DME and RAC....FAQs

Chip 'n Dale Express

Can't stay put!<br><font color=purple>I met lots o
RC322 said:
Got a quick question. My return flight is scheduled for 630 AM (I gotta make it back for class at 9 :sad2: ). We are staying on site at POP. How do I get from the hotel to the airport? Do they have a shuttle there at 5 AM??
DME is a 24 hour a day operation.

If your flight is at 6:30, your bus will be at 3:30am, and you will need to take your own luggage.

rw_hadley

"Did you ever get the feeling there's something go
We just booked our air, and they are through US Airways, but the flights are actually United/TED. We apparently check in at the United desk.
Any idea if we would be able to use the Resort Airline Check-In, since United & TED are participating, but US Air is not?

biggroofy

DIS Veteran
Chip 'n Dale Express said:
You do not need to utilize the luggage transfers for either way. You are always more than welcome to claim your luggage, and bring it with you on the bus. Just realize that when you take the luggage onto the bus with you, that Disney will not be covering gratuities for either the motorcoach driver or bell services at the resort.
HI,

Please let me know if my assumption is correct: :teeth:
I come from Canada via Air Transat. After clearing immigration and customs, I can pick up my luggages (both hand-carry and checked) directly to the ME bus. Upon arrival at the resort, I can retrieve my luggages when I get off, and take them with me to check-in counter.

Two more questions:
1). We are on a vacation package by NOUlTOURS (Flight + Disney Resort). The travel agent claims that there is NO NEED for us to book ME, since it is organized by the tour operator. Some forum members suggested me to make a reservation myself (to play safe), but I am just worried if I will be double-booked.

2). A bit off-topic. How much in general do people pay gratuities for motorcoach driver or bell services?

Thanks!

• Chip 'n Dale Express

biggroofy said:
    HI,

Please let me know if my assumption is correct: :teeth:
    I come from Canada via Air Transat. After clearing immigration and customs, I can pick up my luggages (both hand-carry and checked) directly to the ME bus. Upon arrival at the resort, I can retrieve my luggages when I get off, and take them with me to check-in counter.

Two more questions:
    1). We are on a vacation package by NOUlTOURS (Flight + Disney Resort). The travel agent claims that there is NO NEED for us to book ME, since it is organized by the tour operator. Some forum members suggested me to make a reservation myself (to play safe), but I am just worried if I will be double-booked.

2). A bit off-topic. How much in general do people pay gratuities for motorcoach driver or bell services?

Thanks!
    DME reservations are linked to a room reservation, so it's impossible to double-book. Even if it were, it's FREE, so it wouldn't matter.

I might recommend calling the 866 number to confirm the reservation exists.

bethbuchall

DIS Veteran
    Ok...I have a weird question that hasn't been asked yet.

We are arriving in Orlando a week before we are staying on-site. We are renting a car for the first week and haven't decided whether we want to keep it for our on-site week.

Would it be possible to return the car to the airport the day that we are checking in at POR and then take ME to POR? So we aren't actually flying in that day, but it would be transportation to POR from the airport. If we can, that may help make our car rental decision for us.

Beth

ckdisfan

Earning My Ears
    Just a question regarding Magical Express. I was in Disney in January and we did not use the service. I was wondering if there is a toilet on the bus? It looked like there might have been a small one in the back. We are traveling in March and wondered if one if available.

Magical JenK

DIS Veteran
    One more question regarding ME....I've seen some posts where it took 2+ hours to get to the resort from when they landed. While I do understand there will be some busier days/times of the day than others, I was wondering what to expect on an AVERAGE Wednesday evening...perhaps 7pm or perhaps as late at 11pm...??? We're staying at POFQ which I think I heard was one of the first stops on a certain bus...for that particular posting anyway...I'm debating on arriving at 7pm or 11pm & just curious what to expect....assuming everything aligns perfectly!! :0)
    Thanks
    Jen

• Chip 'n Dale Express

bethbuchall said:
    Ok...I have a weird question that hasn't been asked yet.

We are arriving in Orlando a week before we are staying on-site. We are renting a car for the first week and haven't decided whether we want to keep it for our on-site week.

Would it be possible to return the car to the airport the day that we are checking in at POR and then take ME to POR? So we aren't actually flying in that day, but it would be transportation to POR from the airport. If we can, that may help make our car rental decision for us.

Beth
    Yes, that is possible.

Chip 'n Dale Express

ckdisfan said:
    Just a question regarding Magical Express. I was in Disney in January and we did not use the service. I was wondering if there is a toilet on the bus? It looked like there might have been a small one in the back. We are traveling in March and wondered if one if available.
    Yes, but it's VERY small, and I wouldn't want to use it while the coach is in motion.

Chip 'n Dale Express

Magical JenK said:
    One more question regarding ME....I've seen some posts where it took 2+ hours to get to the resort from when they landed. While I do understand there will be some busier days/times of the day than others, I was wondering what to expect on an AVERAGE Wednesday evening...perhaps 7pm or perhaps as late at 11pm...??? We're staying at POFQ which I think I heard was one of the first stops on a certain bus...for that particular posting anyway...I'm debating on arriving at 7pm or 11pm & just curious what to expect....assuming everything aligns perfectly!! :0)
    Thanks
    Jen
    In my experience, it has been pretty much spon on 75 minutes from touch down to arriving at the Grand Floridian. Other resorts may vary.

DonnettaR

DIS Veteran
    Ok, after reading all of the posts, I don't think I have seen my question her so that I will ask. Can you just use the DME for a trip back to the airport.? We are doing a 7-day Disney cruise, followed by a 4-night stay at the Poly. We have DCL transfers to pick us up from MCO and take us to the terminal, and will use DCL to get us to the Poly. Thanks

• goofy4tink

No tags...not needed! Transportation moderator
    Yes, you sure can. I have done it that way myself, but I did have both ways booked. I would call them to find out if you need to book the return trip. The time that I used only the return I had already booked it from MCO also, but my ds picked me up, so I didn't need to use it. The return was no problem at all.

DonnettaR

DIS Veteran
    Thanks. So when do I call to make the ressies and where do I pick up the special luggage tags?

goofy4tink

DonnettaR said:
    Thanks. So when do I call to make the ressies and where do I pick up the special luggage tags?

Call as soon as possible, especially if your trip is within the next month or so. They will send you a packet, with all the info in it that you will need. You will not need the 'yellow' luggage tags since you won't be using DME from MCO to your ship. I'm sure DCL has already taken care of your luggage transfer. You will get a notification at your end resort, notifying you of the time you will need to be at the bus stop for your return to the airport. If you are flying on one of the participating airlines, you will be able to check your luggage through at this time. If your bus time is, say...10:00 am, for a flight time of 1:00pm, then I would suggest that you get your luggage to the luggage check spot by 8 a.m....it can get busy. You will check your luggage (if you qualify) and you will get your boarding passes issued then.

Melwood23

I need another WDW trip!!
    Ok I have 22 days, and 23 hrs till I touch down in Orlando. I have the DME, but when I look at my reservation, it shows airline unknown, and I know I put in the airline, Southwest. Now I am worried my luggage will NOT get picked up, because of this.

sallyjane

Mouseketeer
    This has probably been asked and answered a million times but here goes. Are gratuitys already taken care of for the bus driver (carry on bags) and bell services. In December I went ahead and tipped them both because I was unsure and it is rude to ask.

Thanks

Chip 'n Dale Express

Melwood23 said:
    Ok I have 22 days, and 23 hrs till I touch down in Orlando. I have the DME, but when I look at my reservation, it shows airline unknown, and I know I put in the airline, Southwest. Now I am worried my luggage will NOT get picked up, because of this.
    As long as you use the yellow tags, your luggage will be transported. In fact, even if you don't, it still will get taken care of, but it will take a little bit longer.

Chip 'n Dale Express

sallyjane said:
    This has probably been asked and answered a million times but here goes. Are gratuitys already taken care of for the bus driver (carry on bags) and bell services. In December I went ahead and tipped them both because I was unsure and it is rude to ask.

Thanks
    The ONLY gratuities that are included is the INBOUND Bell Services delivery of your luggage, and ONLY if you use the Luggage Transportation part of the service.

If you handle your own luggage, gratuities are not included for anyone.

DonnettaR

DIS Veteran
    Thanks for all of the information. Are there standing (or pre-assigned times) for bus pick up to return to the airport?

goofy4tink

DonnettaR said:
    Thanks for all of the information. Are there standing (or pre-assigned times) for bus pick up to return to the airport?
    Not really. They leave when they have people on 'em. I don't think I've ever waited more than 15 mins for a bus to leave. After you check in at the DME desk, you will be directed to the bus line area, right across the way actually. Then, you head for the line that will service your resort, as well as one of two others. The buses come and go at no 'set' times....just as needed. So, if you were to say, use the restrooms or grab a bite to eat, it won't be the case of having to wait an hour for the next bus to leave.

As Tyler said...bell services people don't get tipped. The bus driver only gets tipped if he/she touches your bags. If you have carry-on only, and you have it on the bus with you, then no tip. But if the driver puts anything underneath the bus, he should receive a tip. Sometimes I will tip anyway because the driver performed his duties exceptionally well....helpful, interesting, adding to my trip.

Connect

Disney News and Updates

Get Daily Email Updates

DIS INSTAGRAM