Do schools in your area have Thanksgiving week off?

Brancaneve

That means Snow White in another language.
I am curious about how the impact of teacher furloughs will affect crowds the week of Thanksgiving. I am a teacher in a district that put the furlough days on the Monday and Tuesday prior to Thanksgiving weekend. On the boards I have read that several other districts have done the same for the past few years, resulting in large crowds prior to turkey day. However, my district took furloughs away and increased our health benefits, thereby reinstating class in session the week of Thanksgiving. Has your district done the same?

The second part to this story is that our union begged the district to give us the whole week off because we simply loved it tooo much. They simply tacked on those two days at the end of the school year. So, I will be in the parks Sunday evening through Wednesday and hoping that it will be less crowded than in "furlough" years.

Thank you disers as always for answering my questions!! You're the best! ::yes::

we're in the Denver 'burbs, but yes our schools have Thanksgiving week off. My daughter is just in Montessori, but their school follows the school district it lies in.

My kids' schools have always had off the days before Thanksgiving. I don't know anyone whose kids are in school Thanksgiving week - except apparently Elk Grove. lol

Yes, DS's school district has the whole week off.

When we lived in Vegas, they always got the week of Halloween off.

Redondo Beach here, and yes, our schools are out that entire week, plus both weeks of Christmas and New Year's. It has nothing to do with furlough, just the normal school year schedule.

Schools in our district have had Thanksgiving week off for the last 7 or so years. Started out Thanksgiving & Friday, then added Wednesday, then went to full week.

Lots of northern California districts, including my kids', give the whole week off and have done so for many years.
A little googling shows that Orange County and San Diego school districts give the whole week off, but it doesn't look like the Los Angeles or Anaheim districts do.

I can tell you from experience, it will be a busy time at Disneyland. With regard to crowds, I compare it to the two spring break weeks surrounding Easter. I don't think school furloughs have been that much of an impact really on the Thanksgiving crowds. What will be the game-changer this year is the new DCA and Carsland. Frankly, I would go in expecting it to the busiest Thanksgiving week yet. If you follow tips on this board though and go with a good attitude, it's still possible to have a great time.

I'm in Central California--my wife, a teacher in one school district has Wed-Fri off; my son in another district has the whole week off.

Some school districts in our area have the whole week off, my daughter's school just has Thursday and Friday. (We're in Oregon)

Lots of northern California districts, including my kids', give the whole week off and have done so for many years.
A little googling shows that Orange County and San Diego school districts give the whole week off, but it doesn't look like the Los Angeles or Anaheim districts do.

I can tell you from experience, it will be a busy time at Disneyland. With regard to crowds, I compare it to the two spring break weeks surrounding Easter. I don't think school furloughs have been that much of an impact really on the Thanksgiving crowds. What will be the game-changer this year is the new DCA and Carsland. Frankly, I would go in expecting it to the busiest Thanksgiving week yet. If you follow tips on this board though and go with a good attitude, it's still possible to have a great time.

We will be in the parks Mon, Tues, and Wed before Thanksgiving. Actually flying home Thanksgiving. We know it will be busy, but have been at Disney World at Christmas and mid summer. We will just get in as early as possible, plan what we want to see, use FastPass and have fun! Our DS is doing the college program at Disneyland and we haven't seen him since August so that will be wonderful as well. We got a reservation for a nice meal at Carthaway Circle (I think that is the correct spelling) just a week or so ago. Can't wait!

We are in the Beaverton, Oregon school district. We have W-F off.

Portland, Or schools are off the whole week.

We are in San Antonio, Tx and the kids have all week off.

Sandi; sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks for the responses. Looks hit and miss but the general consensus is that it will be busy the days prior to Thanksgiving. Ok....should I plan to hit dca early Monday morning? Perhaps the earlier in the week the better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter