DL Food Opinions Wanted: Best Tacos, Best Cajun/Creole

We had Café Orleans last trip. Not sure about authentic or not but the food was great! It's a favorite of some of the Disney bloggers I follow.

Yes! I've heard a lot about the Monte Cristo - looks really good. I'm also interested in the shrimp and grits, but wondering if it's better at Ralph Brennan's. (My husband really enjoys shrimp and grits.) I know it's going to be different everywhere you go.

We haven’t had Cafe Orleans(yet) but I loved my meal at Ralph Brennan’s. And the beignets are MUCH better there than at the takeout window in DL. Also I believe the gumbo served at CO is the same as Blue Bayou and I have had that and it’s legit...very good.

Yeah, we decided against Blue Bayou, but we do both love gumbo! Have you had the gumbo at Ralph Brennan's to compare, by any chance?

We do breakfast at the Jazz Kitchen Express (Ralph Brennan's) window - I get beignets, DD get the french toast dippers (beignets shaped like sticks ;)) and DH gets the Big Easy breakfast bowl. Love their beignets - much better than the ones inside the parks. We have done dinner at RB as well and it was very good, but I enjoyed our Monte Cristo (say "ours" cause it was HUGE and had to split it with DD) and pomme frites at CO more.

Rancho del Zocalo is pretty good, big portions. Love the cinnamon chips :lovestruc

Looking like we're going to have to do both! Nice to know we can split the Monte Cristo though - didn't know it was that big.

What are the cinnamon chips? Are they like potato chips?

Brennan's over Cafe Orleans. No argument.

FWIW, we often enjoy the Jazz Kitchen Express which is the counter service version of select Brennan's dishes including the Gumbo YaYa.

Thank you - you never know when the need for gumbo will hit! So there's is really good?

We really like Tortilla Joe's, their table-side guacamole is delicious and made just to your liking.
We also go to Rancho Del Zocolo, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Joe's.

We don't really care for Cafe Orleans and I'm not sure why. When I look at menus, there's just nothing that sounds good to me there. We do like Ralph Brennan's though, had a lovely Valentine's dinner there one year and often stop at the to go option for breakfast.

Thank you! Looks like we are going to be going to both Tortilla Joe's and Ralph Brennan's. With such good talk about a couple of places in the parks we might have to sample from those as well.

I don't know about Jazz Kitchen. But, if considering Tortilla Joes, get a reservation when the window opens or soon after. Even if you need to cancel later. They do fill up and the walk up line can be one hour+.

Oh, thank you. I wouldn't have thought that.

Thank you - you never know when the need for gumbo will hit! So there's is really good?
We enjoy it ... but it isn't anything like my Grandmother's Gumbo, you'll understand. Brennan's uses a very dark roux, so thick it is almost like a chili (ain't like any gumbo I've had at home??) with thick slices of andouille sausage. Give it a few good dashes of tabasco, dip some french bread and enjoy!!

EDITING FOR CONTEXT: The closest gumbo I've found to my Grandmother's was served at Tujaques in New Orleans. Of course, theirs is "gumbo du jour" so who knows which recipe they'll use on any given day. Hmm, must go back soon!

Last edited:
Tortilla Joe's for Mexican table service (or the taqueria as mentioned for just quick tacos)

Craftsman Bar & Grill at the Grand Californian or Lamplight Lounge for Nachos and beer. If you want beef nachos...go to Craftsman Bar (the new pool bar, NOT the quick service inside)...they are amazing! If you want lobster nachos, LL Lounge.

Rancho del Zocalo for "in park" Mexican.

Ralph Brennan's for Cajun/Creole. No contest. Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou are NOT it.

Ralph Brennan's Express for Beignets.

Thanks!
Have you tried the nachos at the Tangaroa Terrace by any chance? They're kind of Hawaiin/Asian inspired, but they sound interesting.

Thanks!
Have you tried the nachos at the Tangaroa Terrace by any chance? They're kind of Hawaiin/Asian inspired, but they sound interesting.

I thought they sounded interesting too, but then I saw that they have NO CHEESE. That's not nachos to me. The pulled pork poutine seems like a better use of those flavors.

Yes! I've heard a lot about the Monte Cristo - looks really good. I'm also interested in the shrimp and grits, but wondering if it's better at Ralph Brennan's. (My husband really enjoys shrimp and grits.) I know it's going to be different everywhere you go.
I had the shrimp and grits at Cafe Orleans on 7/4. blech. I will not repeat this again. The portion is very small. One can hardly find the grits as they are simply a way to mildly texturize the thick, nasty cheese sauce. Kinda sickening, really. FWIW, after last week's experience, we've taken Cafe Orleans off our restaurant list.

We enjoy it ... but it isn't anything like my Grandmother's Gumbo, you'll understand. Brennan's uses a very dark roux, so thick it is almost like a chili (ain't like any gumbo I've had at home??) with thick slices of andouille sausage. Give it a few good dashes of tabasco, dip some french bread and enjoy!!

I think I'd like to try your Grandmother's, lol! We're not that experienced with gumbo, never been to New Orleans, but have liked what we've had. Some better than others, of course. I have always enjoyed it when there was crawfish in it, but you don't seem to see that much anymore. I'm looking forward to trying theirs - thank you!

I thought they sounded interesting too, but then I saw that they have NO CHEESE. That's not nachos to me. The pulled pork poutine seems like a better use of those flavors.

Yes, I'd want both - and that's not a good idea! But you're right, no cheese is a nacho fail. Looks like Craftsman Bar and Grill, or the pool bar, if we do nachos then. I love lobster, but I just don't know about lobster nachos - I need the onions, the sour cream, the jalapenos...

I had the shrimp and grits at Cafe Orleans on 7/4. blech. I will not repeat this again. The portion is very small. One can hardly find the grits as they are simply a way to mildly texturize the thick, nasty cheese sauce. Kinda sickening, really. FWIW, after last week's experience, we've taken Cafe Orleans off our restaurant list.

Thank you - we'll definitely skip the shrimp and grits. I still might have to try the Monte Cristo though...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter