Do they go up or lay flat?!

TN Traveler

DIS Veteran
Ok, I have a question... A couple years ago my CMC told me that you always lay your completed albums flat on a table, bookcase or whatever. It was ok to stack other albums on top of each other. Then I had someone else tell me No, you can stand them up (like books in a library). So now I have 3 or 4 completed albums and of course I want them to be safe and well protected but not sure if they go flat or stand up. What's the correct way? :confused3

Karen aka TN Traveler

i heard...like a book in a book case. (so that would be stand up, right?) i think w/all those 3-d type things that people add onto it, you'd want to stand them up? but then again, my very first book i did...it's very "flat"...not much fancy embellishments...basically just pix & stickers & such...so i figured that book can be laying down...

i'm sure others would have better idea than me!! :flower:

rsjj said:
i heard...like a book in a book case. (so that would be stand up, right?) i think w/all those 3-d type things that people add onto it, you'd want to stand them up? but then again, my very first book i did...it's very "flat"...not much fancy embellishments...basically just pix & stickers & such...so i figured that book can be laying down...

i'm sure others would have better idea than me!! :flower:

Yep, standing them up straight like in a library is the right way to store your albums :)

You should always store or display upright like a book in library because moisture in the air will lay on a flat surface in the pages and cause wet spots.Thats why most good books have a cover slightly larger then the pages as moisture builds it runs down the pages and into the gap between the pages and shelf.Now you can't see this but it is happening .

I found this on CreativeMemories.com and it's all about album storage :)

Q. How should I store my albums?
A. Albums should be stored upright and are best stored where you live – in about 77 degrees Fahrenheit (25 degrees Celsius) or less with relative humidity of 20 to 50 percent. Keep them away from light, excess humidity and temperature extremes, such as those that occur in an attic or basement. If you live in a high-humidity area, you may want to consider using a dehumidifier.

Q. What happens if I stack my albums?
A. Creative Memories does not recommend stacking albums. Storing your albums vertically allows the weight of the album to be evenly distributed over the entire spine and binding system, thereby removing pressure from the album pages. Stacking albums horizontally can damage your albums by placing pressure on the album cover and pages. The added pressure on the pages may lead to abrasions on your photographs or memorabilia, and possible denting of the cover.

Q. What happens to albums not stored at recommended temperatures and humidity levels?
A. Albums deteriorate more rapidly and become vulnerable to fungal growth if the relative humidity of the room in which they’re stored is above the recommended level of 50 percent. If the relative humidity is below 20 percent, albums and photographs may become brittle. Creative Memories does not recommend storing albums in attics or basements because the temperature and humidity levels are more likely to fall outside the recommended storage conditions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter