Do I still get opening day prices with ABD if I buy a resale DVC contract?

Theta

DIS Veteran
One of the reasons we area considering DVC is for this perk with ABD.

Do I need to buy direct and have the blue card or am I eligible to receive opening day pricing from ABD. In addition, is the opening day pricing the early booking discount price or the regular price?

Doubt it. ABD is part of Membership Extras (Disney Collection).

You need qualified points to book those via DVC, so it's very unlikely you would be able to book early for cash using DVC membership for eligibility.

P.S. Using points to pay for ABD will not save you money. Don't buy DVC for anything other than a DVC resort stay because you will end up paying more for those non-DVC options

Using Points for the DVC "Collections"

Last edited:
Yes, I wouldn't use DVC points to book Abd, I would use cash.

But, some of the Adventure price increases can be $2000-3000 per person more than opening day prices. We are a family of 4 so, that is a huge perk for us.

Last edited:

I've never heard of this perk before. Is it listed somewhere official? I only found it on one travel agent website.

I am not sure where it is written, but just call ABD, they will confirm. I always get asked if I am DVC when I book directly with ABD because you get opening day pricing.

I am not sure where it is written, but just call ABD, they will confirm. I always get asked if I am DVC when I book directly with ABD because you get opening day pricing.
What is opening day pricing? Do you have to be a direct member to get this perk?

What is opening day pricing? Do you have to be a direct member to get this perk?

When they release adventure dates for the following year, they offer them at a certain price, that is Opening Day pricing. The actually amount varies by adventure date. As adventures fill, the pricing goes up and up and up. I am not sure how many tiers of pricing they have on each adventure.

ABD may have 4 or 6? (no one knows) spots at each price level. If you are a DVC member, you get the lowest price they have ever offered for that adventure date.

Occasionally, they offer promos on adventure dates that don't sell quickly, but generally, you need to be one of the first guests to book to get the lowest price on this tiered pricing model ABD uses.

Do you have to be buy a DVC contract directly through Disney to get this perk? That was my initial question. I am not sure. Sounds like it??

I would assume you need to be a direct purchase member, but you never know. Call ABD and ask...but for that substantial of a discount, and being part of the Disney Collection, direct purchase requirements make sense.

If I am understanding the OP correctly, he/she wants to be able to book ABD at opening day prices any time after those trips have been released, but not necessarily use DVC points for such bookings.

I haven't heard of or read about this benefit with either direct or resale membership. Unless OP frequently books such trips, it may not be worthwhile to purchase direct if it's indeed required.

LAX

If I am understanding the OP correctly, he/she wants to be able to book ABD at opening day prices any time after those trips have been released, but not necessarily use DVC points for such bookings.

I haven't heard of or read about this benefit with either direct or resale membership. Unless OP frequently books such trips, it may not be worthwhile to purchase direct if it's indeed required.

LAX

As a DVC member who has taken ABD trips, I've never heard about this either - or been informed when such a date happens.

This is what I found on DVC website:

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/destinations/adventures/
Great Rates for Members
As a Disney Vacation Club Member, you can take advantage of Members-only rates on select departures! For details, please contact Member Services

I have gone on three ABD trips and have 2 more booked and they have always asked me if I DVC owner because of the lower pricing, which always turned out to be opening day pricing.

So here is something to know. When DVC negotiates these deals, they often negotiate them in limited quantity. i.e. they will discount X DVC members, when X+1 calls, that discount is no longer available. This has disappointed members in the past. It will also be subject to change - discounts available last year may disappear next year - and reappear in five years or never.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!