Do upgrades chap your hide?

GoofItUp

DIS Veteran
In reading through some of the threads here about upgrades, I get the impression that some Dis-ers get a little peeved that someone would ask for an upgrade -- whether the person is willing to pay for it or not. Does it bother you that people might ask for an upgrade at check-in? Does it bother you if they receive one?

As for me, I have no problem with a person asking. It will be available or not (and most likely it's the not part of that) and the person may or may not be asked to pay for it. If asked to pay, it may or may not be at a reduced rate. I figure if someone gets upgraded in any of these circumstances, good for them! That's a little bit of magic during their trip. I don't think people generally ask for upgrades *expecting* to get one, it's just a nice perk if it happens. And for those who say "I worked so hard to pay for mine...why should someone else get it for free?" I would say that you booked and paid for it because it was important to you and you didn't want to chance not getting it. Those with upgrades know that they most likely are going to be where they booked, with a slim chance of getting something more, and they're ok with that.

So....what does anyone else think?

What bothers me is people expecting it - and instead of a little bit of "magic" at check-in for the guest and the CM, there are so many guests who arrive (booking a standard room instead of savannah, expecting an upgrade, etc.) instead of just paying for the room they want. I never ask for an upgrade, I just don't feel comfortable doing it - and I expect the CM's get asked a lot now.

I have been upgraded numerous times over the years. And I do mention when we have a legitimate birthday/anniversary when staying anywhere - Disney or not, in case of an upgrade, etc. But I won't mention it at the front desk either, just ahead of time.

I've never worked in the hotel industry, but are there really that many people that EXPECT a free upgrade? I have trouble believing it....anyone who works in resorts that can enlighten us? I'm thinking most people either don't ask or ask, but with no expectations. I think the demanding, expecting crowd is less than what people make it out to be.

Anyone with experience that can tell us?

It just seems a little tacky to me to ask for a free upgrade. Now we did get one once out of all our trips. Because it was so unexpected it truly felt magical. We were upgraded from Poly gv to Poly MK view. I always book what I'm comfortable with. I've had (and paid for) Mk views at Poly and GF, garden views at Poly and GF, and we always get a waterview at YC. If we ever get upgraded again I'm sure it will be just as magical because its so unexpected!

I guess the way I look at it, is that I have as much of a chance as anyone else of getting an upgrade regardless of what I am paying for. I paid what I was willing to pay, and if I get more than that, I am thrilled. If someone else gets more than what he paid for, it does not impact me in the slightest!

I guess the way I look at it, is that I have as much of a chance as anyone else of getting an upgrade regardless of what I am paying for. I paid what I was willing to pay, and if I get more than that, I am thrilled. If someone else gets more than what he paid for, it does not impact me in the slightest!

Well said. That is what I was thinking. The only upgrade I got at CBR was when we did a Magical Gathering and had 3 rooms. They could not get 3 rooms together with standard view, but gave us an upgrade with no extra cost for 3 rooms with a pool view.

Does it make me angry that some ask for free upgrades? Not in the least.

Would I ever ask for one? No way.

You know, I'll be honest -- doesn't matter to me what anyone else gets as long as I get what I paid for. After traveling from the West Coast (and it's a very long day!) I am thankful to arrive safely and just want a room, any room...to lay my weary head at the end of the day!

I could care less. My mil is one that will ask for anything and everything for free or at a reduced rate and good for her if she gets it. I, for one, don't because we book what we want. If the 'powers that be' want to bestow an upgrade on me and my family than WOOHOO for us, it'll be a little bit of extra pixie dust sprinkled on our trip. If we get the room we booked than WOOHOO, we have started our vacation and are about to have a wonderful time.

I wouldn't be comfortable asking for a free upgrade.
That said, I couldn't care less if someone else does, as long as I get what I'm paying for.

When I ask I never say "do you have any free upgrades" I say "are there any upgrades available " and the response has been "yes we can upgrade you to lagoon view for $$ a night" and I will than determine if I think its worth the amount quoted, it usually less than the going rates if you had booked thru CRO. I did get an upgrade to savannah view on my last trip and I didn't ask for, it was a busy time at the front desk so I didn't bother.

It doesn't bother me if people ask.

I'd never ask for one though.

When we checked into CBR last year we were given an upgrade to a preferred location. It sure made my day.

I have no problems with people asking for one. People expecting an upgrade is a different story... If I asked for an upgrade, I think I'd ask how much it cost.

I don't ask because I figure I am never that lucky. I remember going to the Dixie Landings back in Dec. of 95, when the crowd levels were low. It was just me and my husband at the time, before kids, and asked for a King room. She said I would have pay an extra 40.00 per night. I didn't realize at the time that it was an upgrade. I've never asked again for anything I haven't paid for after that. I don't get mad at people who ask and even get one, I say good for them. Wow. Sure wish it would have happend to me.

I've never worked in the hotel industry, but are there really that many people that EXPECT a free upgrade? I have trouble believing it....anyone who works in resorts that can enlighten us? I'm thinking most people either don't ask or ask, but with no expectations. I think the demanding, expecting crowd is less than what people make it out to be.

Anyone with experience that can tell us?

GoofItUp, I agree with you. I believe it's a rare person who goes to WDW EXPECTING a free upgrade.

There are people who get angry when someone gets a free upgrade, especially to concierge. Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least, in fact I feel happy for them. And then it gives me hope that maybe someday I'll be one of the lucky ones.

I've never been upgraded to concierge, but we did receive free surprise upgrades to pool views at AKL and BC. I didn't ask for them.

I'd be uncomfortable asking for a free upgrade, but to the OP, it doesn't hurt to try. Ask if there are any upgrades available, and if they give you a price, and you say it's too expensive, you never know they may give it to you for free.

Thanks for the post Goof It Up! I did read that comment you referred to in your post, about the person getting mad about free upgrades. As I stated in mine, when we checked in at CR, I asked if there were any MK view rooms available. We had booked a bay lake view, and at the last minute, I thought dd (3) would like to see the castle from our room. I was more than willing, and fully expected, to pay the difference. When the person at the desk surprised us with an upgrade to concierge, we were extremely appreciative, and most humbled. We have been to the World a dozen times in the last 9 years, and have never been upgraded. I would never expect to be, but if it happens to myself or anyone else, how magical for them!!! If I could afford to pay for concierge everytime I went, then I would. I am just grateful I can afford to pay for CR. So yeah, I think there are people who "expect it" and I think that's kind of selfish and greedy. But if it's offered, again, good for them!!!

I don't think there's a problem asking for an upgrade, or getting one whether it's requested or not.

My only problem is with people who come back from trips whining because they didn't get one.

Anne

I don't think is is wrong to ask for an upgrade either. But, like Anne said, it is the whining that gets me.

A while back we were at POR and booked a standard room because at the time they had no king beds. When we checked in, I asked if they had any king beds available. The CM checked with her manager and came back and said yes they did and that we can have it. I then asked how much more we owned and she said it was complimentary. We were very surprised. I know it is more and was ready to pay it. I did make a point to go over to the manager and tell her thank you and how much we appreciated it. She then said to me that not many people say thanks when things like that happen and that we made her day. I let her know she also made our day!!

I did make a point to go over to the manager and tell her thank you and how much we appreciated it. She then said to me that not many people say thanks when things like that happen and that we made her day. I let her know she also made our day!!

A definite win-win situation! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter