Do I bother getting Annual Passes for the whole family?

Alexsandra

Ready for the next adventure
I booked a room at Universal's Hard Rock Hotel this coming March. I got myself the Seasonal Annual Pass so I could take advantage of the APH discount. I was about to buy tickets for the rest of the family and decided to check if it was worth to buy AP for the whole family. It comes out to only $100 difference (total for all 4 of us) plus Universal is offering an extra 3 months free to their AP.

I know it is worth the expense if I travel to USF once more before the year and 3 months expire but the problem is that I live in Canada so it makes going back a lot more complicated. I would need to book another Universal vacation for next year.

I've been to USF twice in the past and now once again for four days to finally check out Diagon Alley. Personally I don't think I'll want to visit again within the same year.

My boys are 8 and 12 and love roller coasters so I know they won't complain to go back again but there are only two parks (not counting VB) and they are fairly small. I just don't know if I want to spend money on flights, hotel, food to visit those parks once more.

What do you suggest I do?

it’s tempting when is only $100 more, but with all the expenses that another visit represents I wouldn’t. Tickets can always be upgraded if once you’re there you change your mind about visiting again.

We have developed a habit of buying the annual seasonal passes and going year after year staggered a week to take advantage of them twice. Works out great for us.

Another thing to consider is the AP renewal rate is a sizable discount. So, the consideration might not be "Will we visit more than once in a year?" but be "Will we visit again within two years?" If you think the family would be interested in yearly, seasonal events (Halloween Horror Nights (my family's addiction!), Mardi Gras, Christmas, etc), then that might be a reason to opt for the passes. I understand that traveling from Canada is more daunting than my visits from a short 1.5 hour flight away, though. I just wanted to throw out another consideration for you and others with the same question.

Another thing to consider is the AP renewal rate is a sizable discount. So, the consideration might not be "Will we visit more than once in a year?" but be "Will we visit again within two years?" If you think the family would be interested in yearly, seasonal events (Halloween Horror Nights (my family's addiction!), Mardi Gras, Christmas, etc), then that might be a reason to opt for the passes. I understand that traveling from Canada is more daunting than my visits from a short 1.5 hour flight away, though. I just wanted to throw out another consideration for you and others with the same question.
Mmmm, I see your point. It just makes it that much harder to decide. I think I will have to think about it a little longer. I have 2-3 weeks before I leave and need to buy the tickets. Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!:wave2:

Hey Guys just wanted to let you know that we decided on getting the seasonal passes for the whole family. With only $100 difference and the extra 3 months, we decided to take advantage of the deal.

We are most probably going to visit again next March since we will want to check out the new Star wars Land at WDW. This way we'll add a few days at Universal and get the most out of our money.

Thanks for everyones help :thumbsup2

Hey Guys just wanted to let you know that we decided on getting the seasonal passes for the whole family. With only $100 difference and the extra 3 months, we decided to take advantage of the deal.

We are most probably going to visit again next March since we will want to check out the new Star wars Land at WDW. This way we'll add a few days at Universal and get the most out of our money.

Thanks for everyones help :thumbsup2

Excellent.......:)

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing at least one AP to book our rooms and such (actually there is an AP vacation package i'm looking at). Hadn't considered AP's for everyone. I might have to think that one over. We're going in June (7 days Disney and 3 or so days in US).

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing at least one AP to book our rooms and such (actually there is an AP vacation package i'm looking at). Hadn't considered AP's for everyone. I might have to think that one over. We're going in June (7 days Disney and 3 or so days in US).
DO it! you won't regret it. I just got back and saved a bunch with my AP.

DO it! you won't regret it. I just got back and saved a bunch with my AP.

I went ahead and did it. When do you get your AP number so i can use it for booking the resort? do i need to just call as it should be in the system?
We won't be traveling until June (the special is on to get 6 months free but have to activate before April. Not sure how i can do that. We're in Virginia so can't just pop over to US.
Guess i should call?

You have to activate the pass at the parks. It is the only way. So sorry, but you will miss out on the 6 month free offer unless it is extended.

You do not need an AP number to book at the APH rate. You just have to show the AP before you check out to keep that rate. APH rates are usually available 90 days ahead of the stay.

I went ahead and did it. When do you get your AP number so i can use it for booking the resort? do i need to just call as it should be in the system?
We won't be traveling until June (the special is on to get 6 months free but have to activate before April. Not sure how i can do that. We're in Virginia so can't just pop over to US.
Guess i should call?
I phoned, because we arrive at the end of April. They told me I have to activate at the park. Hoping they extend offer! I’m going to Ft Lauderdale first and planned on buying AP at the AAA down there to save a few $. If I didn’t have to activate pass before that date I would have bought it over the phone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter