Do Not Die Today: Southern California, 2022 (COMPLETE 2/23)

I'm glad I made the decision to skip the Channel Islands! I really wanted to do it and I know it would have been beautiful, but that boat ride? I can barely do the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and that's a much shorter ride. Thank goodness for the Oblivious Family Adventures so I can live vicariously through you!

Did not know that. Figured it was a daily Oblivious Family staple.
I think we all get sick of them over the road trips so it takes a year to recover and develop a taste for them again.

I will! Hang on... just wait here. I'll get right back to you.
(drumming fingers on table)

I disagree. There are several:

1668951095239.png

Cross in about an hour.

1668950707635.png

Cross it in about 20 minutes.

1668950885790.png

Cross it in under 3 minutes.
If I had the budget for these options...I would totally take them to get across the plains. Worth every penny.

Almost exactly 40. First one was probably somewhere around January of '82.
Sounds like you're due for another one!

See? Totally underrated.

The other three islands are mocked incessantly by the other five and have developed complexes.
They're playing the same position I did in Little League. Left out.

I'd agree with that. I mean... they're not made national parks because they're uninteresting.
Almost always the case. We found one or two exceptions over the years. But even then, they're probably interesting to somebody.

That Marina reminded me of this:
1668952288486.png

(opening scene from Gilligan's Island)
This one would also have been acceptable:

wpid-aofajaws-1.jpg

And considering your description of your tour (which, I'm guessing, felt much longer than 3 hours), seems apropos.
Oh my goodness, yes. We felt every minute of that ride.

Has any movie nailed a creature so perfectly as this? I vote no.

::yes::

Unless you arrive in bare feet or flip flops... then it might be cause for concern.
Eh, I'm sure it's just a minor inconvenience.

Ugh...
Had a similar thing happen (although, I suspect not as bad) in Hawaii. Managed to not be sick, but the 10 (or so) year old beside me did not fare as well.
Like I mentioned earlier, I've been completely seasick a couple of times...and I never want to feel that way again. It's the absolute worst.

Thanks for the tip. Need to look into that for future reference.
We took it way back when we did a Disney Cruise, and then again on the boat tours in Alaska. It's always been a lifesaver for us. They make chewable tablets and we usually take one the morning of the tour. You can take one the day before as well to fortify your system.

Which immediately made me think of the people immediately below him on deck one.
I hope he had good aim!

Yeah... That had crossed my mind as well.
I was dreading it the whole day. Tried not to think about it.

Sounds like fun. :)
Love kayaking.
Did you notice if there were any people on the boat transporting any over? Otherwise... wonder how they get there. I'm thinking a 45-minute powered boat ride means a distance too far to safely kayak over.
Yes, they did! That seemed to be a good part of the tour company's business--transporting campers to and fro for their adventures. They'd strap several kayaks to the back of the boat for transport.

Wow, that's pretty.
A serious national park oversight.
French fries do tend to make everything better.

:goodvibes

I called it an Oblivious Family staple. I stand by my description.
For road trips, at least.

I knew you would remark on me eating the bottle if I hadn't added the clarification.

Just tell yourselves that you're wiser and more able to appreciate the finer details.

Just keep telling yourselves that.
We tell ourselves a lot of things, but we're too old to remember what we said.

I see the theme too. All animals have three letters. Fox, Jay... I'm sure if there were bears, they'd be called b'er.
:laughing: That's got to be it! I think you cracked the code.

If you can't count on your kids, who can you count on???

Everybody else.
:sad2: Why did we have kids again?

Not cool, Mark!

sheesh
Hey, my chapters tend to be overly long-winded. Gotta check to see if you're awake.

PB&J ::yes::

See? Paying attention.

Actually, all that looked really good. No drooling Homer, though.
Nice work. :thumbsup2

It was pretty tasty. I think it was probably hurt in comparison to some of the other BBQ I've had around the country--like, some of best in the world in Texas, Kansas City or the Carolinas. But we had no complaints. Alison wouldn't steer us wrong.

There it is! There it is!
Now I'm thinking of that ice cream jingle. Did they have that commercial in Canada? It was a spoof of this song.

Yeah. Mostly desert, innit?
And orange groves, if I recall. Not much to see there.

I'm glad I made the decision to skip the Channel Islands! I really wanted to do it and I know it would have been beautiful, but that boat ride? I can barely do the ferry to the Statue of Liberty and that's a much shorter ride. Thank goodness for the Oblivious Family Adventures so I can live vicariously through you!
That was a tough one, for sure! I'm glad to say I've been there, but it is checked off the list for good now.

Alarm sounds like Whoop Whoop may be my new favorite thing.
I know, right? We were trying to piece together the chain of events that would have led to that note being placed on the emergency signs in the hotel.

The rest of us could either appreciate or make fun of the art as we saw fit.

Therefore, the Captain_Oblivious Law of Art is as follows: if it looks like something I could do, it’s not art.

She talked about the different styles as we went through the rooms, how this period was characterized by dramatic use of light and so on. I don’t know how much I absorbed as we walked, but I really appreciated her enthusiasm, as well as the fact that she was clearly paying attention in the classes we’re paying outrageous sums of money for. I guess it’s a good lesson that anything can be interesting when you’re with someone who has knowledge and enthusiasm about the subject.
When it is your kid and they're that passionate and interested in something... well, you're going to be interested and happy to listen. Without fail. I'm glad you were able to go there with her. And hopefully the brothers were able to enjoy it as well.
There has to be a story there. There was a high fence covered in netting surrounding the basin that seemed specifically designed to keep people and debris out. So in order to get not one, not two, but three rental bikes in there you would really need to be determined. I hope the end goal was worth the effort. Like, a gang that had been using rental bicycles to menace the citizens of Santa Monica was finally defeated here.
I think that's kind of a thing... They have these scooters in Indianapolis that are the same type of deal where you can rent them with a credit card or something and then just leave them wherever when you're done. It has apparently become a thing that people throw them into the canal? :confused3
A guy up on deck 2 was not so lucky.
If you're on deck 1, that is never a sound you want to hear coming from deck 2... :eek:
We got seated right away at the BBQ joint and immediately asked for their vegan menu.
That boat trip really did mess with you, didn't it?
Sorry, just seeing if you are paying attention. When you hike five miles and survive the open ocean, Vacation Rules state that you can order as much junk food as you want. So we gorged on ribs, brisket, starchy sides and tri-tip sandwiches.
Ok, that's a relief!
Ah, yes. It sounds like whoop whoop.
As opposed to a whoop there it is.

When it is your kid and they're that passionate and interested in something... well, you're going to be interested and happy to listen. Without fail. I'm glad you were able to go there with her. And hopefully the brothers were able to enjoy it as well.
This is true except in the case of Minecraft.

I think that's kind of a thing... They have these scooters in Indianapolis that are the same type of deal where you can rent them with a credit card or something and then just leave them wherever when you're done. It has apparently become a thing that people throw them into the canal? :confused3
Yeah, I've seen them in a few cities now. Which is fine and great and all. But I'm really at a loss as to why you'd throw them in the canal.

If you're on deck 1, that is never a sound you want to hear coming from deck 2... :eek:

o9TKPN7pJiSvmGhGc0ZRxcoaQv-QCaRykkyEIL1SUtmXrNEqs0ent3sLFYKWMqpkyrU5soePMDF2r6Hdp3nQWUO2P-DKC7rtYHYfIHlPeB4iVHsipIatknnI07VC7NMTf0rBviB58ucchYmfYgdd3msjmNTJjo4kxUMxZNXs_q4Sprowh5AH-22wZpVUrstVcqSB8zlTpA-onsPPewxAsZIWz9TrF8vGOeQJtMLOY1dX-wj9pTY7x-UVHW_PSA_RnDEo1ABS43UhhHz-iN_PSn7dCdW4xIaL4ytJF-gaJ1JyN_-zHrOVE8IGn_onbrPRYPTRAXw49R9J_fYg-jg5SF1FmaucYLlbcNBsDklqEya7pe2lGiEfjP2e-R0ZpIMaZvKtZVQ-XAzBpnYAHYK1dE9LKqHu28KD9guMOH5LtpVP0Ps0wlwpDLPisF4fbtdRp4qKQ92UE03Xfpjckn8aTPnFryQKeCUE1mUgAzxWtzjVY2tHmO0c8CYdOmrPsG8oQON8vD4_kEGFeL5p_yAOqJD2bJc3X1pomyRkQYpRRq1KphzeJ_7f-gJUrlFLzb_W3Bw_Rl_-laKMDZrA9uUH61Af25vmZLq6XAhRkGqMjKDoOzRiWhvAubKN1DjDJV0ZMXXmb6VFdnJiv4trxLxhUsmwfnr2c73DlkQoXJOQPXAma_Y3UfFV-gQhcmMSEeYotec_6KtRZ3sozxpOYJ5uKmRGKJ_spH6NDK1xlPVw5Z00E8EtwxFKMVFkcGOuy-CkPivWWCrYOihZEPpzHP3Nd6jAfl0GANyedOiNLmNn7qjmezGdDlnzsqAGb0JnYN_DzlAIwig8m_OPUucdHVQT4pnKUmelf5DTThwDBB5IPq1GCtvWOnRoDcuWQA7RpBvRW2pG835q1O9bi45xz8TQnqHozGCYLjmBlqgHty6mQbJU=w66-h34-no

That boat trip really did mess with you, didn't it?
Well, they can do that.

Ok, that's a relief!
:thumbsup2

As opposed to a whoop there it is.
That would make for a fun alarm, don't you think?

Unless the alarm went: French vanilla, Rocky Road. Chocolate, peanut butter, cookie dough! (you're welcome)

They're playing the same position I did in Little League. Left out.
But I bet you were outstanding in your field.
Almost always the case. We found one or two exceptions over the years. But even then, they're probably interesting to somebody.
I guess? Like... some dude who never comes out from behind his physics textbook.
This one would also have been acceptable:

wpid-aofajaws-1.jpg
:thumbsup2
Has any movie nailed a creature so perfectly as this? I vote no.
Concur.
I hope he had good aim!
Or poor... depending on what his aim is.
Yes, they did! That seemed to be a good part of the tour company's business--transporting campers to and fro for their adventures. They'd strap several kayaks to the back of the boat for transport.
Ah! Then I'm in.
We tell ourselves a lot of things, but we're too old to remember what we said.
About what?
:laughing: That's got to be it! I think you cracked the code.
:snooty:
Now I'm thinking of that ice cream jingle. Did they have that commercial in Canada? It was a spoof of this song.
Don't think so? But then again I haven't watched commercials in years.

l was really hoping there'd only be one chapter here. Not that I don't adore your writing, but... ya know.

The good news with this one is that you wrote a portion of one of my future chapters. Horrific boat trips are no joke. Not sure I can describe ours any better than you did with far more wit than I could muster.

That hike reminded me of the hike around Angel Island near San Fran. Views very much like that. :)

My arteries got a bit cringy at your meal. Looked pretty darn delicious though. I'd eat that. Alison is often full of SoCal wisdom! Hopefully I can get back her way in the next couple of years. :)

But I bet you were outstanding in your field.
The best! Nobody collects dust like me.

I guess? Like... some dude who never comes out from behind his physics textbook.
Well, I didn't say it would be a lot of people.

Or poor... depending on what his aim is.
Correct.

About what?
I don't remember.

Don't think so? But then again I haven't watched commercials in years.
I apologize for the earworm.

l was really hoping there'd only be one chapter here. Not that I don't adore your writing, but... ya know.
Hey, I had to catch up with three of yours. It's the way it goes.

I'll try and put in more golf stuff to skim past in the next one. ;)
The good news with this one is that you wrote a portion of one of my future chapters. Horrific boat trips are no joke. Not sure I can describe ours any better than you did with far more wit than I could muster.
Oh man, I'm already cringing in advance for your story. I can't think of many worse feelings than being seasick.

That hike reminded me of the hike around Angel Island near San Fran. Views very much like that. :)
Sounds like one I'd enjoy, then! The California coast does not get old.

My arteries got a bit cringy at your meal. Looked pretty darn delicious though. I'd eat that. Alison is often full of SoCal wisdom! Hopefully I can get back her way in the next couple of years. :)
Well, something's gotta kill ya. Might as well die happy.

Alison is wonderful and needs lots of breaks with good friends! She deserves them at this point.

Checking in. That's about all I can do before the next update.

Sorry your family got motion sickness on the boat, but it sounds like you ended up having a good day anyways.

Sorry Wood Ranch didn't get a Homer Award, then again even with its attempt at a folksy barn feeling, it probably still is somewhat pretentious! 😂

You didn’t make it worse.
So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Checking in. That's about all I can do before the next update.
Hey, I'm glad you're able to read anything at all with all the craziness going on! Thanks for sticking with me. Hoping to start the DL portion soon.

Sorry your family got motion sickness on the boat, but it sounds like you ended up having a good day anyways.
That was a rough start! Thank goodness for bonine. I think that saved the day.

Sorry Wood Ranch didn't get a Homer Award, then again even with its attempt at a folksy barn feeling, it probably still is somewhat pretentious! 😂
Ha! Not at all! It was right up our alley. You would never steer us wrong.

We were close to a drooling Homer, but I tried to explain in the chapter that it was good, but I have had better BBQ. But there's no shame in that! And not everything can be Homer-worthy. This is a prestigious award, you know. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter