Do teachers check their work email over breaks?

tmarquez

DIS Veteran
DD goes to a year round school and her first break is now and coming back on
10/10.

She will be missing school on Friday 10/14 and Monday 10/17. I wanted to let her teacher know in advance, but I wasn't sure when to email him.

So do I email him before we get back from our break or wait until the Monday we come back? It's 3rd grade, if it matters.

Thanks!

Do notify the teacher(s) in advance.

It would be a good idea to follow up the email with a phone call just to be sure.

I don't know where you live, but at the school I work at, if you want a chance to have the absences excused you have to notify the Principal in advance (in writing) of the absence and get makeup work before you go, from the teacher. Only the principal can excuse an absence that isn't listed as an "excused absence" in the Code of Student Conduct (sickness, Dr. appt. etc).

No, I do not check my email over breaks.

You're child is missing only two days of school? No biggie at all.....two days is nothing in my book. Let the teacher know as soon as the class returns from break. He can't do anything with that info now anyway, while he and the class are out of session.

Have a great trip!

Just from my experience in my district...yes, many will check their email and even respond. Many 'work' on their breaks even though it is unpaid time. However, many will not...it is their vacation/break. So don't get too upset if you do not get a response.

I say 'they' cuz I work in a school but am a counselor. When I email teachers in my school over the summer- sometimes I get a response back THAT DAY and sometimes they do not see it.

Almost every summer I get parents who are upset with me because I do not respond to them immediately :headache:

I would call the school- there may be an administrator who can help you. And send the email because the earlier the teacher sees it the better.

1st grade teacher here - I do check my e-mail over breaks. I would suggest e-mailing the teacher and more importantly call the school and leave a message regarding the absence. You do want it to be excused vs. unexcused. Enjoy your time away!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter