Do Not Die Today: Southern California, 2022 (COMPLETE 2/23)

Captain_Oblivious

DIS Dad #257, Galactic Salad Dodger
Chapter 1: Come Out to the Coast, We’ll Get Together, Have a Few Laughs

AL9nZEUL2FPK9rX_n8xB2239Ln9heQvge53HUnJhLtbVAt19nvaxBcUXY6QAatIUusAYlUjhTYH7qILWuUx7UKOooj0RGhcRJPsxxgvF2EaqJn545trXCmg0U2jdPZNrJWBL5at8QmGcseze7EdO6OVAAc_-6Q=w1565-h880-no

Greetings and welcome to yet another Captain_Oblivious trip report. My name is Mark, I live in Delaware, and over the last several years I’ve been chronicling my family’s attempt to visit all 50 states in the U.S. (with occasional breaks for Disney parks). If you’ve read one of my trip reports before, then you pretty much know the drill. There will be lots of digressions just to set up terrible jokes. There will be obscure movie references. And there will be plenty of photos of scenery and family members who are far better-looking than I am (see above photo). If you haven’t read one of my trip reports before, then…where have you been? And what are you doing here?

No, seriously--please respond. It's a lot more fun and a lot less embarrassing when you're writing a trip report if people actually respond. Don't ask me how I know.

We’ve now entered a new phase in terms of our family vacations. It’s the station of life where our kids have now become or are becoming adults with their own priorities, schedules, and lives that are now separate from our own. I believe the technical term for this is the “Holy crap, I’m old!” stage.

We finished our family’s 50-state quest in 2021, just after my oldest, Sarah, had started attending college in Philadelphia. Naturally, we weren’t just going to stop traveling after that, but we needed to come up with some new ideas for travel destinations. (You might say we needed a new gimmick.) In an ideal world, we would have loved to start traveling overseas now that we had seen much of what our own country has to offer.

But have you looked out the window lately? We don’t live in an ideal world. My son, David, was just graduating from high school this past June, which meant we would now have two kids in college. My wife, Julie, and I fall into that large middle-class bracket that is both too rich to get any meaningful financial aid but too poor to actually be able to afford college payments. We filled out all the required financial aid forms and said, "Please give us some help. Your school is ridiculously expensive, and we don't have any extra money lying around." And the schools came back by saying, "Nonsense. Look at all this cash you're wasting every month on something called a 'mortgage'. Request denied."

So that rules out international travel for the time being. Especially with another son, Scott, set to hit college in a couple of years.

To make a long story short, we decided to give David one last hurrah in summer 2022 by tailoring a trip around many of the things he loves: National Parks, the outdoors, Disney Parks, and sports. With those interests in mind, we looked over the map of our travels to see if we could combine those items with some areas that we had either not explored or passed through in a hurry. One idea led to another, and we ended up planning a trip to Southern California.

We had briefly visited Southern California back in 2014, while we were touring the American Southwest. At that time, our youngest, Andrew, was a toddler just a few months old, and we were busy exploring natural landmarks such as the Grand Canyon. But a wonderful DISboard friend, Alison (@franandaj), had arranged for some pixie dust for us and so we added a couple of days in California to our itinerary for the express purpose of taking the kids to Disneyland.

It was totally worth it. 10/10, would recommend.

But we’d definitely left some meat on the bone as far as exploring Los Angeles, San Diego, and the rest of the region. Could we find enough to do there in order to justify a full vacation? In short: yes, yes we could.

Remember what I said about our kid having their own schedules, though? The logistics were going to be the hard part.

One of the things that attracted Sarah to her current school is the fact that they incorporate a co-op (or internship) period as part of their curriculum. So for 6 months during their junior year, they get to work and gain actual job experience in their field of study. Job experience in college? Awesome, right? But in order to accomplish this, the school is on a quarters system instead of the usual fall and spring semesters. They’re still trying to squeeze the same number of classes into 4 years in order to be able to complete a college degree in that time. So that means that sophomores spend the entire year taking classes—including during the summer between their sophomore and junior years. This just so happens to have been where Sarah was in her educational timeline.

That meant she had exactly one week of summer vacation this year: from June 11 to June 18.

Great, that makes planning easy. We’ll just take our vacation then.

Ha! As if life would ever make anything convenient for us. My wife, Julie, is a 4th grade teacher. Her last day of class was scheduled to be June 15 (this was also to be Scott and Andrew’s last day of school). She was also required to be in school the next two days in order to finalize grades, set up class lists for the next year, and pack up her classroom. Apparently the school frowns upon teachers taking days off while kids are in school for some reason.

Less understandable is the way they frown upon teachers taking off for those “pack up the classroom” days. I mean, why do they give teachers “personal days” if they’re not allowed to use them? And why is the principal happy to take multiple vacations during the school year? I hate people.

Sorry, I’m digressing already. Don’t worry, I just hate other people. Not you.

I’m the trip planner for our family. By the time we take off on a vacation, I will have almost every minute of the itinerary nailed down. I’ll book the flights, the rental car, the hotels, pay for admission to the attractions, and I’ll almost always know exactly where we are having our meals (and will have made reservations), will have booked necessary tours, and will usually even know where we can stock up on snacks for the car and re-fuel the rental car.

But this was a logistics dilemma I hadn’t faced before. If we went on vacation when Sarah was available, then Julie would miss out. If we waited for Julie to be available, then Sarah wouldn’t get to travel at all this year.

In the end, we figured out a compromise that worked as well as we could hope for…if a bit complicated. I would fly out on Wednesday, June 15 with the big kids. I’d get the rental car and stock up on our food supplies for the road trip over the next couple days, and then somehow we would entertain ourselves until Julie and Andrew flew out on the evening of June 16. I would then pick them up from the airport and we would have a great 2 days of fun together as a family before I took Sarah back to the airport on Sunday the 19th so she could get back to Philadelphia to start classes again while the rest of us continued on the adventure. This plan was deemed acceptable by Julie as long as we didn’t do anything on the 15th or 16th that she deemed “fun” or “enjoyable” and would make her feel like she missed out on something.

Got all that? The itinerary for this one basically looked like Russell Crowe’s shed in A Beautiful Mind.

7f1ba985c3b283753764dce18f17f452.jpg

The things you do for family.

What would we do first? Well…this, my friends, is what is known as a tease. I hope you'll join in and read along!

Coming Up Next: Find out what we did first! We’ll try and answer the age-old question: How do I have fun in California, but not too much fun so I don't have to sleep on the couch? I've never tried to plan a mediocre vacation day before.

Looking forward to reading more. Do you have a trip report or blog for the 50 states? What was your criteria for calling the state completed? Must spend a week, a night, pass through, etc.?

Looking forward to reading more. Do you have a trip report or blog for the 50 states? What was your criteria for calling the state completed? Must spend a week, a night, pass through, etc.?
I'm interested in this, too! We have been going back and forth about doing all 50 states, but we can't agree on the criteria.

I'm also excited for this trip report!

Woo hoo! A new trip, I am so excited to follow along! As a teacher, I get the frustration of not being able to use personal days and "time off" in the summers which ends up not being that convenient. As my girls get older, we are going to struggle more and more to plan a trip!

Yay for a new TR! Back to comment in depth!
:welcome:Alison! Glad this was easy for you to find. :thumbsup2
Excited to follow along! We visited DL/Southern California in April..loved it!
:welcome:Glad you're back for more!

(spoiler--we had a great time too)
Woo Hoo! I've been watching the boards and waiting for you to start the new trip report!
:welcome:Lisa! I'm glad you're here.
:welcome:Thanks for reading!

I chronicled most of our previous road trips and visits to the various states in the trip reports linked below in my signature. There are a few here and there we picked up along the way while visiting family, etc. but most of them are here if you're really bored for your enjoyment.

Our only rule for claiming a state was that your feet had to physically touch the soil in each state. There was no set time limit. Our feeling was that it's hard enough schlepping 4 kids all over the country. If we crossed the border and touched the ground in, say, Iowa, then you couldn't say we hadn't been to Iowa. The "feet touching the soil" rule was mostly there to rule out airport layovers, which sort of felt like cheating.

But there are definitely a few states that got very brief "visits". Like, less than 5 minutes.
I am here. Will come back and read later.
:welcome:aboard! Hopefully the good stuff is still to come.

I'm interested in this, too! We have been going back and forth about doing all 50 states, but we can't agree on the criteria.

I'm also excited for this trip report!
:welcome:aboard! As I mentioned above, my past TR's are all linked below in my signature. The criteria was simply "feet must touch the soil" in order to rule out airport layovers.

Woo hoo! A new trip, I am so excited to follow along! As a teacher, I get the frustration of not being able to use personal days and "time off" in the summers which ends up not being that convenient. As my girls get older, we are going to struggle more and more to plan a trip!
:welcome:Yeah, I really wish we could travel during shoulder season. Give that summer vacation has shrunk so much from when I was a kid, I almost feel like we should go to year-round school at this point with breaks built in during the calendar year. It would be nice not to have to cram it into summer every year.

The question we hear often in our house is, "why do they give you personal days if you're not allowed to use them?"
Here!
Excited for this trip report
:welcome:Glad you're here!

I’m in! I feel like I just stumbled on a new book by a favorite author :)

I am here! And the line about hating people could have been written by my husband! No wonder the two of you get along!!

I have just finished reading the (majority) of your TRs and am pleased there is now a new one starting!
Your family seem great and you are a hilarious and captivating writer.

I can't wait to read more. It won't be long before we will be in the position. I have a 10th and 11th grader.

I am here! And the line about hating people could have been written by my husband! No wonder the two of you get along!!
:welcome:Magdalene! Glad you joined in. And I was unaware your husband hated anyone! Does he ever really stuff like that? :rotfl2:
I have just finished reading the (majority) of your TRs and am pleased there is now a new one starting!
Your family seem great and you are a hilarious and captivating writer.
:welcome:Thanks for joining in! And for the huge compliments, I really appreciate that!

I can't wait to read more. It won't be long before we will be in the position. I have a 10th and 11th grader.
:welcome:That went way faster than you thought it would, didn't it? I can barely remember my kids as babies/toddlers. It feels like yesterday and forever ago.

Holy crap!!! A new Captain Oblivious TR! And for the first time in like 5 years, I made it here before page 10!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter