see how this thread pans out. I've never eaten there but Mister has, and he says it is fantastic.

Is the Flying Fish mostly seafood? I don't eat any fish or seafood, and dh only likes it OK. He grew up fishing and hunting for his meat, so he's particular about only liking trout that he caught straight out of the river. He'll eat other fish or seafood, but it's not something he really loves. We both prefer steak, and my oldest dd loves steak as well.

Thanks for the tip about Tony's! We're mostly going because the kids and dh all love pasta and I needed a place to eat at MK. You don't hear much about it, I hope it's good!

I'm leaning towards skipping it, but I already had to give up CRT (no tables), and it was somewhere I wanted to go. But I could book Le Chefs AND Yak and Yeti for one Yachtsman meal, and we're a bit short on meals on the second half of the trip...

If you choose the Yachtsman avoid the NY Strip - was really tough when I had it last fall - the filet is the safest bet.

Yachtsmans is one of only 2 restaurants in all of WDW we will not return to.
We have tried it 3 times and we just didn't like the food. The steak was not good. The atmsosphere is great, the service was wonderful, the onion rolls were terific but our entrees were not good.

You will always find differing opinions here. I think sometimes it's the luck of the draw, but we LOVED Yachtsman and have eaten there several times and never been disappointed. I agree that Flying Fish is also excellent. IMO, you can't go wrong with whatever you decide. Have fun! :goodvibes

How about Sanaa? Its mostly Indian food, which its really great if you just give it a try. They don't do anything overly spicy (hot) unless you request it, and I think its a good place to try Indian food for the first time because of that fact. They are catering to the masses, so its not overy authentic, but still good.

I'm saying this from what I've heard from others on these boards. My reservations are for October!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter