DL solo adult

aurorasleeping

HHN Addict
It looks like I might be driving down to DL by myself for a coupla days in mid-january...
Usually I just take day trips down (it's about an hour drive each way), so I've never stayed in any hotels in the area...Any suggestions for a solo adult? Should I stay on property? I'll get a good discount if I stay on property, but still not really sure if it's worth the $$? What about the hotels nearby?
Also, Any good suggestions for restraunts? I usually don't mind eating by myself (with a few exceptions of restraunts where I can't get service if I'm by myself) ...
I was also wondering, how crowded is it usually in mid-january? I was thinking of going mid-week...hoping for less crowds...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

aurorasleeping said:
It looks like I might be driving down to DL by myself for a coupla days in mid-january...
Usually I just take day trips down (it's about an hour drive each way), so I've never stayed in any hotels in the area...Any suggestions for a solo adult? Should I stay on property? I'll get a good discount if I stay on property, but still not really sure if it's worth the $$? What about the hotels nearby?
Also, Any good suggestions for restraunts? I usually don't mind eating by myself (with a few exceptions of restraunts where I can't get service if I'm by myself) ...
I was also wondering, how crowded is it usually in mid-january? I was thinking of going mid-week...hoping for less crowds...
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ahem...I will take this one folks.....several DIS'ers know that I had planned for MONTHS to take my god daughter to DL at the end of this mo for her christmas present...well as I was getting ready to pay for the pkg., I found out that it would not be possible for her to go...my dd (20) didnt want to go and no one I know wanted to either...I was so disappointed I cried to everyone here on the boards..had several people from the boards who were planning on coming down say they would hang out with me so I made an executive decision :rotfl: to book it...fastforward today....dont really know for sure who exactly is going to be there because 2 of the main people I was going to meet either cant come, wont be there when Im there after all, or will only be there like my first day so here I am now facing the majority of my trip alone :sad1: :scared: but you know what, Im thinking its really going to be a fun time for me...most of my trip I wont have to wait for anybody and then be mad because I missed something, and yes I am going to stay on property with the exception of the first 2 nights (will be staying at the Sheraton Anaheim) hey thats an :idea: for a place to stay :lovestruc I love that place...I will let everybody else post about the restaurants and such but pretty much anywhere in the park is good...Jan is a good time of year to go as far as crowds but bad as far as amount of refurbs...let us know what you decide ;)

I just returned from a 3 day solo trip. My son acted up so badly last month that I warned him I would go without him if he didn't straigten up. Well he didn't and I had a fantastic trip. I'm working on a trip report which will be up probably tomorrow.

This trip I stayed at the Hyatt, got it for $43 per night via Priceline which sounds great until they add the $15 per night parking fee. Others I would consider staying at are Carousel Inn, Camelot Inn, BW Park Place Inn, Tropicana Inn, Desert Inn, Candy Cane Inn. Basically anywhere along that vacinity on Harbor Bl. I don't think you need to stay on property unless you can get it for the same as one of the others I mentioned.

As for eating, on a previous trip I ate at Carnation Cafe. That is the only sit down place that I've eaten at solo. I had no problems with service and the food is really good there. Any of the counter service places are great, just depends on what you prefer, chicken, mexican, pasta...there's plenty of choices.

I've gone solo twice now and had fantastic times each trip. Last trip there wasn't much in the way of single-rider lines at the MK, but it worked well enough in DCA.

I went the Good Neighbors way one time and the other booked via Travelocity. The time I went through Disney was better, as the hotel (Fairfield Inn) was closer to the main entry and I felt a very good bang for the buck. The other time I stayed at the Alamo Inn, which was pretty dumpy but okay for the "bear necessitites," as long as you take your shower in the evening.

I've never stayed at one of the resort hotels (although that will be changing now that I'm DVC) because I could never believe the price was worth the difference. As a WDW vet, I was used to paying for value or mod accomodations, so paying $1000+ just seemed too steep. I always wanted to though, and as I said, I plan to now. But if you're a budget solo travller, I'd definitely go local.

what sucks is having to wait in a 2 hour line by yourself... i get soooo bored!

i usually just bring my PSP with me and play and listen to music :P

i used to go once a week until it started to get boring :/

I have gone solo twice now.. it was great!
I had a blast doing the following cycle: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, single rider Splash and Pooh. Repeat as many times as you like, high capacity rides with shorter lines.

DCA I did Soarin (hit or miss on getting the single rider passes) and Screamin with no wating in lines. Mulholland Madness also has single rider but it's not a favorite of mine.
On busy days Maliboomer and GRR have single rider as well.

I picked up take out orders at Mimi's on the way back to the hotel (HoJo's). They pack them so nicely, everything was still piping hot at the hotel. Nice sized servings, silverware, napkin, butter pats and more bread then you could possibly eat at one sitting for one person. I saved my carrot bread for breakfast.. YUM! Their corn chowder is very good on a cool night.
It was about a 10 minute wait from time of order until they had it packaged.
You can also call ahead.

I always felt safe walking back and forth between hotel and DL. Lots of other guests walking too and it is all well lit.

Check on Travelocity for good deals, try Priceline or see if HoJos has entertainment card rate for your dates.

Dont forget, take advantage of all the Singe Rider line oppertunity... like Soaring, Scream, etc...

disneegrl4eva said:
why :confused3 ...you're riding them with me :p and TOT :lmao:

pffft, you really want me to puke dont you :P

hmm, on Soaring, my dad and I went through the single rider line... we both got into the same theater, and only waited like 15 mins... instead of the 1 hour wait time it was saying for Standby line...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter