DL Food Opinions Wanted: Best Tacos, Best Cajun/Creole

DeniseJH

DIS Veteran
Hi! We're going to DL for the first time this fall. Since we only are there for 4 days we want to make sure we get to sample the best food that we can. I've seen from reading menus that there are a lot of places with Mexican/Tex. Mex. food. What are your opinions on which places are best. Also, how does the food compare between the Creole Café and Ralph Brennan's? Thanks!

Yeah, I'm an idiot - I meant Café Orleans. :o
Lol. I should have realized! Personally, I'd simply compare the menus. Brennan's has a MUCH more extensive menu. The beignets are quite different with Brennan's being more traditional but I prefer the Disneyland ones as I find them less oily- but as far as those go you can get them walk-up at the Jazz Kitchen to-go window and at the walk up Mint Julep Bar in Disneyland.

I do enjoy people watching from the Cafe Orleans patio in the afternoons but I would NOT call their food even remotely authentic NOLA ;)

If you want good Mexican food you have to go off-property. There's a really good place just South on Harbor (Sabroso Mexican Grill - Guy Fiery has been there). Not so much a taco place though. My favorite taco place may be too far for you (it's in Fullerton - North of Disneyland) - Tacos Puro Jalisco (now that place is the bomb - they just don't speak a ton of English ;))

If you want good Mexican food you have to go off-property. There's a really good place just South on Harbor (Sabroso Mexican Grill - Guy Fiery has been there). Not so much a taco place though. My favorite taco place may be too far for you (it's in Fullerton - North of Disneyland) - Tacos Puro Jalisco (now that place is the bomb - they just don't speak a ton of English ;))

I appreciate the info, but that is not in the agenda for this trip. We want to spend as much time in the parks as possible.

Lol. I should have realized! Personally, I'd simply compare the menus. Brennan's has a MUCH more extensive menu. The beignets are quite different with Brennan's being more traditional but I prefer the Disneyland ones as I find them less oily- but as far as those go you can get them walk-up at the Jazz Kitchen to-go window and at the walk up Mint Julep Bar in Disneyland.

I do enjoy people watching from the Cafe Orleans patio in the afternoons but I would NOT call their food even remotely authentic NOLA ;)

Well, I guess we're just going to have to try the beignets at both places then! :) I have looked at the menus, I just wondered which people in the know considered better, or more authentic. Thank you!

I appreciate the info, but that is not in the agenda for this trip. We want to spend as much time in the parks as possible.
If that's the case, the "best" options for Mexican are 1) the Taqueria (outside of Tortilla Joe's) - this quick service place is a good value and 2) Rancho Del Zocolo (if you want a counter service). I will eat at both but don't really consider it Mexican (there's no Tex-Mex in SoCal that I'm aware of but I'm not looking for it)

If that's the case, the "best" options for Mexican are 1) the Taqueria (outside of Tortilla Joe's) - this quick service place is a good value and 2) Rancho Del Zocolo (if you want a counter service). I will eat at both but don't really consider it Mexican (there's no Tex-Mex in SoCal that I'm aware of but I'm not looking for it)

Thank you - we are considering having a sit down meal at Tortilla Joe's, but if we decide to do Mexican just once I was wondering if perhaps people thought other places in the parks had better stuff. Aren't nachos considered TexMex? I thought so, but I certainly could be wrong. I love nachos! Nachos and a beer is a perfect meal.

Thank you - we are considering having a sit down meal at Tortilla Joe's, but if we decide to do Mexican just once I was wondering if perhaps people thought other places in the parks had better stuff. Aren't nachos considered TexMex? I thought so, but I certainly could be wrong. I love nachos! Nachos and a beer is a perfect meal.
If you want Nachos go to either White Water Snacks (in the Grand Californian) or if you want to spend a lot more (and get lobster), try Lamplight Lounge

We had Café Orleans last trip. Not sure about authentic or not but the food was great! It's a favorite of some of the Disney bloggers I follow.

Tortilla Joes is your best bet IMO. Much better than the Mexican food inside the parks

We haven’t had Cafe Orleans(yet) but I loved my meal at Ralph Brennan’s. And the beignets are MUCH better there than at the takeout window in DL. Also I believe the gumbo served at CO is the same as Blue Bayou and I have had that and it’s legit...very good.

We do breakfast at the Jazz Kitchen Express (Ralph Brennan's) window - I get beignets, DD get the french toast dippers (beignets shaped like sticks ;)) and DH gets the Big Easy breakfast bowl. Love their beignets - much better than the ones inside the parks. We have done dinner at RB as well and it was very good, but I enjoyed our Monte Cristo (say "ours" cause it was HUGE and had to split it with DD) and pomme frites at CO more.

Rancho del Zocalo is pretty good, big portions. Love the cinnamon chips :lovestruc

Brennan's over Cafe Orleans. No argument.

FWIW, we often enjoy the Jazz Kitchen Express which is the counter service version of select Brennan's dishes including the Gumbo YaYa.

We really like Tortilla Joe's, their table-side guacamole is delicious and made just to your liking.
We also go to Rancho Del Zocolo, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Joe's.

We don't really care for Cafe Orleans and I'm not sure why. When I look at menus, there's just nothing that sounds good to me there. We do like Ralph Brennan's though, had a lovely Valentine's dinner there one year and often stop at the to go option for breakfast.

I don't know about Jazz Kitchen. But, if considering Tortilla Joes, get a reservation when the window opens or soon after. Even if you need to cancel later. They do fill up and the walk up line can be one hour+.

Tortilla Joe's for Mexican table service (or the taqueria as mentioned for just quick tacos)

Craftsman Bar & Grill at the Grand Californian or Lamplight Lounge for Nachos and beer. If you want beef nachos...go to Craftsman Bar (the new pool bar, NOT the quick service inside)...they are amazing! If you want lobster nachos, LL Lounge.

Rancho del Zocalo for "in park" Mexican.

Ralph Brennan's for Cajun/Creole. No contest. Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou are NOT it.

Ralph Brennan's Express for Beignets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter