Do I need to fill out the juror questionnaire?

monkey68

<font color=darkorchid>I instill the fear of manho
I just got a juror questionnaire in the mail today. Thing is, I am moving in a couple weeks to a different county. And actually, I served jury duty about 3 years ago in a different county, so I'm not sure if that even counts for another county. So should I just ignore the questionnaire since my address will be changing in a couple weeks? Should I fill out the questionnaire and submit a copy of the letter I got when I served in another county? I'll probably give them a call tomorrow or the next day if I get a chance, just curious what the wise people on the DIS thought.

I would fill it in but both attach the evidence that you have served recently and also give your new address. And a lot depends on what state you are in; very often a court will cover more than one county.

I don't know about your area, but here in CA, we can serve once every 12 monhts.

Fill it out and if there is a place, note that you are moving.

Don't ignore it. Call to find out what they want you to do.

Please don't ignore it. There should be a phone number somewhere on the paperwork. I would call them and ask what you should do. I know here in Fl we can serve once a year.

In NY, I think it's every 4 years, or every 6, I don't quite remember. I have to get that paperwork out and look at it again, but I have a recollection from when I went, that they said I wouldn't get called for 4 years, since I believe I went to federal court. Definitely not once a year though. I will give them a call tomorrow if I'll be free before 5, if not tomorrow, than the next day. There doesn't seem to be any place to note a change of address, so I'm not sure what to do with that regard, but I will call them and ask. Hopefully they'll tell me just to ignore it, but I somehow don't see that happening.

Here's the NY State juror website:
http://www.nyjuror.gov/users/wwwucs/

There may be an answer to your question there. I had jury duty last year (Nassau County) and we were told we could be called every 6 yrs. I don't remember what the federal service could be, but I know that most people don't get that as often. (I've been called for Nassau County 3 times, federal once.)

I've talked to my bailiff about this before, and the answer is YES, return the questionaire. Note on it that you are moving outside the county, give the date you will be moving, and attach proof of the move if you have it. (Such as copy of lease.)

The Court will be able to take you off their list, and will know that you are not just blowing off your civic responsibility. Judges don't like it when people blow off jury duty, and can have you arrested for not showing up. If you get excused for not living in the court's jurisdiction anymore, you won't have to worry.

I've talked to my bailiff about this before, and the answer is YES, return the questionaire. Note on it that you are moving outside the county, give the date you will be moving, and attach proof of the move if you have it. (Such as copy of lease.)

The Court will be able to take you off their list, and will know that you are not just blowing off your civic responsibility. Judges don't like it when people blow off jury duty, and can have you arrested for not showing up. If you get excused for not living in the court's jurisdiction anymore, you won't have to worry.

Unfortunately, I'll be moving back to my parent's house so I don't have a lease at the new address. Granted, my lease at my apartment is ending, so I guess I can always give a copy of that, but we're actually moving about a month earlier than the lease (our landlord had no problems with it since the people who will be renting will move on Aug. 1). But I did find my jury papers from when I served 3 years ago, the paper said to hold onto it for 6 years after service.

From the jury website in NY, I found this:
A ] A person who serves in a State or Federal court in New York—either by reporting in person or by being available to serve via a telephone call-in system—normally is not eligible to serve again in the New York State courts for at least six years.

It doesn't say what happens if you served in a different county than the one you are being called for. But the questionnaire doens't ask about specific county either, so I'll give them a call, but I don't think I should have to go yet.

Every 12 months here too.

Every 12 months?!?! wow that would suck! I think ours is every 4 years or so but in between you can be called for the grand jury -my dad had to go to Brooklyn :scared1: once to serve on I believe it was the grand jury- We have 2 courts out here in our county they send you to- Central Islip or Riverhead- CI is closest to my house which means of course most of the times I got called it was for Riverhead :confused3 . I found that if I just ignored the riverhead ones that eventually they would call me for CI and I would go.

It doesn't say what happens if you served in a different county than the one you are being called for. But the questionnaire doens't ask about specific county either, so I'll give them a call, but I don't think I should have to go yet.
Nobody's saying you have to go, but pretty much everyone IS saying you need to complete and return the questionnaire. Or, is there any way to fill it out online?

Don't ignore it. Call to find out what they want you to do.

Put it this way, I thought I sent mine in, and I did not... they sent me a letter telling me that I could be arrested.... I served jury duty yesterday.

I just got a juror questionnaire in the mail today. Thing is, I am moving in a couple weeks to a different county. And actually, I served jury duty about 3 years ago in a different county, so I'm not sure if that even counts for another county. So should I just ignore the questionnaire since my address will be changing in a couple weeks? Should I fill out the questionnaire and submit a copy of the letter I got when I served in another county? I'll probably give them a call tomorrow or the next day if I get a chance, just curious what the wise people on the DIS thought.

I got a jury summons a few months after i married and had moved to a different state. I didn't bother to call I just sent the questionaire back unfinished listing the new addy and wrote "Moved out of county" next to the old addy. Couple weeks later they sent me post card confirming that. So I just post your move date and your addy on the card and send it back.

In our county the questionaire is not the same as a summons.
I always ignore the questionaires but never a summons.

After I had jury duty twice and was summoned a 3rd time while DH had never even been contacted I decided the system was not equitable and I stopped returning the questionairs. (we moved here at the same time, went to the DMV on the same day for new licenses and voter registrations) Unless they send it with proof of mailing they cannot prove I got it and therefore I do not return it.

If anyone wants an update, I did call, and they told me that for now, I need to fill it out as though I am still living in that county, but once I fill out the change of address, they apparently get notified through that and take me out of the system automatically? Then she said since I served 3 years ago, I just need to send a copy of my documentation and they will not summon me since it didn't matter that I served in a different county.

I have received at least three jury qualification questionnaires (which is not the same thing as a summons for jury duty) in the 12 years I've lived in my county. I have thrown each one away and nothing has ever happened to me.

Yes, all of the forms make the same threats about "failure to fill out this questionnaire is a misdemeanor" blah blah blah, but the truth is that most municipalities are too busy dealing with REAL crimes (like murder, robbery, rape, etc.) to bother tracking down someone who didn't fill out a questionnaire.

If they ever do bother to send a police officer or sheriff to my doorstep, I'll just tell them I never received any questionnaire. Since they were not sent by registered mail, they can not prove whether I received them or not and have no case against me.

After I had moved counties years ago, I got pulled over for a minor speeding ticket. The officer ran my info and said there was an arrest warrant out for me. I laughed and said no way. He said it was for failure to appear or respond to jury duty summons. I had to go to a court and prove that I never received the summons since I had moved.

This was LA county.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter