DIY things to do in Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel for a young family?

We did a private jeep tour in Cozumel. LOVED IT! It is completely custom. You get to see and do what you want to do. Our guide was Jose and he was very knowledgable. I would request him again. I did some research in advance about the places we wanted to see and do. He gave us advise for haggling and fair prices. The jeeps were older and a bit beat up but fit our needs. You can either drive your own jeep or have the guide drive. We elected to have Jose drive so we could just enjoy the sights. There was a cooler w/ water, beer and soda. Jose called himself our photographer and made sure we were all able to be in pics together. The price was way better than DCL (my youngest was even free) and you weren't stuck in a caravan of jeeps and follow their schedule.

We started at a resort for beach and snorkeling. Beach chairs were included. My boys are young (3 and 6). This beach was a little rocky but the kids enjoyed finding hermit crabs. Jose was the snorkeling guide and took my husband out (I stayed on the beach with the boys). They saw a lot of sea life.

Then we toured ruins and the first catholic church. We didn't stay long. Enough to take some pics. Jose was great about making recommendations for the local shops in this area.

Then we went to lunch which was EXCELLENT and included. The alcohol was extra but worth the cost. The restaurant was called Andale. It was amazing. There are hammocks and swings that face the beach. The guacamole was the best I've ever had.

The beach across the street was beautiful but rough with lots of waves. As my boys are young he took us to a little lagoon that he said most local children learn to swim. We were the only tourists at the beach. There were some locals but it was very private. There were no waves and the water was warm. We found lots of star fish.

I think this is one of the best options on Cozumel. It is non-DCL but I never worried about not making it back to the ship. The price was great and depending on ages your kids could be free.

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-jeep-tour.html

I would recommend Fort Zachary Taylor for a beach in Key West. You can walk from port (the Fort is close to the cruise doc but its a bit of a walk to get to the beach). Key West isn't exactly known for their beaches but if you go to the Fort beach and walk to the end (near the rocks) its sandy and nice (we spent New Years Day there). Also, the kids love to explore the Fort whenever we are there. It's pretty interesting. We go to KW multiple times a year and our kids are young (2 and 5). Despite what you might read, its very family friendly during the day (and most nights too). Also, my daughter LOVES the Conch train tour and makes me ride it whenever we are there. She is also a huge fan of the Butterfly museum which is on the other end of Duval Street. One note about the butterfly museum...its really cool but not very large so be sure to take your time and not rush through it. Have a fantastic trip!!

Silly question...but did your bring a car seat/booster for the kids?

I❤MICKEY;52864653 said:
We did a private jeep tour in Cozumel. LOVED IT! It is completely custom. You get to see and do what you want to do. Our guide was Jose and he was very knowledgable. I would request him again. I did some research in advance about the places we wanted to see and do. He gave us advise for haggling and fair prices. The jeeps were older and a bit beat up but fit our needs. You can either drive your own jeep or have the guide drive. We elected to have Jose drive so we could just enjoy the sights. There was a cooler w/ water, beer and soda. Jose called himself our photographer and made sure we were all able to be in pics together. The price was way better than DCL (my youngest was even free) and you weren't stuck in a caravan of jeeps and follow their schedule.

We started at a resort for beach and snorkeling. Beach chairs were included. My boys are young (3 and 6). This beach was a little rocky but the kids enjoyed finding hermit crabs. Jose was the snorkeling guide and took my husband out (I stayed on the beach with the boys). They saw a lot of sea life.

Then we toured ruins and the first catholic church. We didn't stay long. Enough to take some pics. Jose was great about making recommendations for the local shops in this area.

Then we went to lunch which was EXCELLENT and included. The alcohol was extra but worth the cost. The restaurant was called Andale. It was amazing. There are hammocks and swings that face the beach. The guacamole was the best I've ever had.

The beach across the street was beautiful but rough with lots of waves. As my boys are young he took us to a little lagoon that he said most local children learn to swim. We were the only tourists at the beach. There were some locals but it was very private. There were no waves and the water was warm. We found lots of star fish.

I think this is one of the best options on Cozumel. It is non-DCL but I never worried about not making it back to the ship. The price was great and depending on ages your kids could be free.

http://www.cozumelcruiseexcursions.net/cozumel-jeep-tour.html

I brought a booster last year for my smaller one based on Florida state laws as we rented a SUV before and after DCL.

Is Key West warm enough in general early Jan for beaching?

The tour looks fun in Cozumel, not sure my kids would enjoy it, they're happy enough playing with other kids on a beach and swim all day.

Silly question...but did your bring a car seat/booster for the kids?

We didn't. Frankly I didn't think about it in advance and normally the tour buses/shuttles won't allow then. Both boys did wear seat belts. I never felt nervous or unsafe however I do realize it was a risk.

The best thing about this option is you really get to do what you want. It's like having a private driver who knows the ins/outs of what to see and do. Their website gave some recommendations and then we picked what was of interest. If you want to stay longer at the beach you can. If you want to spend more time shopping you can. You aren't forced to follow a schedule or time limit. It was very cost effect in my opinion. Substantially less than the DCL jeep tour.

I would recommend Fort Zachary Taylor for a beach in Key West. You can walk from port (the Fort is close to the cruise doc but its a bit of a walk to get to the beach). Key West isn't exactly known for their beaches but if you go to the Fort beach and walk to the end (near the rocks) its sandy and nice (we spent New Years Day there). Also, the kids love to explore the Fort whenever we are there. It's pretty interesting. We go to KW multiple times a year and our kids are young (2 and 5). Despite what you might read, its very family friendly during the day (and most nights too). Also, my daughter LOVES the Conch train tour and makes me ride it whenever we are there. She is also a huge fan of the Butterfly museum which is on the other end of Duval Street. One note about the butterfly museum...its really cool but not very large so be sure to take your time and not rush through it. Have a fantastic trip!!

I second this vote for Fort Zachary if you want to hit a beach in Key West. That was our back-up plan on our cruise last September. However, we instead booked a private charter boat with Fun in the Sun Charters. It was AWESOME, and our 3 kids (ages 7, 10 and 12) LOVED it. He'll cater to whatever you want to do. I highly recommend it. So easy with kids, too. I detailed the experience in my trip report. See the link in my signature.

You could also just roam around Key West a bit, too. The aquarium, Mallory Square, etc.

Looks like the projected temp on the day we'll be there is low 22°C and high 25°C, average water temp in Jan is 21°C... beautiful walking weather, maybe not "hot" beachy weather.

Is it worth it to rent a vehicle, go biking, or is mostly everything small kids would enjoy within walking distance?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts