DME and RAC....FAQs

Chip 'n Dale Express

Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o
DonnettaR said:
Thanks for all of the information. Are there standing (or pre-assigned times) for bus pick up to return to the airport?
Yes. You will recieve a notice on your door the day prior to departure with your motorcoach pick up time. Be out at the stop, ready to go about 15 minutes prior.

la79al

DIS Veteran
Here's a silly question. I am looking at myself and 2 kids coming down on Amtrak and being picked up by relatives. Then we would meet DH at the airport as he would be flying in. Is there anyway we could all use ME to get to ASMo or is there another way we would get to the resort?

• LynnTH

DIS Veteran
    Ok - I'm trying to get this all straight also. We will be flying into Gainsville and renting a car for a few days as we go to Fort Myers. We will be turning the car in as soon as we get to Disney. So, We only need ME on the way back. (We are flying back from Orlando Airport) We are staying on Rented Points at DVC. Are we allowed to use ME? If so, we just make our reservations at the front desk at BWV?? We are flying by Northwest that is not listed - so, do we just take our luggage with us then?? Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Chip 'n Dale Express

la79al said:
    Here's a silly question. I am looking at myself and 2 kids coming down on Amtrak and being picked up by relatives. Then we would meet DH at the airport as he would be flying in. Is there anyway we could all use ME to get to ASMo or is there another way we would get to the resort?
    Yes, if you take a taxi from Amtrak to Orlando Int'l, and meet up with your husband, you can take DME.

huey578

Test Track Dummy
    So if we are flying Southwest Airlines into Orlando, will our luggage will be sent directly to resort or do we still need to pick it up at baggage claim and take with us on bus? Thanks

seashoreCM

All around nice guy.
    huey578 said:
    So if we are flying Southwest Airlines into Orlando, will our luggage will be sent directly to resort or do we still need to pick it up at baggage claim and take with us on bus? Thanks
    Luggage will be sent directly to the resort if that is what you want. (All guests should hand carry valuables, and stuff they will need right away such as swimsuits.)

Coming to Disney the Magical Express procedure for all airlines, including Southwest, is the same.
    LynnTH said:
    So, We only need ME on the way back. (We are flying back from Orlando Airport) We are staying on Rented Points at DVC. Are we allowed to use ME? If so, we just make our reservations at the front desk at BWV?? We are flying by Northwest that is not listed - so, do we just take our luggage with us then?? .
    Yes and yes. Make your homebound reservation at least a day before checkout, you can do that at the resort. You will have to manage your luggage yourself between checkout and boarding the bus. The bellhop will store luggage for a few hours while you enjoy the parks, if you wish.

• kristadisneylover

Going to live by Disneyland!
    I have found this thread to be very helpful. Question: If I use the ME luggage tags and then decide when I get to MCO that I want to take them myself is that possible? Or will they automatically put the luggage somewhere else when they see the luggage tags?
    Also, do you receive gratuities if we take our luggage with us - but then allow you to handle them on and off the bus? Just don't want to jip (sp?) anyone? I know if we take them the whole time you won't but was wondering about the above.

goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
    kristadisneylover said:
    I have found this thread to be very helpful. Question: If I use the ME luggage tags and then decide when I get to MCO that I want to take them myself is that possible? Or will they automatically put the luggage somewhere else when they see the luggage tags?
    Also, do you receive gratuities if we take our luggage with us - but then allow you to handle them on and off the bus? Just don't want to jip (sp?) anyone? I know if we take them the whole time you won't but was wondering about the above.
    HI and Welcome to the DIS boards. As to your questions...if you put those yellow tags on your bags, you won't see them again until you get to your resort room. So, if you think you may want to pick them up yourself, at baggage claim, don't put the tags on. They are pulled before they ever make it out to the baggage claim area.
    As far as tipping the bus driver, the rule of thumb is...if the driver touches your bags, he/she gets a tip...about a buck a bag. Any bag that was considered 'checked baggage' at the airport, will have to go underneath the bus, so the driver will be tipped. If you have only 'carry-on' bags with you, then they go on the bus with you, and the driver never touches them, and no tip. However, if I get a driver who is fun, witty and informative...basically goes the little bit extra, I will tip even if I only have carry-on with me.

kristadisneylover

Going to live by Disneyland!
    goofy4tink said:
    HI and Welcome to the DIS boards. As to your questions...if you put those yellow tags on your bags, you won't see them again until you get to your resort room. So, if you think you may want to pick them up yourself, at baggage claim, don't put the tags on. They are pulled before they ever make it out to the baggage claim area.
    As far as tipping the bus driver, the rule of thumb is...if the driver touches your bags, he/she gets a tip...about a buck a bag. Any bag that was considered 'checked baggage' at the airport, will have to go underneath the bus, so the driver will be tipped. If you have only 'carry-on' bags with you, then they go on the bus with you, and the driver never touches them, and no tip. However, if I get a driver who is fun, witty and informative...basically goes the little bit extra, I will tip even if I only have carry-on with me.
    Thanks so much for clarifying!!!

rw_hadley

"Did you ever get the feeling there's something go
    Someone on the AllEarsNet weekly newsletter claimed that they had contacted WDW regarding ME, and that US Airways was now a participating airline.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

• goofy4tink

I read the same thing. The one thing to keep in mind with DME and participating airlines is this....every single person arriving in MCO, whatever their particular airline, is able to use DME to get to WDW. It is only the ability to check your luggage through for your return flight that is different. If you are not on one of those 'participating' airlines, you will get a note from DME the day before you are to leave telling you what time to report to the bus area. You will then take your luggage with you to the bus, the luggage will go underneath the bus, you will go on the bus. Then you get dropped off at the same spot at the terminal you arrived at. You take your bags and check them as usual.

It is very nice to be able to get rid of your bags at the resort though. Hopefully, as time goes by, more and more airlines will take part in this.

Chip 'n Dale Express

rw_hadley said:
    Someone on the AllEarsNet weekly newsletter claimed that they had contacted WDW regarding ME, and that US Airways was now a participating airline.
    Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!
    The OFFICIAL word is as follows:

US Airways is NOT a participating airline.

Northwest is currently undergoing testing, and may do some soft-opens at SOME resorts starting as early as next week. (Subject to change, depending on testing conditions. Not available at all resorts.)

Sunshine427

Mouseketeer
    I'm sorry, just to clarify.... we're flying on Southwest, so my luggage will automatically go to the hotel (POP) as long as I put the tags on them. But leaving we have to bring our luggage to the DME bus & check them ourselves at MCO, it will not be done automatically since Southwest is not a "participating" airline, is that correct??? :confused3

goofy4tink

Sunshine427 said:
    I'm sorry, just to clarify.... we're flying on Southwest, so my luggage will automatically go to the hotel (POP) as long as I put the tags on them. But leaving we have to bring our luggage to the DME bus & check them ourselves at MCO, it will not be done automatically since Southwest is not a "participating" airline, is that correct??? :confused3
    Yep, you got it!!!

Rosco'sjamma

Earning My Ears
    We're leaving for Disney next Tuesday...March 7th. We made ressies last Thurdsay for DME and they said they would Fed Ex our tags to us. We haven't gotten them yet. Should I panic? Should I call? Do you think they'll get here on time? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rosco's Jamma

safetymom

Super Moderator
    I would call them. But you can still have your luggage sent to the resort if you don't have the tags. When you go to the DME desk you give them your baggage claim numbers and they can pull the luggage and send it to the resort. No need for you to go to baggage claim.

goofy4tink

Rosco'sjamma said:
    We're leaving for Disney next Tuesday...March 7th. We made ressies last Thurdsay for DME and they said they would Fed Ex our tags to us. We haven't gotten them yet. Should I panic? Should I call? Do you think they'll get here on time? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Rosco's Jamma
    I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope. But, don't panic! Everything will go just fine. You have two options....since you won't have those yellow tags you can just go to baggage claim and pick up your luggage as usual and take it with you to the DME check-in area. Then your stuff will just go under the bus and arrive with you at your resort.
    Or..you can show your baggage claim slips to the DME people and someone will go get the bags for you and send them along with the 'yellow tagged' bags, and they will arrive at your resort sometime after you do. If you can give the DME person a good description of your luggage it will help. I have made some brightly colored wide ribbon tie-ons to help identify my bags.

Either way....it will all go smoothly. If I were you, I would just get my own luggage. That way you'll have it with you when you check-in. Have a terrific trip!!!

Rosco'sjamma

Earning My Ears
    Safety Mom:

Thank you for getting back to me. Your answer put my mind at ease....somewhat. I'm sure all will work out. I guess I have to blame myself for not registering for DME sooner. It was just one of those things that I put off...a bit too long.

Again, thank you for your help.

Rosco's Jamma

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates